HubPages Acquiring Key Content from Squidoo

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 111 discussions (560 posts)
  1. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
    Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years ago

Big news today, Hubbers! Over the next several weeks, HubPages will be acquiring key content from Squidoo. Please be sure to read Paul Edmondson's blog post and our recently published FAQ (or Squidoo's blog post and FAQ) for more details.

Feel free to post any questions you have about the transition to this thread. We will be updating our FAQ regularly so please check it before posting!

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do we need to move our Squidoo content ourselves if we have content at both places? How will your know that we are the same writer?

I tried transferring my content from Squidoo, but it wants me to open a new account at Hubpages. I don't want to do that.

I think this move will make Hubpages stronger in the search engines and will be good for everyone all around. Great idea!

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
        Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Barbara Kay

Thanks for the question.  See #4 under existing Hubbers in the FAQ.  http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq

OK. I see I need to start a new account. I guess I'll have two now.

2. SuffolkJason profile image81
          SuffolkJasonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Am I right to say that if we have a Squidoo account and a Hubpages account we need to set up a new Hubpages account to receive our Squidoo content - using a different username AND e-mail address to our existing Hubpages account?

Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that is correct.

1. SuffolkJason profile image81
              SuffolkJasonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ok Thanks!

2. profile image0
              annmackiemillerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

can't we do new hubs using our squidoo content on our existing account - allowing for time for it to be deindexed

would that be better for us on a personal basis -

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
        LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Apparently we have to open a new HP account for our lenses.

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I read the blog about this awhile ago and immediately went to Squidoo to opt in early to have my stuff transferred over. I'm very excited about this, this is good news!

3. NateB11 profile image88

I noticed I can't plug in my Amazon ID yet on the subdomain for my Lenses that will be transferred. Will the Amazon ads on those Lenses be transferred over with the Lenses? And then we will be able to plug in our Amazon IDs in our Earnings Settings?  Probably obvious, but I'm just clarifying.

Nate, can you further describe the problem with entering in your Amazon ID? You should be able to associate it on this page right now: https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/affiliate/amazon

Yes, Amazon products from Lenses will be transferred over into Hubs.

1. lisavollrath profile image94
          lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm transferring to Squidoo, and was unable to enter my Amazon information without creating a hub first. That link seems to allow me to input my info, but not activate the Amazon Program until I have a hub (or until the tidal wave of Squidoo lenses is transferred over).

2. NateB11 profile image88

What lisavollrath described is what was happening to me, also. It said I need to create a Hub. I didn't want to do that because I don't want to foul up the process. I'm going to go back to that subdomain, see if I can do it now.

Edit: Same thing when I went back, it has the link that says I need to create at least one Hub. I'm okay with waiting for the articles to be transferred.

I'm assuming that once the articles are all transferred that I can add more Hubs to that subdomain. Feels like a silly question, but just want to make sure I got it straight.

Nate, apologies for the delay but I think I've figured out why you were having trouble associating your external Amazon ID without a published Hub. The interface assumes you want to set up the HubPages Amazon Program so it lists the requirements for that. At the bottom of the association page, there is a link that reads "configure an external Amazon Associates ID" (see screenshot below) and if you click on that, you will be taken to a page that asks only for your Amazon ID. You don't have to have published a Hub to configure an external ID. I apologize that the message on this page is confusing!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9186345.png

1. NateB11 profile image88

No problem, Marina, I seemed to have overlooked that. Thank you, very much appreciated. I went over to that subdomain and associated my Amazon ID in my earnings settings.

4. Nyamache profile image59
      Nyamacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm just wondering how the lenses will appear once they're moved here. They've different format compared to hubs.

5. sockii profile image71
      sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd like a little clarification on the timing issue, since Squidoo HQ has been useless in answering this (I guess they have no reason to care at this point) and there is a lot of confusion among lensmasters on these matters:

I did agree to the transfer from Squidoo via my account there. We are told there we can edit our lenses until August 22. And we have until August 29 to delete our account if we don't want the entire thing potentially transferred.

