Go ahead and add your own Pet Project to the Health Care Bill

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. MikeNV profile image69
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

"Pelosi said it appeared a second administration priority, far-reaching changes in the student loan industry, would be added to the legislation."

That's right... it's not just a health care bill it's a student loan bill!

It's a sidewalks in Florida Bill.  It's a let the rest of the country pay for Louisiana and Nebraska bill!

It's a screw the Doctor out of getting paid for services bill.

It's a take money from the elderly to pay for the masses bill.

It's 2,700 pages and growing and nobody really knows all the Pork Projects that will be added bill.

AND YOU GET TO PAY FOR IT OR GO TO JAIL AND GET FINED BILL.

Way to go team Obama!

This guy is just asking to be impeached.

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

As long as I get my billion or so..................
      They want to do something even if it's wrong and it is!

2. MikeNV profile image69

WASHINGTON – Under White House pressure to act swiftly, House and Senate Democratic leaders reached for agreement Friday on President Barack Obama's health care bill, sweetened suddenly by fresh billions for student aid and a sense that breakthroughs are at hand.

Got to just keep throwing something totally unrelated to Health Care into the Mega bill so that they can twist the arms of those currently unwilling to sell out.

Looks like selling out is just a matter of stuffing in more and more pork.

3. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Where do I send my list of "Wants" so I can like this Bill of crap?

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have used the word 'propaganda' and this post illustrates that very well.

The US House is about to pass the Senate version  - and they have to pass it exactly as written. So unless you can't tell me the where in the bill you found the 'pork' you claim is in the bill - I think we have wandered into fiction. (That's polite for L-i-e-s).

AFTER the House passes the Senate version - word-for-word, the bill goes directly to the president for his signature and becomes law. Abut 5 minutes later a  reconciliation bill will be introduced.  I would point you exactly to the reconcilliation bill, but it's being worked out.  The reconciliation bill can be passed by majority, but any revisions in the reconciliation bill have to be budget-related. The Nebraska deal will be killed, likewise deals with Nelson of Florida and a nasty deal to Louisianna, I expect.

These are the facts. Now if people would quit making stuff up and cite sources of reliable info then a rational discourse is possible.  If you just want to make up stuff or repeat unsourced crap,. I will discretit your post with facts and citations - and we will let the readers decide.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
          Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will politely suggest you use the reply button for the right person to address. No where do you see me making any statements you write about.
          Thank you!

My bad.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
              Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Doug! You were making me look bad. lol

4. MikeNV profile image69

NY Times:

Many House Democrats reacted enthusiastically on Friday to the word that a proposed overhaul of student loan programs would be included with major health care legislation in an expedited budget package to be offered in Congress.

As a result, some supporters of the health care bill said they were confident the financial aid measure would help generate votes for the overall package.

The bottom line? Theoretically, at least, the Democrats have a chance of using the education measure to convince 35 lawmakers to switch their votes from no on health care to yes on a combined package including the financial aid changes.

Washington (CNN) – Senate Democrats huddled in the Capitol Thursday afternoon to hash out the issue of whether to include changes to student loan policies in the same reconciliation bill that will include fixes to health care reform.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Friday the final version of a broad healthcare overhaul would include a revamp of the student loan program but not a government-run health insurance option.

Perhaps the New York Times, CNN and Nancy Pelosi are not credible enough factual resources?

From Thehill.com:

"You can only send one budget reconciliation [package]," Miller said.

The lending legislation would make the federal government the originator of student loans, essentially eliminating the private student loan industry. Under the proposed reform, private banks would still service the loans.

The Congressional Budget Office estimates the bill would save taxpayers $67 billion over 10 years."

Budget reconciliation  is a one-time-per-budget procedure.  I'm not invited to the meetings, but I wuld guess that the student loan reform was something that democrats did not want to expose to a GOP fillibuster, so to get it passed it was included. This is not a deal that favors one state over another, or one district or one industry. Education reform was on the list. This item gores the banking industry - excuse me if I don't cry -  to the benefit of students and the deficit. You want to protect the banks? Or you have something against students? What's your beef - other than a desire to cast something that's totally appropriate as something sinister.

But thank you for sourcing, Mike. I give you credit for that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)