People are Dying and Our President is Playing Golf

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (29 posts)
  1. crankalicious profile image89
    crankaliciousposted 3 years ago

In 2014, while we were dealing with the Ebola outbreak, President Obama decided it was okay to play golf. 2 people died from that outbreak. Here's what Donald Trump had to say about it:

"President Obama has a major meeting on the N.Y.C. Ebola outbreak, with people flying in from all over the country, but decided to play golf!"

"it sends the wrong signal" and he should have given up golf as president "to really focus on the job."

This is clearly a sign that Obama was a horrible President - all the golf he played.

1. Sharlee01 profile image79
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

OK... I know this may not be taken well, but it's just a thought, my view. Trump from the very first days of this crisis seems to have the opinion this would all pass. He never seemed to be fearful of catching the virus, and it is very apparent he won't wear a mask.  It seems he is not going to stop living his life as he did prior to the crisis.

He has made it very clear he wants the country to open and return to some kind of normal. I am sure many will be angered seeing him playing gold, while the lockdown is still in place for so many.

He certainly is not playing the political game one would think he would with the election right around the corner.

crankaliciousposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This forum is about Obama and his golfing during the Ebola outbreak. He clearly wasn’t working hard enough or just didn’t care. And sadly, it plays right into the stereotype of the lazy black man.

Title --- People are Dying and Our President is Playing Golf
          Note the words OUR PRESIDENT.

Maybe you should change the title to  --  If People Are Dying Should A President Play Golf?

I ever had a problem with Obama playing golf or do I have a problem with Trump playing golf.

I think it is you that is reading race into this. But that is clearly one of the Dem's best cards. A perfect example of groupthink. And you don't realize that?

1. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Trump is the one who had a problem with Obama playing golf. Trump also promised he would not play golf as president.

Trump just encouraged churches to open up even though there have been several COVID outbreaks, and deaths, associated with church gatherings. Then, he spends Memorial Day, normally a somber day of remembrance of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, playing golf. After a morning Twitter rampage.

Lovely man.

2. crankalicious profile image89

Oh, upper class white woman, please teach me about race relations.

1. GA Anderson profile image87
              GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

A request for learning should always be treated with a respectful reply. Unless, of course, that request is merely a bit of attempted sarcastic wit.

How should your request be viewed Carnkalicious?

Was it sincere, or was it sarcastic? Which of these literary devices best describe the intent of your comment?

GA

It was neither, it was bait.  I Crank's name was masked, I could have named him as the author of the comment. He sits behind a keyboard and baits. No more no less.

2. Sharlee01 profile image79

Once again groupthink...  I am I to assume under the guidelines you live by "Groupthink Groupies"  --- Under the category "Upper-Class White Women"  the first characteristic listed is something to do with race relations or are you just assuming I am racist?

Was it not you that said this ---  "This forum is about Obama and his golfing during the Ebola outbreak. He clearly wasn’t working hard enough or just didn’t care. And sadly, it plays right into the stereotype of the lazy black man."

It was you that entered race into the conversation. I was just responding to the above statement.

Again, I think it is you that is reading race into this. But that is clearly one of the Dem's best cards. A perfect example of groupthink. And you don't realize that?

I think the fact that you have become so defensive says a lot.

Not defensive, just responding with my view. I actually enjoy getting to know a bit more about your mindset.  Your comments are predictable.

Somebody accusing a black man, particularly the President of the U.S., of being lazy, taps into a long-standing stereotype. I'm sorry if you're not familiar with the stereotype.

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
            MizBejabbersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Respectfully, Sharlee, I don't understand this sentence. I copied and pasted it exactly as you wrote it.

"I ever had a problem with Obama playing golf or do I have a problem with Trump playing golf."