So. What happens between Aug 22 and Aug 29?

As I said, I agreed to the transfer, but I have some lenses I want to delete between now and the 22nd (or now and the 29, if possible) because I KNOW they won't fit in here at Hubpages, or I prefer to republish them to one of my own websites. I also have some I've deleted because I prefer to send them to my already established Hubpages account where they better fit my niche topics there.

Am I going to get in trouble because I've deleted some lenses since agreeing to the transfer? What kind of limbo-land are our lenses in between the 22nd and the 29th? I have a few that are really time sensitive right now, (like my top lens about the DragonCon convention in Atlanta, taking place over the Labor Day weekend) so it's important to me for that reason among several others.

What can or can't I do with my lenses between August 22 and August 29?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can't speak with 100% authority about what will happen on the Squidoo side in regard to locking of accounts and deleting of lenses, but on our side we are going to start moving accounts that opted in beginning as soon as August 25.  The state that your account is in at the point that we move it will determine what comes over.

We are still working through some of the technical details of the lens import process.  When we do start, we are going to work through the initial accounts slowly so that we can identify and address any bugs that may have been missed in testing.  So there is a good chance that even if you are opted in, that your account will not be moved until after that August 29th date.   We will provide more details on timing and how specific modules will translate (or not) as the start of the import approaches.

1. sockii profile image71

OK, thank you. Once again the staff here at HP has been wonderful in answering these questions many of us have right now and that's very reassuring.

1. HomeArtist profile image61
            HomeArtistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it refreshing, Sockii? I even received an 'real-person' email!
            I'm startin' to love this place. smile

6. Valerie Bloom profile image88
      Valerie Bloomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Greetings! I have a question about the duplicate content policy. I have several articles on Ezine that have been viewed hardly at all -- perhaps 1-3 views of each article. The articles are perfectly good but are not finding an audience at Ezine. I'd like to delete them from Ezine and then publish them on HubPages to see if HP is a better fit for my work. Would this be acceptable, or would it be considered a violation of the duplicate content policy. Thanks for your guidance!

1. LindaSmith1 profile image60

No, it would be duplicate content.  You can try rewriting your Ezines, but even then they are picked up as duplicate content.

1. Valerie Bloom profile image88

Bummer. But thanks for the clarification!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LindaSmith1 is right but she is also wrong.  If you delete from EA and try to publish them here immediately, they will be marked as duplicate and unpublished.   However if you delete them from EA, then wait until they've disappeared from Google, then you can publish them on HubPages without any problems. 

One tip though - just search Google to make sure it hasn't been used by someone else.  The whole point of EA is that all the articles are free for bloggers to use on their own blogs, so you may find it's already been copied somewhere.  If that's the case, then you won't be able to publish them here.

If you're lucky and they haven't been copied, then you can republish them here but you need to wait a while after deleting.  The HubPages duplicate checker works by checking Google, and a page doesn't disappear from Google when it's deleted from a site.   That's because Google isn't instant - you have to wait until Google's robots go back and crawl that site again, and discover the page has gone.  When that happens is unpredictable - it could be a few hours or it could be a month. You can check by searching for it yourself. 

It is possible to tell Google that a page has gone, to speed up the process.  Frankly I've never bothered to do that, as I've generally got better things to do!  So what I'd do is delete it from EA, create a Hub with it, then let it sit unpublished for a week or two to let Google do its thing.    Even if it does get flagged as dupe, it's no big deal - it gets unpublished, not deleted, so you can just leave it sit there a bit longer and try again later.

Okay, that sounds reasonable. According to my Ezine stats, the articles were only viewed a few times and were not picked up. But I'll do a Google search to be sure. Thanks!!!

7. profile image0
      Prosperity66posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here's my question.

