What are the best chew toys for a dog like really really really likes to chew on

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ari Lamsteinposted 11 years ago

What are the best chew toys for a dog like really really really likes to chew on things?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6646980_f260.jpg

2. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 11 years ago

Bully sticks, definitely!  They are bison tendons I think, and our dogs like them 10 times better than rawhide. They definitely keep them occupied.

1. profile image0
      Ari Lamsteinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the prompt answer rmcrayne!  Can you include a picture of a bully stick so I know what they look like?  Also, can you include a link to a place where I can buy some online?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ari - bully sticks are bull penises - they look like rawhides but are more expensive.

3. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As Ddt stated, bully sticks are expensive.  I usually order in bulk, or get them from Costco.  Here is a link:

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/

The Costco product is Cadet Real Meat Snack, 12 sticks, 12" long, for less than $20.

They keep my dogs

4. Melissa A Smith profile image95
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did not know they were penises...they are also good in that they are from free-range animals and I had them listed in my dog food article.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

My favorites are Nylabones and Red Barn real bones. Nylabone makes a wide variety of chew bones for every kind of chewer and the Red Barn bones are made in the USA. I do not recommend buying anything made in China, and I do not recommend rawhides, even if made in the USA because they are a choking and bowel obstruction hazard and because they are often manufactured using hazardous chemicals such as arsenic. Natural antlers are a good choice too, but they are expensive unless you have a friend who is a hunter or find them in the woods yourself! Also - Kongs - hard rubber toys with holes at both ends for stuffing the Kong.

4. Melissa A Smith profile image95
    Melissa A Smithposted 11 years ago
  5. Dragonrain profile image81
    Dragonrainposted 11 years ago

Antlers, and Himalayan Chews.  Antlers, like another posted mentioned, can be expensive to buy but I feel like they are worth it because for most dogs they last a very long time.  I'd consider my dog a pretty heavy chewer and he has an antler that he's had for about 2 years now!  Just keep in mind that antlers don't have as much flavor as other chews so not all dogs like them.  My dog does like them, but he'll only chew on his when he has nothing better to chew on.

I wrote a hub about Himalayan Chews awhile back, you can read it here...
    http://dragonrain.hubpages.com/hub/Himalayan-Dog-Chews

Again, they are more expensive than rawhide, but they are safer and for my dog they last a lot longer.  I get my dog large sized Himalayan Chews and each one lasts him at least 3 months, sometimes longer, and he chews on them daily.  Himalayan chews are a staple in our house!

Bully sticks are good too, healthier and safer than rawhide, but I don't buy them that often because my dog can finish a whole large sized bully stick in about 10 - 15 minutes.

6. KimberlyKey profile image56
    KimberlyKeyposted 11 years ago

Ari,

First off, the pic of your puppy is very cute! But to answer your question: I don't really think there is one simple solution out there. I think it all just depends on what works best for your companion.

I see that you have already recieved some very helpful suggestions already. I hope you will try them each. But, being the owner of two chewers I can tell you come advice.

Each of my dogs like to chew, but they like to chew different things.

Yes, the rawhides are great but as far as toys go.....I'd suggest a good tough rope, a ball that is made of very good and hard rubber or a frisbee. The later may not last a long time but they are only $1 at the store.

Also, I don't know if your dog would enjoy it, but mine also have their cuddle toys at night. I just go to the thrift store in town and usually spend 25 cent on a stuffed toy and they just love it. At bed time, i give them a chew treat and their cuddle toy and they settle right down and go to bed.

Hope I helped in some way!

7. Bretsuki profile image68
    Bretsukiposted 11 years ago

My German Shepherds have all loved a Kong.

These are hard rubber with a hollow inside, you can stuff the Kong with a treat mixture and peanut butter.

They can chew on the kong, throw it about or just spend many happy hours licking and getting at the treats inside.

1. KimberlyKey profile image56
      KimberlyKeyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Where is a good national outlet to find these?

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Our German Shepherd loved to chew on a kong with peanut butter as well.  We found the other types of chews didn't last very long.

8. SopranoRocks profile image60
    SopranoRocksposted 11 years ago

Great question - following this as I love advice.  My jackrussel/chihuahua mix LOVES chew toys, tug toys, and squeaker toys but goes through them so fast that it is getting expensive.  The KONG lasts but my dog got bored of it quickly.  Any rawhide lasts but not sure if they are ok for him, as he 'eats' them so fast.  Going to check out all the tips here, so thanks for the Q&A. 
    Along the same lines, any ideas on tough squeaker toys?  The one that has lasted the longest for my Sam is from KyJen; http://shop.kyjen.com/invincibles-snake … queak.html  It has 6 huge squeakers so when one is popped (which is tough to do), you have backup sections of the snake. 
    Avoid the toys with rattlers!!! My dog choked on one the size of a quarter - very scary!

9. aliciaharrell profile image64
    aliciaharrellposted 11 years ago

The Hartz Chew 'n Clean Bone, Bacon Flavor, medium size is my dachshund's favorite chew toy. It is light-weight enough to play fetch with and is great at keeping his teeth (especially the back teeth) cleaner. I highly recommend this for it takes my dog 6 months to a year to go through the bone before I have to buy another one. It is available in three dog sizes small, medium and large. My dog is an avid chewer; chews on his Hartz bone daily.

10. profile image56
    Samgoodmanposted 2 years ago

Himalayan Yak Chews are also a great long-lasting chew. We find that the large ones last a good 30+ minutes. We get them from TickledPet.com  https://tickledpet.com/collections/yak-chews

11. Preston Smith profile image61
    Preston Smithposted 5 months ago

Our dogs love cow ears and trachea tubes... both great less expensive options.

https://bullystickscentral.com/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)