Let's get to know each other: Do You Prefer Coffee or Tea?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Bills Place profile image85
    Bills Placeposted 5 years ago

I was put on a Candida diet about 7 weeks ago, instantly had to stop drinking coffee (green tea only). At the 6 week mark, I was able to start re-introducing foods I had to eliminate, coffee was one of the first options.

However, this morning I found myself tied between wanting tea, or coffee! I actually opted for the Green tea with matcha, and now (afternoon) I am drinking some coffee for a mid-day pick-me up as I still have over 2,000 words to deliver tonight (client work).

So, what do you prefer, coffee, tea, or both?

Let's take it a step further, what type(s) of tea/coffee do you prefer, and why?

I usually drink:

Green tea (lately, green tea with Matcha from Lipton).
    Maxwell House or Starbucks, but really want to try Death Wish coffee sometime!

1. Thelma Alberts profile image91
      Thelma Albertsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I prefer tea. I drink the PG brand of tea and I buy it in an Indian shop here. I prefer drinking it in the English way, with milk and sugar.

Bills Placeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What type of tea? I like it that way too, but here in the south people find it 'weird'. So, when I'm in a restaurant I sometimes put half & half in my ice tea just to get reactions. LOL

We mainly have grocery store brand teas around here, but have got some specialty tea's from a local health food store over the past couple months.

2. poppyr profile image91
      poppyrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like both big_smile

3. liesl5858 profile image82
      liesl5858posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I drink tea, green tea and coffee. But I drink coffee most of the time.

4. Teeuwynn Woodruff profile image93
      Teeuwynn Woodruffposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't really drink coffee much, although my husband and my two oldest kids are obsessed with it. I like green tea the best and have it most days, iced.

2. Cre8tor profile image93
    Cre8torposted 5 years ago

Coffee always. Could take it intravenously. We have a Keurig however and that's my preferred delivery method. Often it's McD's or Dunkin' brand but I love Kona most. In the end if I want coffee I'll drink just about any kind and since I always want coffee I've had lots of kinds.

Addiction #2 - Pastries (w/ a side of coffee) I show no real prejudice here either.

My mom got me a Keurig last Christmas, then shortly after I was told I couldn't have coffee, it was depressing... But, I'm able to use it again now!

I've tried McDonald's coffee a couple times, I like their frappe's on occasion, but can't stand their plain coffee, at least in my local location.

I've had Kona a few times, mainly from a gas station or Monster's 'Kona Blend', if that's similar? One thing I like about traveling to new places (and bigger cities), is the variety of options not available in my small area.

Yeah, pastries got great with coffee. ^_^

3. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 5 years ago

Neither. Coffee gives me a terrible stomach ache and I absolute loath any kind of tea. I'm a water and milk person.

I didn't start drinking coffee until my mid 20's, but if I remember right I had stomach aches on occasion when first trying it too. I thought it may have been the type, so I experiemnted and eventually it stopped messing with me.

I try to drink water as much as possible. Far as milk goes, until I was put on the Candida diet by my doctor, I would drink milk daily. Since the only dairy allowed on that diet was cream cheese and heavy whipping cream, I ended up drinking unsweetened vanilla almond milk the last 2 months. Actually acquired a taste for it after a bit, with some stevia and heavy cream it's like a vanilla shake.

4. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years ago

Like Titia, I prefer water and milk. I used to drink lots of coffee, but it was giving me anxiety attacks.

I can see coffee raising anxiety. At first, I didn't even care for the taste of coffee, but I decided to experiment after reading studies believe 1-2 cups of coffee a day could have health benefits, such as reducing risk of cancer and Alzheimer, as I've had family members suffer from both.

The down side, it does seem to give me heart burn now and then.

5. Jessie L Watson profile image65
    Jessie L Watsonposted 5 years ago

I've tried to be a tea person. Didn't work out. The best coffee is the hardest to find or the most expensive. It's worth it because every coffee is a different bodily experience. Some generic store-bought coffee makes me physically ill. I prefer a light roast with very low acidity.

I like various roasts, but fully understand about the generic store brands. We tried one and it was horrible!

I also like espresso, but my machine broke, and brewing it in a Keurig just isn't the same.

1. Jessie L Watson profile image65
        Jessie L Watsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Definitely two different worlds.

I'm a french press guy, myself. It's a simple set-up but guests always love my coffee. I've found a good ratio apparently.

6. Gregory DeVictor profile image95

Jessie, I tried drinking plain green tea for a period of time, but it just didn’t work out. I understand what you mean.