A very serious one and I'd appreciate a neat answer. You wouldn't imagine how much this is bothering me.

How can anyone acquire content from someone who is NOT the owner of said content?

I mean, Seth Godin could sell the site, the lenses - but those should be... empty since the content is not his property and thus he's not supposed to be allowed to sell it.

Am I wrong?

I have nothing against HubPages and have been a loyal Hubber for 6+ years. But I do question the process of acquiring content from someone that is not its owner.

Can Paul or you answer to that, please?

Thanks a lot in advance.
      Dom.

1. jeffryv profile image63
        jeffryvposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lots of web properties get sold that include user content.
        e.g. Tumblr, Instagram just to name a couple of the big ones

1. profile image0

Still since S owner doesn't own the content he shoud sell lenses... empty, hm... Jeffry wink

On a more serious note, I've read in lots of places that this kind of transaction is not really ok so I think I have the right to enquire about that and get a clear answer. Especially because of the way things have been dealt with on S side.

2. Sue Adams profile image96
        Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is a very good question although it's probably covered by Terms of Agreement. But in principle, shouldn't the copyright owners, the authors, at the least get their share of revenue from those who sold their property? It would be interesting to know how much they got.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

They can't.  HubPages is not buying the content, it is buying the right to display that content until such time as the owner decides to remove it.  That's all.

1. profile image0

Shouldn't such a right be paid to the content owner?

1. relache profile image71
            relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When you signed both the Squidoo and HubPages terms of use, and became a user of both those sites, you were in a legal contract with them.  Those legal contracts both say the terms can be changed at any time and if you, the user, don't like it, you are free to take your content and depart.

HubPages bought the right to serve the content that had been residing at Squidoo.  No rights that you, a content creator, have are actually involved in the sales part of this deal.  The content authors still own their content, and they have the right to either allow the content to be moved, or delete it.  Or delete it and move it yourself. 

If you opt to move to HubPages, you can have the potential to earn from your content if you are willing to adapt it to the rules here.  Which you have already agreed that you understand and will follow just by opening an account.

1. profile image0

I'm really sorry Relache (and no disrespect entended) but unless you are HubPages owner or staff member, I didn't ask the question to you. You are not supposed to have the same knowledge as Paul Edmondson or his staff that was probably trained for the matter.

By the way I joined HubPages almost 7 years ago... and am a bit used to the site.

1. jellygator profile image88
                jellygatorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You sound like you think Paul is an attorney who can answer your legal question.

Relache's answer is correct. Nothing is owed to a content creator beyond what a publisher agrees to pay them. Squidoo & HubPages do not pay you for your material, nor do they own any portion of it. They are not selling any of your material. Why would you get paid?

If People magazine sold to Better Homes and Gardens, would everyone who ever wrote an article or placed an ad be entitled to a cut? Nope!

2. Ilonagarden profile image91
                Ilonagardenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that Relache is trying to answer for Hubpages, but give insight into how this part of the internet works. Free hosting is what sites such as Squidoo have provided, with the additional perk of allowing users to make income from them.

If you worry about the owners of such sites making a profit from their entrepreneurship and ingenuity then you can try to produce a like business yourself. Or pay for hosting and put your content there without worry of someone profiting anything from its presence ( except you).

4. Marigold Tortelli profile image73
        Marigold Tortelliposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know I'm a little late to the game here, and I hate for my first forum post to come out against this big move and Squidoo, but legally speaking, Squidoo can do what they want because we have the option to delete our content. All of the time we can remove our content so legally they are covered. However, ethically you, @Prosperity66, are completely right. Squidoo was not sold, it's content was. If Squidoo had been sold then Squidoo would still be up and running past October 1. If everyone had decided to go ahead and delete all of their lenses, what would Hubpages have thought then, and what kind of payday would Seth Godin have received then? The good thing about this is we get a 401 redirect so our articles don't necessarily just disappear after October 1. I'm trying to be as upbeat about this as possible, and I'm going along with the move with some of my stuff to see what happens. But I really feel for Prosperity66 because Hubpages has been around for as long as Squidoo has and if we had wanted to write for Hubpages we would have been writing for Hubpages. If Squidoo had actually been bought, like people who are trying to deny that it was the content that was bought keep saying, then we would still have the option to write for Squidoo. I'm sorry to sound so cynical and angry about all of this, but there are some things that are 100% legal but still leave you feeling like someone should have put $100 on the dresser before leaving.

