President Obama doesn't go to church

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (103 posts)
  1. hawkman007 profile image61
    hawkman007posted 14 years ago

I was thinking all of Presidents in the past attend a Church,I notice this President doesn't go. I know before he was elected he when and I know the trouble that church brought him. So what is your thought.

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where are you getting your info?

Obama has stated that he and Michelle like to attend church in DC but find their presence disrupts services thanks to all the extra security surrounding them, so they reserve church attendance in DC for major occasions and attend services at Camp David when they are visiting there. Obama also has his chaplain send him a devotional every day.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was just going to add this, but you said it well. he spoke about it on the matt lauer interview this past week.
        probably if he did go, then people would criticize him for his choice of church.
        for some, he can do no right and it will always be this way for every president. hmm

2. BJBenson profile image60
        BJBensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Other ones have found a way to worship the lord. I hope he has.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do post lies like that. Do you think you're being cute?  Any way so what if he didn't go to church?

3. profile image0
      chasingcarsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what if he doesn't?  None of our business.

1. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is our business

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Why is it our business? Once in a while why don't you try to go beyond "tis and taint." We already know what your retromingent positions are. But you have yet to explain them with facts and logic.

Because he is the president. It is not an average job. Like a priest, a police officer, or a teacher there are responsibilities beyond what happens in the office like it or not.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
              AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If that's true then in my book it is possibly a good sign that he doesn't go to church... I thought, for a start, he was being CRITICIZED not too long ago for his PARTICIPATION in a certain church. Either way, I consider it a bloody insult to imply that churchgoers are better in some way than non-churchgoers. I have an entire extended family of upstanding, upright, moral members of society who do not go to church.

"he was being CRITICIZED not too long ago for his PARTICIPATION in a certain church"

And rightly so, as it was a church that preached hate and anti-Americanism. That was a large part of what motivated him to emphasize his'credentials' in this area during the campaign.

" I consider it a bloody insult to imply that churchgoers are better in some way than non-churchgoers"

And you have every right to that minority opinion.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
                  AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whether it is a minority opinion or not is neither here nor there. Truth is not decided based on majority rule. The truth is that the implication that my family, who are agnostics, are somehow less moral than someone who goes to church is outrageous. Period.

Either way, if you hadn't noticed I was AGREEING with your basic point. But I won't be wasting any more time on you. I'll just bide my time till you get banned... again.

"Whether it is a minority opinion or not is neither here nor there."

No, it's right there.

2. profile image0

The rest of us consider it a bloody insult that you think you have the right to impose your stupid attitudes on others.  Who in the hell do you think you are?

2. rmcrayne profile image89
                rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I have a sizable extended family of regular church goers who are bigots.

4. Paul Wingert profile image61
      Paul Wingertposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I could care less if the president attends church or not.

5. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sitting in a church for an hour every week makes you a good person in the same way sitting in a garage for an hour every week makes you a good car.

6. marcel285 profile image64
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who cares?

7. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So......mad

What does it matter?

8. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 14 years agoin reply to this

how does it matter ..it is his personal choice..isn't it?...yes how he runs country is of course matter of public scrutiny but how he manages his faith is simply his personal matter...thats what i think about it...

2. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

He doesn't need to go anywhere. He worships himself.

1. donotfear profile image84
      donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol      lol lol lol

2. profile image0

What a "wit" you are.  You must belong to the Faux school of religion.

3. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Who cares?  Religion does not determine the quality of people.  In fact frequently it does quite the opposite.

The great majority of Americans disagree with you.

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You define "great" in a massively different way than I do.  But, that's cool.  Language works like that.  Frankly, that's why communication breaks down so horribly sometimes.

"You define "great" in a massively different way than I do. "

Probably not

Well, what kind of percentage do you require to have a "great" majority? 

And, given the nebulosity of "spiritual" stuff, what constitutes a conviction that "religion determines the quality" of a person as opposed to just the quality of the person? I'd love to know what you base that claim on.

How about 85%?

So you are saying that 85% of Americans believe that religion determines the quality of a person?  Meaning, that only 15% of people in America believe that a person's actions and history matter more than the affiliation that person may have with some religion or another regardless of how devout or loose?