1. Jessie L Watson profile image65
      Jessie L Watsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I tried to switch to the matcha powder which is supposed to be very high in caffeine but it never moved the needle for me. I have a thick constitution. The matcha itself was also just plain boring - flavor-wise.

Yerba-Mate is preferable to green tea if I'm going to drink caffeinated tea.

7. Gregory DeVictor profile image95

The worst coffee that I ever tasted came from a vending machine when I was in college back in Erie. It was horrible!

8. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

I don't have blood in my veins, I have coffee.

9. dredcuan profile image91
    dredcuanposted 5 years ago

I prefer Tea because I used to infuse some other flavors and ingredients with it.

Yeah, I think tea has more ways to get creative because you can change the flavor based on adding or subtracting various herbs, fruits, etc.

Coffee does have it's options, but mainly milk/cream or sugar. Don't know anyone who's put lavender in their coffee. LOL

10. cleoaddams profile image81
    cleoaddamsposted 5 years ago

I like both, although I'm trying to stay away from caffeine. So, at the moment, I'm drinking neither. I do miss a good Cappuccino or hot Matcha from Starbucks.

I went 6 weeks without caffeine, and just my luck work picked up soon as I was told 'no caffeine for 6 weeks'. It sucked!

11. Emmy ali profile image60
    Emmy aliposted 5 years ago

I prefer tea.

What type of tea(s) do you enjoy the most?

1. Readmikenow profile image93
        Readmikenowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have a mixed marriage.  My wife is a huge tea drinker.  Her favorite is Chai tea.  I prefer coffee.  Dark Columbian roast.  I can't deal with her tea, but she likes the smell of my coffee.  It works.

Haha, I've tried Chai tea and it is an acquired taste for sure.

2. Emmy ali profile image60
        Emmy aliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I prefer red tea and tea with milk.

Red tea, like hibiscus tea or is there other types of red tea?

1. Emmy ali profile image60
            Emmy aliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I refer to hibiscus tea.

12. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

I like tea much better than coffee.  Hot in the winter, and iced, by the gallon, all summer!

Black tea, only, and unadulterated, please!  Straight black, and "strong enough for a mouse to walk across the top!" wink

I do not like green or herbal teas, at all!!

Coffee...hmmm...not much of a coffee drinker, at least not in the same way I take my tea!  LOL
    I want lots of "adulterants"  in my coffee.  I take it with chocolate, for a coffee mocha, (lots of it--basically, make it a deep, rich hot chocolate with a shot of coffee! wink  ) I drink coffee mochas Fri, Sat, and Sun at home, and I have a gift card for Starbucks that I use on the way to class on Tuesdays.

Otherwise, I'm strictly a tea gal.  My other beverages of choice, especially when it's hot and we're working outdoors, are Gatorade or plain old ice water! wink

I'm not big on Gatorade, always makes me more thirsty or gives me dry mouth. If it's hot and I'm outside, I usually have ice water or ice tea. wink

I like my tea with and without sugar, depending on my mood. I'll occasionally put creamer in my black tea, it gets fun stares from people here.

Not big on herbal tea, but drink them occasionally. Lately I've acquired a taste for green tea, since my doctor said no black tea for 6 weeks. hmm

13. Richard Craig profile image60
    Richard Craigposted 5 years ago

Short answer, coffee.

Long answer, I'm making lifestyle changes myself.  Lately I've tried to be more health conscious so I've cut milk out of coffee altogether and I only have a tea 1/2 times a day with milk.  I used to drink a load of milky strong coffee but I felt it was time to start looking after myself more.  I also drink much more water than I used to and to be honest, to my surprise, I do feel better in every way.

Yeah, I get very little sleep when work picks up so I tend to drink coffee a bunch for that reason. I had finally gotten to where I could drink coffee with little to no creamer, but after no coffee for over 6 weeks on the candida diet, I have to use creamer again.

On the bright side, I am still using Stevia instead of real sugar.

1. Richard Craig profile image60
        Richard Craigposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I know it's hard to cut out your favourite things I mean it seems all the good stuff is the worst stuff you should consume.  I don't think I could cut coffee out completely so you deserve congratulations on that.

Strangely, I think the easiest thing to cut out for me was the soda and sugar (as I was allowed Stevia). I'm definitely catching up on the lack of coffee though!

The hardest, was probably bread (no yeast or grains allowed). So I got creative and made my own using coconut flour which don't contain yeast or grains. Although, a very time consuming process for a beginner.

It is weird that the worst things are the best, but I just looked at the doctor and said "Challenge accepted".