1. profile image0

Well indeed you're a bit late to the game but all opinions are always welcome. Though I've been writing for HubPages for 6+ years...

However as you say, if many of us would have wanted to write for HubPages they'd joined HubPages...

Personally I like HubPages for my more "serious" writings, like History, travel, and even my tarot card course - I also definitely love the layout for movies and TV series. I think that both sites weren't suitable for all kinds of niches and that while my serious pages look better on Hubpages, the holiday pages I wrote looked nicer on Squidoo because of its fancy design.

I'm not sure my other niches will do it on here but I'll wait till the transfer is complete to modify them so as to make them look attractive and have them to comply with HP's TOS.

Although I can't speak for others, I tend to think that now most soon-to-be former lensmasters are past anger and most are excited to see how the transfer worked and how big the work afterwards will be.

The support here is amazing. It is one of the things that makes the move smoother and helped the most angry, frustrated, sad, disappointed, ... of us to see te move in a different way. Plus HP is sooooooooo easy to use... and you'll never have to pull your hair off wondering what triggered any kind of filter wink

2. Linda BookLady profile image80
          Linda BookLadyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Please rethink your comments about Seth Godin. He started the Squidoo site with altruistic intentions, to use profits to donate to charity. He ended it the same way, by arranging for our content to be transferred to HubPages so we could continue earning, and so our 301 redirects would send our traffic along with us. This is nothing but kindness. He could have just pulled the plug on Squidoo and said, "Take your content and good luck." No, he helped us by making this deal with HubPages.

And I don't for a minute believe he did it for profit. He was losing money on Squidoo... paying us everything owed for our pages, then having to pay his employees - probably out of his personal savings account. That would probably make anyone give up on a huge and much-cared-about long-term project... don't you think? And how much money do you expect HubPages would pay for 175,000 pages of content from a site that failed? I don't buy into the idea that Seth sold our stuff to gain riches. More likely, he was saving his family's future by giving up. I admire what he did. Seth Godin is a man of integrity.

1. chateaudumer profile image84
            chateaudumerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I say Amen. Amen to the comment of Linda Booklady on Seth Godin of Squidoo!

2. Brite-Ideas profile image95
            Brite-Ideasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

after the initial shock, this has pretty much been my gut feeling and thought on it as well

3. Margaret Schindel profile image95
            Margaret Schindelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda, this is how I have felt since the announcement that Squidoo was ceasing operations and that Seth had worked out a deal with Paul E. to give us the option to transfer our content reasonably seamlessly to HubPages and that we would have 4 months total to bring our lenses into compliance with HubPages' requirements. I was shocked and deeply saddened by the news of Squidoo's demise, but I have always had the greatest respect for the amazing team of people who had a remarkable vision and made it happen. Thank you for sharing your perspective on this publicly, even though it's not a popular one, and know that many others share it.

1. Linda BookLady profile image80

Thanks for the support and agreement...  to Chateaudumer and Brite-Ideas, and Margaret. We'll get through this. I am so grateful my writing work is to be so easily preserved.

3. makingamark profile image70
          makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Incorrect. It's perfectly possible to offer a home to the content without the content being 'sold'.

It's quite normal for companies/organisations/ventures which have been sold to disappear. This frequently occurs when they are bought for their assets (e.g. code and membership) and not their name. The 'not very nice' term frequently used for such operations is "asset stripping". Essentially it recognises that even in an operation which is failing there is still value in the assets which remain - and that this can be realised through a sale.