If I had entered this forum and had not read some of the previous comments, I, too, would not have read race into Crank's comment. I would have read politics because Obama was a Democrat. I hate to say this, but I believe that African Americans are twice as fast to react that something is a racial slur than white people are. We are used to being criticized anytime we don't agree to give away the farm to anyone of color (except Native Americans, of course). We work harder to leave color out of the picture for that very reason.
            Let me say for anyone who isn't familiar with me, I am not a Trump supporter and I would take Obama any day over this low quality white man child who is alleged to be leading us. However, I don't support or condone all of Obama's policies or actions. I just don't see this constant whining and calling in the race card anytime there is a friction between black and white in politics.
            Cory Booker and Kamala Harris did this, and they both lost my support although I had been seriously looking at them both. Any time a black political candidate starts playing the race card, I believe they probably are a special interest candidate who will not work for the good of the whole country. Obama did not do this, or if he did, I was not aware of it.
            I thought this whole forum was about, in Trump's case, the pot calling the kettle black. (Excuse my pun, it's just an old euphemism, not a racial thang) Not about race.

I will admit, and I do this far to often, I did not read anyone else's statement. I responded to Crank's opening comment, and to his ongoing comments addressed to me. I saw no question and just responded to his comment. I certainly noted no racial undertones or I wouldn't have replied.  I simply felt he was showing the fact that Trump showed a level of hypocrisy playing golf during a virus crisis (the pot calling the kettle black). Due apparently to Trump admonishing Obama for doing the same during the Ebola crisis. Not sure what others gleaned from the statement if there was an underlying meaning to his comment, I did not pick it up. 

To clarify my statement --- "I never had a problem with Obama playing golf or do I have a problem with Trump playing golf."
              (corrected ever, meant to be never).

The context of that statement was to express that I never cared one way or the other if Obama played golf or when he decided to play golf. I feel the same about Trump. Hopefully you will read the progression of the conversation Crank and I was having.

To be honest, I am not sure what Crank was trying to get at with his initial post.--- It certainly did not seem racial to me.

Crank --- "In 2014, while we were dealing with the Ebola outbreak, President Obama decided it was okay to play golf. 2 people died from that outbreak. Here's what Donald Trump had to say about it:

"President Obama has a major meeting on the N.Y.C. Ebola outbreak, with people flying in from all over the country, but decided to play golf!"

"it sends the wrong signal" and he should have given up golf as president "to really focus on the job."

This is clearly a sign that Obama was a horrible President - all the golf he played"

The first mention of race was a vague baiting comment to me.   "Oh, upper-class white woman, please teach me about race relations."

Which I found odd at best. I think you might find it interesting to follow the progression of my conversation with Crank, as well as his last post.

https://hubstatic.com/15033709.jpg

1. profile image0

He is so gross.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You seem surprised by this hyporcrisy.  smile

1. IslandBites profile image90
        IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hey! It's been a while!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/8c/5d/f58c5d8bdd8124dea9e0bc34b671d0ca.png

1. profile image0

I second that! Hey, IB, how are things going in Puerto Rico? Are some restrictions being lifted?

1. IslandBites profile image90
            IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi. Yes, it's been slow, but some days ago the governor decided to give an inch and some people decided to take a mile. mad She opened beaches just to exercise and sports, but just as in US, many idiots decided Covid went away and it was time to party. roll 

Restaurants now can serve food but only at 25% capacity, hair salons and barber shops by appointment only. Retail stores will be allowed to reopen but under limited capacity, and people will be prohibited from trying on clothes, among other restrictions. Etc.

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago

Might as well give it up. Trump fans don't care what he says or does and will not hold him accountable for any of his many faults and failures.

I have heard it said that Biden has a 'tin ear'—he doesn't understand how what he says is heard by others, I would say that Pres. Trump has a 'glass eye'—he doesn't see how his actions are seen by others.

GA

1. profile image0

Yes, they're both out of touch in different ways. However, it appears (to me, at least) that one has the humility and ability to learn from mistakes and the other doesn't.

As a rule, caucasians should probably not try to "whitesplain" black behavior to black people.

True words. It almost never turns out as intended. ;-)

GA

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
          MizBejabbersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's true. Neither race has walked in the other's shoes.

Two people died during the Ebola crisis and Obama was out playing golf. Why is he not in jail?

1. profile image0

The deep state protects him just like they do Hillary. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)