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Interestingly, Richard, I read some years back (speaking only of black tea),  that if you put milk and sugar in your tea, you are drinking the chemical components of leather!

That rather blew my mind, but did not require me to change my tea-drinking habits, as I've never liked "stuff" in my tea.

14. Monique K-G profile image86
    Monique K-Gposted 5 years ago

I am not a coffee person, and only started getting into teas - I personally find that fruity teas or herbal teas are the best. I like Twining, but Lipton is also a great brand.
    Congratulations on cutting Coffee! I read that it has similar effects to drugs, which makes someone dependent on it and sometimes suffer from withdrawal.

I like both of those brands of tea as well. smile

On the withdrawal part, I believe it's the caffiene aspect in general. I did not really have any withdrawals from eliminating coffee for 6 weeks. However, in 2011 I did go through withdrawal from caffiene, the worst part being the mood swings (those lasted about 6 months).

I had gotten fired from my factory job of 1.5 years for getting the flu. At that point, I no longer had to consume all the energy drinks and energy pills to keep up. I was consuming way too much caffeine to pull the slack of co-workers. There were nights I would drink 1-2 Monsters, 1-2 Cocaine (energy drink, suppose to be 4 Redbull in a can) and take an energy pill within a 12hr shift.

I'm not sure how I didn't die...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Indeed!  Those canned caffeine drinks are murder! My husband tried one, once, and thought he was having a heart attack!  And that was from a little less than 1/2 a can!  He said, "Never again!"

Yeah, I remember when I first started drinking them to stay awake at work 1 can lasted a whole day, not just the 12 hour shift. I ended up getting immune or something, because after a while 1 can wasn't cutting it anymore.

Of course, being a factory job once the bosses found out I was keeping up with any machine, they put me on the fastest lines. Then my consumption increased, as my co-workers would fall behind, throw good parts away, etc. and guess who would get in trouble too? Yep, me.

After the fact, losing that job was probably the best thing that could happen. I'm not as caffeine dependent now, and own my own writing business. wink

15. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 5 years ago

The only kind of tea I can handle is green tea, every other kind I’ve had gives me a headache. And I have no idea why, not the caffeine content as I consume other forms of caffeine in mass amounts.

So I prefer coffee. Especially if it has Baileys in it. wink

I like Bailey's on occasion, and sometimes Irish Coffee. wink

On the tea, your headache issue has peaked my curiosity, because green tea comes from the same plant as black tea. The only two difference I know of are:

Harvest time - green tea is harvested from younger leaves.

Oxidation process - green tea has a shorter oxidation process, while black tea has a longer oxidation and fermenting process that creates a darker color, different taste.

I wonder if the older leaves or longer oxidation and fermenting process creates a certain chemical that triggers the headaches... Would be an interesting concept. ^_^

1. Aime F profile image69
        Aime Fposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Interesting! You know, I don’t think I’ve had tea frequently enough to rule out some other confounding variables either as far as the headaches go. I also did most of my green tea drinking in Asia so perhaps that’s an important point as well.

16. SoFary profile image60
    SoFaryposted 3 years ago

I prefer coffee. Despite the fact that I love herbal teas, I like coffee much more. Recently, I have started to try a variety of types of coffee and each time I am surprised how diverse this drink can be. Coffee in the morning has become a real ritual for me without which I can't start the day. I've been drinking Mushroom Coffee in the morning for the last couple of months, and this has been a major discovery for me this year! The ingredients of this coffee are completely organic, there are no GMOs, gluten and sugar. And most importantly, it is suitable for vegans( vegans will understand me, how difficult it is to find delicious coffee)

1. Patty Poet Lajoie profile image92
      Patty Poet Lajoieposted 3 years ago

I am a straight one cup in the morning coffee drinker. My brand is Eight O'clock.   Its been around since my grandparents drank it in the sixties. 5 Tablespoons of French Vanilla creamer and I have enough sugar and caffeine to jump start my battery. I am good for the day!

2. cvanthul profile image90
      cvanthulposted 3 years ago

I'm a tea drinker. I started drinking coffee after my son was born but have switched back almost entirely to tea. It only took 17 years!

I usually drink Earl Grey or a custom high-caffeine blend in the AM. If I drink tea in afternoon or evening, I drink a caffeine-free green tea or caffeine-free blend. I subscribe to Little Woods' monthly herbal tea shipment and mostly love everything they send.

3. Urwa786 profile image60
      Urwa786posted 3 years ago

I prefer tea because it relieves fatigue

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)