The reason HubPages cannot have bought the lens content (as opposed to the templates, the module code and the membership database) is that it's not Seth Godin's to sell - it belongs to the person who created it. How do I know this?
          * the copyright notice
          * if anybody ever wanted to serve a DMCA notice re content which had been plagiarised the person who has always had to service it in the past was the author - i.e. the content owner - not Seth Godin.
          * nobody had to have their content transferred - there was an opt out.

To my mind there is no question of the content being sold as there was no legal basis for this to have happened.  HubPages has acquired the right to display the content for free - with the consent of the owner (when they pressed the green button and/or failed to opt out) - just as Seth Godin did every time somebody wrote a lens.

However HubPages has not acquired any ownership of the content - as opposed to a right to host and display it - because you can remove it any time you like.

8. pkmcruk profile image68
      pkmcrukposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi

I have a question about duplicate content. Many of us have been victims of plagiarism as I am sure many existing members of HubPages have. However, over time Squidoo has recognised that ours was the original and the articles have continued to be featured.

I have one in particular that has been online since 2009 and has been copied that many times that I have all but given up trying to get them taken down - it would become a full-time job!  When one is even getting the article copied and pasted onto Local Authority sites here in the UK it becomes an almost impossible task.

So my question is will the recognition of our content as being the original (non-duplcate) article by HubPages or will we have to substantially re-write them or take them down?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

1. FanfrelucheHubs profile image77
        FanfrelucheHubsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Looking to an answer too. It's impossible to DMCA every single sites that have stolen my content over the years. I do send DMCA's but scrapers are everywhere it's it's impossible to put an end to it.

I hope we retain the creation date on our pages?

1. pkmcruk profile image68

Nathalie - Paul Edmondson replied to another question about this and confirmed that the original creation date would be carried over from Squidoo.

9. RanaKm profile image44
      RanaKmposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I received the newsletter, why is that happening though? Lol

10. pkmcruk profile image68

HELP!

There is a rumour circulating that in order for the transfer to happen effectively our Squidoo and new HubPages accounts need to have the same email address associated with them!  As many of us had existing accounts at HubPages we created our new accounts with new email addresses.

Could a Staff member verify that we don't have to have the same email address with our Squidoo account and our new HubPages account?

1. FanfrelucheHubs profile image77
        FanfrelucheHubsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hope that's not the case, it may be complicated for some. The easy fix would be to change the email in squidoo before it's too late? I might just do that, just in case.

Yes I have done that as well Nathalie (just in case) but I know a few people are concerned about it so I thought I would ask on their behalf :-)

2. Paula Atwell profile image69
        Paula Atwellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is an important point. Since I already had a hubpages account, I had to open a second one with a different email address. Do they need to match?

3. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

If you click the link from Squidoo and create a HubPages account you can use any email address you like as long as there isn't a HubPages account already associated with that email address.

For people that wait for the automatic transfer and they already have a HubPages account with the same email address that they used for Squidoo, we will post shortly in the FAQ on how to setup your HubPages account after the transfer.

Please read the FAQ http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq

Thanks Paul (great name btw!) that's really helpful and I know will calm a few nerves - will pass the message on!

2. Arachnea profile image66
          Arachneaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've not been able to keep up with this entirely. Skimming through the comments, there is a lot of great input. Thanks for the contribs. Hopefully, this weekend, I can spend more time visiting the comments.

11. Valerie Bloom profile image88

I wanted to check about linking hubs together so that people can find other hubs of mine on a related topic. Squidoo had a great way of doing this where you could make a page dedicated to providing links to a "family" of related articles, but I don't think HubPages has an equivalent for this "lensography."

