The Use of Foul Language and Such...

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

I assume that most of us live in the U.S.A., which entitles us to free speech; however... I've recently been coming across language from fellow hubbers that I find quite offensive for many people to read. Not only does this destroy the community (which most of us are trying to build) but it isn't good general internet-practice.

Many of your fellow hubbers, not including myself, have children and some allow their children to read HubPages. In general, HubPages is a wonderful tool that allows many to enhance their knowledge (including children.) As stated earlier, I don't have children, but if I did I am certain that they would be able to figure out a misspelled word in context.

Some of the culprits are long-time hubbers and some are newbies (probably other long-time users that have signed up with another account.) I am fairly new, but I think that it is time something is done about this language problem (as well as the "sexy pictures" problem.)

The forums are geared for interaction with fellow hubpage writers and visitors and I quote: "Making Personal Attacks: debate and disagreements on points of substance are all right, but personal attacks, petty bickering, and thread hijacking will be dealt with swiftly." Hmmm... and I quote again, "interact with each other in the spirit of cooperation and fun" - are we doing this stuff in the correct manner and are we violating what this community holds dear?

I realize that some if not all people need an outlet to release their anger. This forum is not the place for that. Write a blog about it on blogger or something... not HubPages.

Should we not be building each other up instead of tearing ourselves and HubPages down?

...or at least that's my opinion...

Any thoughts?

ProCW neutral

1. SweetiePie profile image82
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Very good points ProCW.

2. Shirley Anderson profile image71
      Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I really like what you said about us building each other up, I agree with that 150%.  I get very uncomfortable in a forum that is hostile, and leave it quickly.

Personally, I've not come across any foul language here.  Either that or I've missed it.  It is not necessary in a discussion, in my opinion, but what is the definition of foul language?  Some folks are particularily sensitive in this regard.

1. ProCW profile image79
        ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Shirley, smile

I've seen it in a few threads down below. I'm not particularly sensitive with the foul-language subject matter. But it should be done in an appropriate setting (a bar, club, etc.) It should at least be scratched out or something. Pretty much, if people can't say it on regular television, they shouldn't see it here.

I stated in a previous post that I was seeing "Sexy Singles" on my google ads and received a response back that it hasn't been optimized yet (or something like that) and would be soon (or something like that too.) I accepted that answer, but it scared me!!! The play that I'm posting is geared to be performed for children and would potentially be seen by educators and their students. What if they (even if they don't see "sexy singles") clicked over to the forum and saw this stuff. They'd immediately be turned away from HubPages.

I have to go for a little while. I'll be back in a couple of hours.

ProCW ... still neutral

P.S. smile Hi SweetiePie (Thanks for the reply.)

2. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

The  language here is some of the cleanest Ive seen on forums i habituate in on the internet!  I don' expect children to be reading here: and if they were in most cases they use far worse language than their parents anyway - just as  I did as a kid! 

This sites is really really supportive of people: if you find HP negative in that regard you need to get out more - in a virtual sense - even Squidoo is a lot more aggro and stay  away from warrior forums :-)

The sexy singles thing varies : for a long time it was a tattoo ads u got first! Its not deliberate it just depends on what has been published most recently on hp - its a guess basically - I thought sexy dates on my hub about modest head coverings were quite funny really - didn' t help my click thru rate though!

3. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

HP has one of the cleanest forums on the web. But as you might have noticed, some people can't control their language when they flare up. If you have missed, their is a tab named 'report' on every post. So if you find any foul language in the forums, use it. If Maddie finds it appropriate, they will remove that offensive post. smile

Best Regards

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)