"Married Couples Pay More Than Unmarried Under Health Bill": Yahoo!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image60
    fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years ago

http://finance.yahoo.com/insurance/arti … ealth-bill

"The built-in "marriage penalty" in both House and Senate healthcare bills has received scant attention. But for scores of low-income and middle-income couples, it could mean a hike of $2,000 or more in annual insurance premiums the moment they say "I do."

WTF? This is the latest wrinkle

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm maybe they should get divorced and live together.

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image60
        fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years agoin reply to this

OR PEOPLE SHOULD STAY SINGLE

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

crap. thanks for that....it just keeps getting better....

3. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

There is still a lot to learn about the ins and out of this bill but a quick look tells me that a savvy married couple could start a small home Ebay business then let the small business buy the insurance off the Exchange and receive a tax credit up to 50%.  This tax credit will apply to any small business with fewer than 10 employees earning less than $50,000 a year from the small business. 

I know I'll be looking for the loopholes when and if the final draft comes out.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good thinking.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Patty. 

Here is something else we should consider about the proposed bill; it's been stated there is a bad loophole in the bill that allows insurers to charge employers more for not having a wellness program. Well, in my mind having a wellness program is a must. It costs the employer between $70 and $130 a year per employee but on average saves the employee nearly $400 a year in related medical costs as well as the additional premium costs.  So by spending an extra $1.50 to $2.75 a week on an employer they can avoid the higher premium charges.

4. Unkotare profile image59
    Unkotareposted 14 years ago

Not surprising, as this fits the real agenda...

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really, I thought the real agenda was to abolish Hot Dogs, Pizza and Soda Pop in America.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And apple pie.

But indeed it IS all part of the liberal agenda.
        In particular Obama's.

I take it you didn't see him on tv months ago telling a young man that conservative parents/grandparents' ideas were "old worn-out" notions basically and all that crap?
        His goal is to "fundamentally change America"....those are HIS words.

5. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

fishskin remember when I was bitching about this ? I am glad to see you waking up !

6. sooner than later profile image60
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

it does not surprise me. look at all the welfare fams avoiding marriage because the free bennies would cut once they do. more babies daddy's more kids, more degenerate civilization relying on the gov. right where the wing wants them.

7. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

dissolution of the " establishment of marraige" has always been the agenda of liberals who make these bills.

1. sooner than later profile image60
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep. don't get married, sit on your fat butt, mate with different daddy's, eat off my labor, pop some zits, watch the tube, whine about what you don't have, plug your toilets and enjoy the ride.

I would love to fork your bills.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)