I read on the help topics here that you can link your lenses via the dashboard (and I think in the editor as well). Do those the articles selected for linking then show up on the bottom of the current article? Do ALL of the article links show up at the bottom of the article, or just a certain number? Can you select which articles you want to display as links at the bottom of the article, or are they randomly displayed from the list of linked articles?

I have a whole bunch of articles about vegan living coming over from Squidoo. I want readers of any of these articles to know that there are others I've written that they might also like to read. While I don't want to overwhelm a reader with a list of 25 related lenses, I do want them to see a good sampling from different categories (basic information, recipes, and community).

Are there any other methods of directing people to collections of related hubs? Are there different ways of directing people based on whether they are entering a URL to get started ("Here's the address for my articles about vegan living!") or are already reading one of your hubs? ("If you enjoyed this, you may also be interested in these other articles!")

Thanks for your feedback!

1. Brite-Ideas profile image95

I would like to know this as well, thank you. I built a hub and have used the link list capsule to list another hub? wondering if that's the only way to do this or how we do this?

There is a simple way to do this. Either you can use the link capsule or you can link in a text capsule. Look at the top of the text capsule and you'll see a place to make links.

Thanks Barbara, that's what I suspected too, wonderful - I'll use the link list - 2 links to the same domain or sub domain I suspect (so only 2 internal links to our own related work on Hub Pages?)

1. Sue Adams profile image96

That is correct. Even linked photos count as part of those two links per domain.

thanks for the response, appreciate that.

1. Solaras profile image96
                  Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have multiple links - 4-6 in the link capsule to my sub-domain, and I am not getting any violation notices...

1. Margaret Schindel profile image95

That's wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

No, you can link as much as you like within HubPages.  The 2 link limit applies to external domains.

Do be careful, though:  HubPages is very strict about links being related.  So link ONLY to other Hubs on the same topic.

wonderful, thank you - that's where category groupings come in very handy when we sort Hubs - did this on squidoo and I see groupings are here as well and even easier to create. Love that.

2. Margaret Schindel profile image95

Thanks. That's not only reasonable but also smart. I've always believed in using relevance and helpfulness to our target audiences as litmus tests when making writing and editing choices.

Yes they do. It's called a "Capstone Hub".   It was originally part of a paid program, but they are still allowed.  You have to create them manually - there's no preset template. 

Basically, what you do is create a new Hub with an introduction to your topic, then use Links Capsules to create links to your Hubs.   Write two or three lines of unique description for each Hub, otherwise you'll get duplicate content penalties.   It's important to dress it up with a meaningful introduction, a few images and a conclusion, so it's more than just a list of links.

like a lensography? because that's one of the things we all use a lot?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I don't know what a lensography looks like so I'm not sure!   

The vital thing with a Capstone Hub is that it has to be about ONE subject.   If you create one for a miscellany of your Hubs, for instance, you'll get slapped for having unrelated links.  Also it needs to have content other than just a list of links.

That's a huge relief. Thank you, Marisa! Many of us have been building focused niches and the Capstone capability will be a huge help.

Another idea which may help is that you can create a Capstone Hub which includes other people's Hubs, to help spread the love.   For instance, when I joined HubPages there were very few flamenco Hubs, and I had several.  So I created a Capstone Hub for "Flamenco on HubPages" which included all my Hubs and all the good Hubs I could find on flamenco by other Hubbers.  Useful if you're in a small niche and have only written a handful of Hubs on the topic.

Love it! Those of us who were Squidoo Contributors did something similar with our official Contributor pages to help promote the best lenses in our niche, both our own articles and others'.

2. Brite-Ideas profile image95

It is a relief for me too - but they're all done up using something we call 'featured lenses' and last I read they hadn't decided on how they were going to transfer that list over temporarily - I backed it up, but without the featured lenses it will look empty for now.

12. JosephDickens profile image56
      JosephDickensposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello, Is it possible to repost our articles in our existing hub account instead of transferring it and creating a new account?

13. Valerie Bloom profile image88

Greetings! I have a couple of questions.