Not only do I find that preposterous and suggestive of a mindset that may be entirely beyond reason, rendering this conversationi pointless, I can't fathom where the data comes from that informs such a bold and broad-brushed judgment laid upon an entire populace of unique individuals.

85% of Americans consider faith somewhat or very important in their lives. Things that are important to people tend to influence their decisions, no?

"a summer 2007 poll by the Forum and the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press found that almost seven-in-ten Americans agreed with the statement, "It's important to me that a president have strong religious beliefs."

badabing

2. rebekahELLE profile image85

source please. I find that hard to believe.

here's the most recent Pew report on statistics on religion in america report.

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

Pew Research Center

the article is very interesting. the survey only encompasses 35,000 americans aged 18 and over. it shows there are great changes in religion in america. here is one of the findings.

"The Landscape Survey confirms that the United States is on the verge of becoming a minority Protestant country; the number of Americans who report that they are members of Protestant denominations now stands at barely 51%."

here's another interesting one for those who preach their way is the only way"

"Most Americans also have a non-dogmatic approach when it comes to interpreting the tenets of their own religion. For instance, more than two-thirds of adults affiliated with a religious tradition agree that there is more than one true way to interpret the teachings of their faith, a pattern that occurs in nearly all traditions."

3. rebekahELLE profile image85

that statistic is off according to your source. it says in the charts:

%say religion is very important in their lives- 56%

based on 35,000 americans polled.

http://pewforum.org/How-Religious-Is-Your-State-.aspx

Read more carefully.

I did. I would still like to see where it says 85% because I don't see it.

2. Cagsil profile image69
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually Sab Oh would be correct. Approximately 93% of Americans are of some affiliation with the Christian(or other sister religions) faith. wink

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
            William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do you figure?

1. Cagsil profile image69

That's based on voters. And, that is what matters, because the President is elected by voters.

Approximately, 50% of the population doesn't presently vote.

Where did you get your numbers tho?  Because I'm looking at several different surveys, some of which say that as many as 12% of Americans are atheist or agnostic.

1. Cagsil profile image69

What difference does it matter where I got my numbers from? I tell you, then you have two choices- think either that is not one you agree with therefore give no credit to or that their is some political agenda behind it therefore giving no credit to it.

So, there is no rational answer to give you, because you can twist is to however you suit. Therefore, where I get my information is from due diligent research.

No individual poll or survey was used. A Collective of information was gathered, to gain a rational and sane conclusion.

You can spout about 12% of American are Atheist or whatever. But, until you collectively look at the whole and not just those surveyed, you will not get an accurate number.

Most surveys are driven by the agenda of those who want to convey a specific message through the media. For what reason? It isn't to pass knowledge or understanding, but to spread fear or ignorance.

Well that was constructive.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85

? based on what and how many people polled?  nobody asked me. I'm american and I'm not included in that number.  wink

numbers can be thrown around easily but it doesn't represent the whole of a nation.

o.k. I'm off. everyone enjoy the weekend! smile

Same to you!

3. Shadesbreath profile image79

That was not what Sab Oh's claim was.  His comment was in response to mine, where I said:  Religion does not determine the quality of people.  In fact frequently it does quite the opposite.

To which he then replied: The great majority of Americans disagree with you.

And then he went on to pull out his 85% number.  The point was not whether there is a large percentage of Americans that are religious, or so affiliated.  His claim, based on my question, was that 85% of Americans feel that religion is what determines the quality of a person.  I went on to seek clarity, asking if there is any credit given to a person just being a quality person, you know, as in actions and deeds rather than where they spend their Sunday mornings, to which he wriggled away talking about how some report said that ALMOST 7 out of 10 (so "almost" 70%, not 85) feel that "religion is somewhat to very important in their lives."

That is hardly support for the claim that 85% of people believe religion is what determines the quality of people. In fact, it is nebulous, has percentages that are not only not specifically what was given (suggesting that these numbers are being pulled out of the old backside region) but that rely on terms like "almost" and "somewhat" to keep the claim from becoming entirely empty.

So, respectfully, I suggest that Sab Oh is NOT correct, and that you might have missed the first part of the conversation, Cags, thus leading to believe he had a point there.  I hope this clears that up.  smile

2. LiamBean profile image80
        LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's that phantom majority again. Where are these people?

2. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

Thank you for your critique, Shades. smile

4. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

So what. Frankly...I think churches are best left alone myself.

No law says he has to go to church of course, but he did play up his faith during the campaign. Another put-on?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63

Would anyone be surprised?

Although, honestly, if I *were* a church-going (or where-ever going) person...I REALLY wouldn't want that to be a matter for public consumption. That's a personal feeling though...and politically no good so perhaps not what's going on here.

Which is obviously your choice. But then you weren't running for President.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63

This is true. But I also don't think it should be such a big deal(ETA: for the President). I think an Atheist could run the country as well as a Christian - as well as Muslim, Jewish person, Hindu, Buddhist...whatever...The point is they'd be human AND a politician...LOL.

" I think an Atheist could run the country as well as a Christian"

Maybe so, but he absolutely couldn't get electeed. That's just the reality I was pointing out.

5. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 14 years ago

Obama is a politician first and a Muslim/Christian second. As a politician he doesn't want to offend either side so he stays away from any religion. He has a history of catering to the Muslim ideology. But while seeking political office here he found it expedient to attend a "Christian" church. If the Martians landed and took over he'd join the Martian Brotherhood of Universal Wisdom. The vast majority of politicians are godless.

When he was running for president obama sent out fliers with big, bold letters declaring him a "committed Christian." I guess that was a lot of jive.

2. donotfear profile image84
      donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OOOOOOHhhhhhhhh.  Very good answer here.

3. profile image0

Oh for crap's sake! Religion is not a part of a democratic, pluralistic society. The founders separated church and state for a good reason: millenia of religous wars and corruption, just like now.
      Beside, you don't bully people into a faith, and faith is an ongoing and very personal thing. People either believe, or they don't.  Whatever your numbers, subtract the bigots, the haters, the liars, the hypocrits, and you will not have many "upright" religious types left.  Do you still call these people "Christians"?  Can't people be undeclared believers?  Most religions are more like political parties than groups trying to be good people.  Check your figures again, and not on Faux.  People are leaving religions in droves because religions do not really represent what they say they believe.  We will know they are (fill in the blank) by their love.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

You don't have to go to church to be a committed Christian. You have no right to criticize how much faith a person shows or does not show when you really know nothing about it.

Isn't it past your bedtime TK?

I have every right in the world. He's my president and I'll call him on any one of his deceptions I like. He works for me after all.

I appreciate your concern for my getting enough sleep. That's very kind of you.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79

And you think every single president who showed up at church on Sunday was a truly committed Christian, or that maybe some of them just went for the PR?

Dunno. But it's pretty easy to see when someone declares himself a church-going fella then doesn't go to church.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Maybe he's too busy smile

First busy president ever, huh?

Next?

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Or the first non-hypocritical president?

And here we go...so everyone who goes to church is a hypocrite? Or just presidents? Because you can read their minds and see they don't really mean it anyway?

In any case, we already know he's a hypocrite for other reasons.

10. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 14 years ago

I see it this way: Obama is redefining the meaning of "individual rights." So if he wants to be a Muslim and not attend a Christian church -- that's his right. If he does attend church, he'll upset his brothers in the Middle East. The way he snubbed Israel recently was classic. Terrorists 1, Infidels 0.

1. profile image0

What in the hell is the matter with your brain, dude?

11. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

Apparently George W. Bush didn't attend church while in office either:

http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/10/19/b … church.htm

http://www.beliefnet.com/News/Politics/ … hurch.aspx

Golly!

12. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

Lincoln was attacked for not being "Christian" enough as well....

A different century, the same old politiking...

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And ministers were telling parishioners to hide their Bibles if Thomas Jefferson got elected because he would be sure to order them all burned!

It's kind of depressing, really, how little we've changed.

13. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Whether a president goes to church or doesn't, I really don't care.  Where I'd knock points off is if a president only goes to church because he thinks that's what will keep an approval rating up.  More point off from me if a president were to talk too much about going to church and what he believes.  That's something I think a president needs to primarily leave out of the business of being a president.

What a president believes is very important for those of us he represents to know.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only the ones that do not count.

2. William R. Wilson profile image60

So how about the fact that Bush didn't go to church, there, Sab?

