From Mandates To Forcing COVID-positive Health Care Employee To Work

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image79
    Sharlee01posted 2 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/15850022_f1024.jpg
    California went from mandating vaccines to forcing COVID-positive health care employees to work. The guidance is facing pushback, but one health expert says the move isn't unprecedented.

With the highly contagious omicron variant sending more people to California hospitals, the California Department of Public Health issued new guidelines Saturday, in an effort to make sure there is enough staff to handle the increase.

According to new state guidelines, health care workers who test positive for COVID-19 will no longer have to isolate or test negative and can return to work immediately If they are asymptomatic.

Medical Staffing issues have plagued hospitals across the country as the omicron variant of the virus spikes, including in California where vaccine mandates were put into effect last year requiring health workers to get vaccinated or face termination. Health giant Kaiser Permanente suspended more than 2,000 unvaccinated employees in October and said those who still have not been vaccinated.

"The department is providing temporary flexibility to help hospitals and emergency services providers respond to an unprecedented surge and staffing shortages. Hospitals have to exhaust all other options before resorting to this temporary tool. Facilities and providers using this tool should have asymptomatic COVID-19 positive workers interact only with COVID-19 positive patients to the extent possible," the health department said in a statement.

The announcement sparked outrage from the SEIU, as well as other health officials and workers in the state.

"Healthcare workers and patients need the protection of clear rules guided by strong science. Allowing employers to bring back workers who may still be infectious is one of the worst ideas I have heard during this pandemic, and that’s really saying something," Bob Schoonover, President of SEIU California and Executive Director of SEIU California, said

The president of the California Nurses Association, Sandy Reding, said the health department's move will put patients at risk. "We are very concerned," she said, according to NBC Bay Area. "If you have health care workers who are COVID positive care for vulnerable populations, we can spread the COVID virus inside the hospital as well."

"If we are going to set up for the surge, let’s set up protocols to have transmission reduced. This means not having COVID positive people come to work," Reding added.  Source   https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-h … e-working.

And to make all worse, there is this ---   https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho … ign-nurses    ---   "Short-staffed and COVID-battered, U.S. hospitals are hiring more foreign nurses
    January 6, 2022"

""Temporary Isolation, Quarantine and Return to Work Criteria for HCP
    Due to the critical staffing shortages currently being experienced across the health care continuum because of the rise in the Omicron variant, effective January 8, 2022 through February 1, 2022, CDPH is temporarily adjusting the return-to-work criteria. During this time, this guidance will supersede the tables below.

During this time, HCPs who have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 and are asymptomatic may return to work immediately without isolation and without testing, and HCPs who have been exposed and are asymptomatic may return to work immediately without quarantine and without testing. These HCPs must wear an N95 respirator for source control. Facilities implementing this change must have made every attempt to bring in additional registry or contract staff and must have considered modifications to non-essential procedures.

These HCPs should preferably be assigned to work with COVID-19 positive patients. However, this may not always be possible in settings such as the emergency department in which you may not know which patients are COVID-19 positive or in areas where you may be experiencing extreme staffing shortages."
    Spurce   https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHCQ/L … 21-08.aspx

Is it just me? Or Is this all just one big ass mess?

Does it very well appear this decision to ask medical staff work that are positive for COVID asymptomatic, yet still able to spread COVID?

It seems that the decisions California has been making are demands. First, they demand healthcare workers be vaccinated. Then, at this point, they hope they now will work even if positive for COVID. Maybe American's object to being forced to take vaccines, and will most likely not appreciate guidelines to work when testing positive for COVID. Being an RN I can share this sentiment---  Healthcare workers save lives, not endanger lives. We are funny that way --- LOL

It would appear some states have made the mistake of trying to use force instead of respecting citizens' rights.

Any thoughts?

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Funny, In Nova Scotia our hospital nurses demanded to be not vaccinated. They got their wish because Hospitals are crying for them.
      Same in alot of pro sports, they are allowing unvaccinated players to play. Why? the vaccinated players all got covid.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have one . . . From a brief look-around, and unless I missed a source you found, the title and lead-in are misleading, (and the choice of "forced" leads me to think it was purposeful). Where did "allowing" turn into "forcing"? I didn't find any listed health dept.`guidance' that implied or inferred, (at least to my reading), forcing anyone to work.

On the flip-side, I did find one blurb from a doctor that makes good sense to me.

In the context of the health dept. guidance; the terms are "allow" and they, (positive healthcare workers), would be used only in infected patient areas; The Doc said it was like what has been done with past pandemics, (he mentioned ebola in Africa), let the infected care for the infected.

GA

Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

"Temporary Isolation, Quarantine and Return to Work Criteria for HCP
        Due to the critical staffing shortages currently being experienced across the health care continuum because of the rise in the Omicron variant, effective January 8, 2022 through February 1, 2022, CDPH is temporarily adjusting the return-to-work criteria. During this time, this guidance will supersede the tables below.

During this time, HCPs who have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 and are asymptomatic may return to work immediately without isolation and without testing, and HCPs who have been exposed and are asymptomatic may return to work immediately without quarantine and without testing. These HCPs must wear an N95 respirator for source control. Facilities implementing this change must have made every attempt to bring in additional registry or contract staff and must have considered modifications to non-essential procedures.

These HCPs should PREFERABLY  be assigned to work with COVID-19 positive patients. However, this MAY NOT always be possible in settings such as the emergency department in which you may not know which patients are COVID-19 positive or in areas where you may be experiencing extreme staffing shortages."
        https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHCQ/L … 21-08.aspx

I will admit my heading went overboard, but my OP offers non- hyperbolic info.

I will add the quote in regard to the New California guidelines with the source.