1) When you publish a new hub, is there a place on HubPages where you can post a link to let folks know it exists? I understand that it's poor manners to post links on discussion boards here, but is there a specific "promotion" board of some sort?

2) Is there a way to list keywords that appear in our articles, or is that done automatically based on words and phrases that appear in the body of the hub?

Thank you so much! I appreciate the time you've all taken to help Lensmasters get their Hubber legs!

When you publish a new Hub, it will show up in the feed and potentially be emailed to users that follow you to notify people of your Hub.

The best way to get followers is by being active. Follow other Hubbers you love and leave thoughtful comments.

The tag feature that gave people the ability to create a keyword like cluster was removed because of spam abuse.  The best way to get keywords in a hub is to write naturally. Use them once or twice.  Google is very good at figuring out what a Hub is about.

14. profile image58
      Kayhefebposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I read the blog about this awhile ago and immediately went to Squidoo to opt in early to have my stuff transferred over. I'm very excited about this, this is good news!

15. dougwest1 profile image95
      dougwest1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Has the transfer process started? I have a few Lens that need to be transfer to Hubpages and I just wounder when it will occur.

Yes, a few accounts have been transferred... we should have ours done soon if we've opted in.

1. dougwest1 profile image95
          dougwest1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda:
          Thanks for the update. I have opted in for the transfer and am ready to get going with HubPages.

Doug, our lenses are being imported on a "first come, first served" basis depending on when we clicked the transfer button to set up our new transfer account on HubPages. So depending on when you decided to opt-in for the transfer, your lenses could be imported into HubPages within days or weeks. All lenses should be transferred by the end of the month, although since the transfers seem to be going fairly smoothly I'm guessing they'll be done considerably sooner. HTH.

2. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image82
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 years ago

It is a great news.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

Sounds like a great plan for Squidoo instead of simply closing their site.  It's nice to see companies work together like this.  I read both links, thanks for letting us know.  I haven't written on Squidoo, but have seen some of their lenses, which look quite different from the HP layout.  I know they have some great writers.  Well done!

1. Dan W Miller profile image74
      Dan W Millerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I get better information from comments in quick wrap-up comments. Thank you

4. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 9 years ago

This is interesting. I'll say that I like the HubPages earning model more than Squidoo's. I find it to be more fair. I'm not confident my Squidoo content will thrive, however, as it is pretty much Hubs I rewrote to see how they would do on another platform.

5. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

Is their any disadvantage if I just copy and paste the Squidoo article to my existing Hubpage account and then delete it at Squidoo? I only have one lens and I don't want to start a new Hubpages account with just one.

The main disadvantage is that your content will be unpublished for some time while you transfer, i.e., you need to export it from Squidoo, delete it from your Squidoo account, then republish it on HubPages. However, with just one Lens on Squidoo I can understand why you would not want to create a new account. It's totally up to you! Just make sure that the article is not published on both sites simultaneously.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image77

I realized I misread your question (but maybe answered it anyway?) smile

I definitely recommend deleting and exporting the article from Squidoo before publishing it on HubPages to avoid the duplicate content issue.

Thank you for your help.

3. lisavollrath profile image94

I think if you copy your Squidoo lenses to HubPages, and then delete them on Squidoo, you will lose the 301 redirects from your old Squidoo addresses to your new HubPages. If you have any lenses that are highly ranked on Google, I'd hold off on copying and pasting, and let the Squidoo transfer tool get those redirect links in place.

I've been thinking about the redirect also. I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

Exactly.   It may seem neater to manually transfer your lenses to your existing HP account, but you will lose all the reputation your lenses had built up.   Of course, if they weren't doing well anyway, then you may as well delete and repost here.

3. chateaudumer profile image84

Sorry to ask this dumb question, what is a 301 redirect?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is a programming code. This is what it does:  If someone clicks on a link to your article on Squidoo, he will automatically be redirected to the article's new location on HubPages.  It's a good thing.

