Stunning NASA picture of snow covered Britain

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Drwibble profile image60
    Drwibbleposted 14 years ago

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gall … 0.500m.jpg

To me it looks like a screen shot from  "the day after tomorrow" movie

1. Paradise7 profile image70
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Astonishing!  Thanks for posting that, Drwibble.

2. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wantz to make a snow angel in itz. smile haha!

1. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image59
        I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I made made one for you! lol  It's rad... or should I say it was the night the snow came... my son and I made the biggest snowman EVER! PERFECT.. almost had a hernia getting the body piece up! hahahaahahahaa!!  Next morning 3 days ago til now all ICE!! big_smile

3. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is it true it was minus twenty celsius in London today. My mother said this, but I rarely believe her (that was a joke...! Really...)

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow thats awesome

5. thekidandblue profile image60
      thekidandblueposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that looks AWESOME!

2. K Partin profile image59
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Wow Unreal....thanks for sharing that! smile

3. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image59
    I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 14 years ago

Yup. I live here and NEVER watch the news  lol  We recieved this storm a couple of days ago, with a few flurries in between and schools are shut.. though all other business in our liitle nook is swell.

It has been way cool to explore the beaches.. and see all wee ice burgs washing up!!  big_smile big_smile

The baby burgs.  I'd like to see that.  Beats looking out the window at the blinkin' SNOW!!!!!

1. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image59
        I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah, tres coolage! big_smile How bout getting out to a park and makin a n ANGEL! wink haha

A snow angel from Paradise.  Yeah!  Lotsa snow to do it with, here, and...that photo...England, too!

4. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

I managed to dig and drive my car out of 5inches earlier, Ireland seems like it missed a lot lol

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

First time in like 6o years I think they said it was like this before over there.

6. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Good god, it's everywhere, the snow has infected our lands!!!

Ace picture!

7. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Now, that was a cool photo! Thanks!

8. profile image0
    Miss Takeposted 14 years ago

sounds like lots a fun going on in this thread, did you give the snowman a scarf i*n*v*i*c*t*u*s

9. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image59

ah, yeah, we dressed as we could... LOLOL  big_smile

1. profile image0
      Miss Takeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

did you give the snowman a carrot for his nose, you should photograph the snowman and put a picture up on here.

10. Happyontheinside profile image73
    Happyontheinsideposted 14 years ago

Great picture doc, it's pretty scary...Totally with you on the 'day after tomorrow' fears! It's crazy, I live on the western coast of Scotland and the snow here is only tweo inches deep - but we are right next to the sea and never, ever, ever get snow here that lies...they say there's too much salt in the air.

I went to my home town recently in central scotland. Normally it's a two hour journey but just before christmas there it took eight and a half hours. Three hours stuck on a train and three stuck on a back road in the middle of nowhere but only two miles from home. There were fourteen accidents just ahead of us and (can you believe this) the council has cancelled the gritter trucks in our area because of budget cuts and they hadn't salted any roads. They were coming out only in emergencies.

Ironic don't you think that we have a cold climate and yet anything more than two inches of snow makes the entire country grind to a halt.

Still; everybody loves the snow!

1. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just know that some Canadian is gonna stroll in and say five inches of snow is a light dusting. haha! smile

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

And here I am

I'm not even Canadian and let me tell you, five inches is a light dusting!!!!

I remember travelling to the south one time in the winter in my car, and they got just an itty bitty bit of snow, and you would've thought the Martians had landed.  It was a state of emergency and cars backed up on the highway for miles and miles.  We from the frozen North couldn't really see what the problem was.  To us it was nothing...to them, it was a freakin' horrorshow.  Weird.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

I think the city I live in actually broke the WORLD record for most snow accumulations in one winter a few years ago. Presumably the problem in (southern) England is that municipalities don't invest in snow-clearing equipment, so when they get any, it's nearly impossible to drive (that and a lack of appropriate tires/tyres, depending how you wanted to spell that... smile )

(just realized you're from the northern US, not the north of Britain.... either way, my comment is the same...)

11. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image59

yeah.. the looks, er looked great! damn batteries, had to recharge from the holiday festives .. too bad snowmen don't last too long, eh? smile

12. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image59

LOLOL  lol I think I brought the snow to the UK with me , from the heart of the Rockies.. We could have 'Feet' O snow and still get around ( typically with the powder flu) since we wanted to ski versus be at work LOLOL... that is why I am so laughing here in wee Wales.. though, hey kids love it.. nearly a month off of school for christmas holiday.. big_smile   I do so love my new world... sigh

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)