Psychics! Can talk to the or just playing people for money?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

An elderly woman I know is convinced this supposed psychic lady can communicate with her departed husband. I am afraid she is going to get fleeced.

1. profile image55
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, the gullible need fixes of self-affirmation, and they are willing to pay for it.

2. profile image0
      Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe she could benefit from grief counseling.

1. Hokey profile image61
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope so. I am going to talk to her later about it and bring back up.

3. double_frick profile image59
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, imo genuine psychics won't take you to the cleaners. they charge a fair rate for their time and energy...not these exorbitant exorcism of imaginary demons.

but i do believe some are genuine and if the woman you are speaking of seems to discern these things well then try to be open minded. if she seems like the gullible type, well, what are you going to do? tell her not to see the psychic? hmm
      people learn...

2. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Of course she will !

1. Hokey profile image61

Thats what I have been trying to tell her. She is so adamant.

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tell her  that, if that's true, her husband didn't do it to the other side, and is still around as a very base energy.
        Souls that arrived to the other side can't  get in touch.
        Ask her: do you think your husband was so materialistic and base that he's still here ?
        that will do it, I think!
        lol

1. Hokey profile image61

Good Idea! I'm impressed!

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Most likely be taken for a ride. It's sad to say, but true.

4. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Well, if she wishes it very, very hard...

1. Hokey profile image61

So you believe this is possible?

1. profile image0
        zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe people can wish some things very hard.
        So very hard sometimes, that their mental state is completely altered to the point they "view" and "hear" sights and voices or whatever.
        And sometimes these states are trasmissible to sourrounding people.
        I believe that life is misterious.

1. Hokey profile image61

Sounds more like schizophrenia

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Before agreeing to a full session, your elderly friend should ask the psychic to answer a specific question concerning her and her late husband. Something for which the answer cannot be guessed. If the answer is vague or incorrect, that will prove the psychic is a fake.

6. profile image0

kind of.
    One interesting thing, is that everywhere in the world, be it in mongolia, norway or south america, people seem to be interested in cross world communication.
    That must mean someting.
    Materialists can we be, but nothing keeps us from wondering.
    I love Science fiction.

1. Hokey profile image61

I am intrigued by the idea but in Buddhism when the body dies the energy is transferred to a new body(rebirth) so there is no waiting period. To contact someone expresses the idea that after we die we are just kind of hanging around. Also all the negative experiences you hear about from frauds such as Sylvia Browne.

1. cheaptrick profile image73
        cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Tibetan Buddhist Bar do Tho dol describes the journey between death and rebirth.

2. Pandoras Box profile image60
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that. More or less. Death is the key to life. That said I should clarify that I don't believe in the popular conception of reincarnation, or life after death.

Holy toledo, I think I actually made a coherent thought. Naw, probably not.

1. Hokey profile image61

YUP!  Totally Coherent!  big_smile

7. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Being "fleeced" depends on what the woman thinks she is buying.  If she's paying for comfort and a way to get through a trying time, for a spiritual vehicle through which she can come to terms with things, then she's not getting fleeced. 

How she goes through the séance, how she "interacts" with the channeled “spirit,” works just like a Rorschach test or a role-playing exercise in a psychologist’s office.  They serve the same function, only one is endorsed by modern science and one is not.  The "spirit" of someone does not have to be an actual ghost.

If she is doing it to literally speak to her deceased husband, with a clear thinking, rational mind that is not beleaguered by grief and loneliness, then she is being fleeced.

8. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

Psychics! Can talk to the [departed] or just playing people for money?

garden variety psychics can't talk to the dead and yes she is just in it for the money.

there are some individuals, however, who do have some unique, powerful and mysterious abilities, and whom police agencies call upon to help solve murders, but they don't do it for the money. i am not sure what their 'powers' are - maybe they are just really intuitive or something, and super good at profiling criminals.

9. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Though I think the mind is capable of metaphysical feats and have done some research on it...it is rare.

Having a cousin who is a psychic, I find here 'predictions' are more common sense and 'good' judgment.

My one sister and dad are totally sold over her predictions...my other sister and I...not so much.

10. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

haha...i love the Sylvia Brownes and the John Edwards of the world....they play 20 Questions and watch your expressions...the little sneaks! big_smile

1. torimari profile image68
      torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I LOVE Sylvia Browne for the humor of it all. I couldn't believe how many people took her seriously.

She has a whole damn bookcase of books at Borders of all her crap.

Basically, she built her 100 million dollar empire from faux readings, and pretending to talk to the dead, therefore, giving false hope.

Really, to do that, you need to be the devil...as well as pretty sharp.

1. Hokey profile image61

Or just a very self centered person. No cares except for you. The hurt she must have caused.

1. bonny2010 profile image60
          bonny2010posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ireckon if the departed want to communicate with you, they'll find a way, and if you are receptive enough you will connect.

2. torimari profile image68
          torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She's all of the above in my book. :]

2. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha big_smile

"go to God, Velma. go to God". hee hee, that's a good one. unlike John Edwards, who tries to at least do some detective work along the way, she just tosses anything out there to see what sticks. and with Montel Williams running interference for her, she can't go wrong!

11. CrystalStarWoman profile image60
    CrystalStarWomanposted 14 years ago

I believe there are some true psychics and many fakes...

Strictly speaking a 'medium' can contact those that have crossed over - a psychic is more likely to see events, make predictions, or 'know' certain things that they shouldn't know about you! lol

1. profile image55

Or, most probably, they are ALL fakes.

1. CrystalStarWoman profile image60
        CrystalStarWomanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm sorry but you are wrong. 

One of my best friends has an amazing gift - I have no doubt whatsoever that there ARE some true psychics.

Unfortunately there are charlatans out there too... giving the true psychics a bad name lol

1. profile image55

Considering the brain hasn't the capacity nor the mechanisms to do what a psychic claims it can do, it can't. It's really as simple as that.

They are all fakes regardless of your belief.

1. CrystalStarWoman profile image60
            CrystalStarWomanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are more things in heaven and earth, Q,
            Than are dreamt of in your philosophy...

12. getitrite profile image73
    getitriteposted 14 years ago

??????????????? yikes: yikes: yikes:!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 14 years ago

Physics come in all levels, the Gypsy con-artist, and the one's who actually speak to a familiar spirit.  Either way she is in trouble if she is going to them.

14. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

Yeah, grief counselling probably good idea.

15. profile image0

might depend on what sect the counselor belongs to...

16. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Some psychics do do that to make money but it is rare. the real psychics don't go flautning their gifts around for money like the fakes do.

17. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I believe that some may have the ability we only use 1/10th of our brain. But the ones who have it certainly would not prey on an elderly woman nor anyone else for that matter. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)