Is that crickets I hear?

If you want to criticize Bush for that, be my guest.

14. William R. Wilson profile image60

I still don't understand how it's bad for Obama not to attend church while in Washington but it was ok for Bush.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because it's Obama...

That's what I thought but I just wanted to hear someone else say it.

2. LiamBean profile image80
        LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think Uninvited just earned the invisible virtual hubpages "it's so obvious it hurts" prize for nailing the reason in the least words possible.

2. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whoever said it was "okay" for Bush not to attend church?

As for me, I don't care what religion or lack thereof a politician is. However, if you campaign as a "committed Christian," it's reasonable that your constituents expect you to act like one.

Well, I never heard anyone criticize Bush for not attending church....

1. rmcrayne profile image89

Perhaps because of his loud and frequent "I'm a christian" comments, the masses assumed he was church going.

15. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

no, no, no, you are all wrong.  Obama doesn't go to church because church comes to him. lol

1. BJBenson profile image60
      BJBensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, that is Chuck Norris.

16. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

With any luck he will be like all the other people in public office in America and just goes along with religion because he has to.
    Not too many heads of industry or Government are allowed to be without a religion in the USA. One of the things about America that others laugh about. smile

1. rmcrayne profile image89

Well said.  It's a bigger taboo in the US to be athiest or agnostic than it is to be homosexual.

Why "with any luck"? Because of your bigotry?

3. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's no law against atheists running for office. If an atheist isn't "allowed" to serve in public office, it's because the people don't vote for him or her in enough numbers. It's one of the pitfalls of living in a Democratic Republic. Would you prefer to force an atheist politician on unwilling voters?

17. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 14 years ago

No, it's just stupid to put that out as a litmus test on people as if that proves whether they're worthy or not.
    You're basically saying this is a Christian Democracy, and HELLO! That's no Democracy at all!
    There are all kinds of people who live here.
    It's not a monopoly. And if it is, that needs to c-h-a-n-g-e.

18. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

During the election campaign Obama was crucified for going to his church in Chicago. Now the same mentally challenged people are castigating him for allegedly not attending church. You people are shameless.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Oh that is right!!!!!!!!!

That's so funny.  Good pick up Ralph.

19. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

He and the First Lady prefer the Chapel at Camp David. They are saving us money by not going to church. Do you realize the logistics for that and the inconvenience to the church when a President attends? He gets much advice from religious leaders and many Christians on all sides of the political spectrum are praying for him and Michelle. I see no problem with this. It is only a problem with others, deal with it. IMO

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Good points.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Another really good point.  I wonder how much he is saving us each Sunday?

Enough to pay for Michelle's personal staff I bet.wink

20. lovemychris profile image76

It's Obama Derangement Syndrome...they can't help it. LOL

21. moneymedia profile image59
    moneymediaposted 14 years ago

So what! What makes a good person is not determined by someone going to church or any religious or holy places. I have witnessed some very unsavory people who because in their beliefs, think that they have the right to say and do whatever they feel like to other fellow humans. What gives you the right to judge and criticize any one?  You do not show a morel higher ground just by going to church. Religion is the cause of all the evil. Religion does not allow tolerance with people that do not conform to your way of thinking.  You would be better of going to church to find peace and not to claim a higher ground just because you choose to go there.

22. William R. Wilson profile image60

I've already said it but I'll say it again since the topic has opened up again:  Bush didn't attend church in Washington either while he was President. 

The only reason this is an issue is because people who don't agree with Obama want to make it an issue.

23. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Imagine that!  Everyone surprised raise your hand.

24. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

I heard a rumor that Obama has Rev. Jeremiah Write stashed in a secret room in the White HOuse basement where the Obama family worships together every morning when the President is in town.

25. Danny R Hand profile image60
    Danny R Handposted 14 years ago

The news reported Easter that Obama attended a methodist church, which was located in the poorest district in DC. You never seen Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr., Or Reagan do that.

26. lovemychris profile image76

I also heard an interview with a man who worked with Obama back in his community organizing days.
    He said there was a ghetto in Chicago that no body would dare go into...except for Obama. He went in there and helped the tenants organize for better living conditions.
    There is something really special about him...something intangible,can't put your finger on it.
    He can't be rattled.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)