Writing with numb fingers; a couple questions from a newbie.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

So here I am, dreaming of another sultry Sunday afternoon, sipping on a slightly subdued mango margarita, and silently wishing I was wasting life away off the coast of somewhere beautiful.  Of course, my mental illusions are far different from physical realities. I haven't ventured outside in more than 24 hours because of an extreme fear of the cold.  Ok, maybe it's not so much fear; it may be better classified as an "intense dislike" of numb fingers and frosty air.  Santa can keep his North Pole, I'll settle for warmer climates.

I'm sure that most would agree.

Still, that brings me no closer to the point of my inquiry. 

After wrestling a bad case of cabin fever, and subduing the demons in my mind, I (finally) decided to join Hubpages and see what all the hubbub is all about. Yes, I know, bad pun, but sometimes, one simply can't resist.

So without further preamble and much ado, my questions:

* When creating a new hub, is there a way to keep it hidden until it has been fully edited?  I prefer to begin a topic, and then be able to preview what it looks like before completion.  It's one thing to have a completed article well laid out in Word, but it's another to see how it actually will look once completed on the site.

* How, if there is such a way, do I access specific formatting tools - such as bullets, font sizes, etc. - beyond the small list presented below the message box?

* With regards to income generating possibilities, is there somewhere on here where I can get an idea as to the "average" that can be made over time?

...and finally,

* I have wrote print articles before, but never ventured into the realm of online publishing.  Any general advice, tips, quibbles, quips, bits, bytes, or comments on this would be helpful.

In advance, I appreciate your time.. and I wish you all a very warm and delectable day.

Gotta run, got boats to build... Thanks!

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

save your hub as "Unpublished", then you can still save your edits and no one can see them but you.

you can also click Preview to see how it looks as you go.
      welcome to the HubBub, bub wink

p.s. sorry about your numb fingers. be careful out there

Urbane Chaosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My friend, that's exactly what I was looking for.  I didn't want to start a new 'hub' and then be forced to publish the moment I had to walk away.  Thanks! I greatly appreciate it!

My apologies, old habits die hard, it seems.  I was involved with a local critique group for years that always encouraged that.  Advice taken. big_smile

Again, I appreciate the help.  I've always been picky about what I put online, so this is fairly new for me.  As always, you guys are awesome!  Thanks again!

2. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I you want to get rid of your 'Urban Chaos', why don't you read the HELP section ?????

I spent a few hours looking through the help section, and yet, there is still chaos.  I found a lot of great advice, but since I was still left with a couple further questions that I didn't see in the help section, I assumed that the "Need Help? Ask here." title meant that I would be allowed to ask.. Or, maybe I was mistaken?   big_smile

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're allowed to ask whatever you like.
        lol

And I'm allowed to answer as I please
        lol
        welcome to HP! smile

...and that's the thing I love about forums. lol

Thanks for the welcome, I'll get this all figured out soon enough! big_smile

I'm sure you would!
            big_smile

3. moanalisa profile image60
    moanalisaposted 14 years ago

First off, my advice to you is not to write a lengthy prose for the introduction to your question. If you have a question, write it, be blunt and specific.

Don't hit the "publish" button until you are ready for others to see it. Just play around with the options and you'll soon learn what you can and cannot do within the scope of HubPages. I hope this helps a bit.

Best of luck!

Moanalisa

4. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Hehe... and thus you have been introduced to Tantrum. Gotta love it.

Just by typing in formatting hubs into the search window for the site this is the first page that comes up.

http://hubpages.com/search/formatting+hubs

You might want to do some searching around before asking the questions though I know the site can be a bit daunting when you are trying to figure it all out.

There is a preview button for viewing the hub before publication as well as the option to save unpublished.

As to the money potential it is all in what you are willing to put into the site as to how much you get out of it. If you take the time to learn keyword optimization, SEO, etc then you should do well to make a decent income but don't expect it to happen with just one or two hubs once you have published something.

You are certainly welcome to ask any questions, just don't take the responses personally. There are a lot of seasoned hubbers out there and they get tired of the newbies not doing their homework and expecting answers to all the questions when if you just search you can find dang near anything on the  site.

Welcome aboard!

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

tantrum isn't HubPages. she is one of over 100,000 hubbers. ask anytime. we were all new once! good luck. you must tell us all more about those boats you are building

2. Urbane Chaos profile image91

Tantrum?  Yeah, I like her already.. gotta love someone with a little spunk. big_smile

As far as the formatting question, it's official, I'm either an idiot or just simply blind - although I'm leaning towards the former, in this case.  This site is set up a little different from others that I've been on, so I didn't even think to do a search for it.  At least now I have something to keep me busy for the next couple hours!

And yes, I understand how it can get irritating to answer the same questions over and over - so, I promise, I won't ask any more silly questions.  And I never take things online personal, besides, it all in good fun! smile

Thanks for the link, and the help!

thank you !
        I like you too! big_smile

5. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Oh !!! I thought I was ! hmm

lol lol lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)