By the way, if you had the need to be hospitalized would you be up for being cared for by staff that may be assigned to you that are non-symptomatic but tested positive for COVID? I mean you have no way of knowing if a worker was "preferably be assigned to COVID" or perhaps another area where they were short-staffed. One thing this new guideline will bring is lots of lawsuits. Oh well...

I can pretty well guarantee the doc you quoted would care...

But good catch on my heading, I wish I could change it, hopefully, users will read the OP, and just remind me I was hyperbolic in my heading.

1. GA Anderson profile image88

Your quote was one of the ones I found. While you chose to emphasize "PREFERRED" I would have emphasized "may."

As for your question . . .If I were coming into an emergency room I would prefer any help rather than no help.

And relative to what you think the Doc would think . . .Who knows, but he did use the ebola example with a `we' in a context I took as him being involved. So *shrug.

GA

"Your quote was one of the ones I found. While you chose to emphasize "PREFERRED" I would have emphasized "may."

Ok, fair point ---  But as long as we are talking preferred. I would have preferred you responded to the OP instead of just a poorly worded
            heading. But, I am pleased you responded period.

"As for your question . . .If I were coming into an emergency room I would prefer any help rather than no help."

Also fair -- But I did not mention an emergency room in my direct question, I asked if you need to be hospitalized?  Exposed to floor staff perhaps for a long period of time... But respect your braveness.

1. GA Anderson profile image88

I thought I was addressing the OP and its title: ". . . found, the title and lead-in ", Maybe I should have completed "lead-in" with `lead-in sentence' to be more clear.

I also feel I addressed the OP, and not just its title, in my following responses. I did skip the "foreign nurses" part because it seemed to be a separate issue.

Of course the location of care given makes a difference but does the emergency room choice, or further—isolation units,  change the thought?

It doesn't for me. Your question included "need" for hospitalization, not a choice to hospitalized. If whatever I need can be handled by a clinic then I don't need hospitalization. If not, then whatever I need is serious enough for me to hold my original thought: any care is better than no care. Just tell me where to sign.

Once past the misstep of trying to turn "may" into `must' I don't see anything more than partisan extrapolations—mights and maybes, in both the article blurbs and your comments relative to them.

Beyond the illusion of being a brass ring issue for Republicans, I don't see anything wrong with the new guidance. It makes sense to me.

And just for a chuckle, consider the `optics'—Republicans siding with unions . . . Priceless!

GA

I can only say one thing -- You are the type of patient most nurses pray for. One that does not ask questions, and just appreciate having a room with a bed, not looking for a private room.   I mean I can honestly say this statement made me smile. " any care is better than no care".

I just hope to hell you just stay healthy, and don't live in California.

And these guidelines out of California are defiantly a shiny brass ring. And most likely will be "the gift that keeps on giving".

California tops the list with an estimated 44,500 deficit in registered nurses, nearly three times the deficit in the next shortest state. Texas, New Jersey and South Carolina will lack more than 10,000 RNs; Alaska, Georgia and South Dakota will each be short several thousand.

This report was back in September. With California skyrocketing covid Cases,  today , can't  Imagine how bad it is now   California once, I thought was the best place in the world. Now, wouldn't go back.

Yes, we are having a nationwide shortage of nurses. Here in Michigan, several counties received Federal Government healthcare workers due to shortages. It is a huge problem that jas been neatly tucked under the carpet.

It is clear California is disregarding the safety of Pts to keep their hospitals staffed.

2. Valeant profile image86
        Valeantposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Wait, a Fox News headline that is misleading?  And that misleading headline then becomes fodder for this site.  If we wanted to be deceived by Fox News, we would just watch Fox News.

Try to avoid mainstream News and politics as much as possible. I take my information from a several places that of most reliable sourced. Then form my opinion on good sense.

3. Sharlee01 profile image79

CDC recommendations for healthcare workers --- positive but non-symptomatic.

HCP who were asymptomatic throughout their infection and are not moderately to severely immunocompromised:

At least 7 days if a negative antigen or NAAT is obtained within 48 hours prior to returning to work (or 10 days if testing is not performed or a positive test at day 5-7) have passed since the date of their first positive viral test. Source   https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc … t-hcp.html

2. Fayetteville Faye profile image59
    Fayetteville Fayeposted 2 years ago

This is the California department of health buckling under pressure from large corporations motivated by profit, such as Kaiser Permanente.  Kaiser is well known for putting profit above the public good.
    The state health department shouldn't be subservient to corporate interest.
    Our country has a long history of corporations skirting safety measures. That's eventually what led to the rise of unions. I see that the healthcare unions are heavily involved in California.
    "Our union will fight for safe working conditions for hospital workers who have continuously put their lives on the line during this pandemic," says Dave Regan, president of SEIU-UHW. "We intend to expose any hospital employer who knowingly puts patients at risk by forcing COVID positive caregivers back to work."
    Hopefully they'll be successful. It's a shameful situation.

My Girl Faye --- you just said a mouthful. and I agree 100%

I worked over 20 years as a nurse, I can tell you we went to wherever the administration needed us to go to care for Pts. And I enjoyed feeling well needed.  I was asked in the early months to return to work by the state of Michigan to help out with the shortages in the first months of COVID, and I was glad to help one day a week. It was dangerous, and hard due to the confusion that came with so many severely sick Pts. But I can honestly say if any staff tested positive they were sent home and quarantined like all citizens. No one was asked to work that could spread COVID sick or not.

It is very disturbing to me to see this kind of guideline. It goes against the very reason we go into the medical field.

I watched lots of problematic things going on at the beginning of treating COVID, and I also watched many problems be solved. This new guideline will only work to spread COVID, not stop the spread.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)