Thanks for the info Writer Fox.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I only had 2 lenses left myself.  i simply copied the one I wanted to keep and then deleted both of them and closed my Squidoo account. I will revamp my lens and then post it on HP since I did make sales from it. I was not about to open another HP account for one or two lenses.

5. DreamsInBloom profile image75
      DreamsInBloomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The main advantage to having it moved over automatically is that links to the Squidoo lens will be re-directed to the new Hubpages hub.

If you copy and paste it over yourself, delete the lens and start it new at Hubpages then any links (like if you've pinned it to pinterest or it's ranking well on google) will be lost.

It some cases it might make sense to do it this way though. Such as your case of only having one lens.

Thanks.

6. profile image0
    Rex Reationposted 9 years ago

As someone who has a significant number of articles on Squidoo, I'm curious about what will happen to SEO rankings.

Most of my articles are 2+ years old, nicely matured, and several of them get pretty steady traffic.

Is Squidoo / Hubpages (Squidpages? Hubdoo?) planning to do 301 redirects or something to maintain existing rankings?

Thanks for the info.

Yep! Actually, I suggest reading Squidoo's FAQ entry on this (it's very detailed): http://hq.squidoo.com/hp-faq/

Look for the "What will happen with my Squidoo URLs?" question.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60

That is what I read somewhere, 301 redirect but it won't work if lensmasters delete their lenses and transfer them themselves.

7. sabrebIade profile image78
    sabrebIadeposted 9 years ago

Not really crazy about having two accounts.
    I figured it would just go into what we already have.

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

@Rex Reation  For featured Lenses we are putting 301 redirects in place. It's impossible to predict how traffic will flow over.  I suspect most will stay the same, some will go way up and others come down.  It's the nature of the beast when it comes to migrating content.  Over time, it all tends to work out. 

We did this to add scale to HubPages.  I believe we can add some magic to Squidoo content when it's moved to HubPages.

1. profile image0
      Rex Reationposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good! In that case I'm happy to have the content transferred over here.

A very interesting thing to see two big platforms merge like this. It should bump Hubpages up into the top 50 I'd imagine.

2. Charlino99 profile image79
      Charlino99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice to meet you, and this is good news.  I look forward to learning and helping my fellow artists here.

9. profile image0
    annmackiemillerposted 9 years ago

I make a lot of amazon sales via my squidoo lenses but hubpages don't allow the 20 links squidoo does. How is this going to work out - do we need to alter our lenses before they are transferred?

1. Ramkitten2000 profile image91
      Ramkitten2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hope not. Some of us have a lot of lenses (250 here) without enough notice to make changes.

1. jellygator profile image88
        jellygatorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree! I am lukewarm to the idea and feeling extremely pressured.

10. profile image0
    Jason Sositkoposted 9 years ago

Yes that is correct, log into Squidoo and you'll see what you need on the Dash.

11. goatfury profile image90
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

Anyone know if we move content over from Squidoo manually (I have a decent sized account over there), will we be able to just publish the hubs here?  Will Google think it's duplicate content if we delete the old Squidoo posts?  Thanks for the help.

1. lisavollrath profile image94

After I hit the button to setup the transfer over at Squidoo, and set up my account here, this appeared at the top of my HubPages dashboard:

"Your Lenses will be imported as Hubs and accessible from this page on or after August 25. Don't worry, we'll email you when the import is completed. Until then, please don't create any new Hubs that contain duplicate content from the Squidoo Lenses we're importing."

1. goatfury profile image90
        goatfuryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I see, and thanks.  I don't think that's quite the same situation I'm in, though-  I'd like to manually move all of my posts over here so that I have only one HP username.  I'll see if the tech support gets back to me.

1. spirituality profile image58
          spiritualityposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you move your own lenses to hubpages - make sure to delete the lenses. Otherwise they'll be automatically moved, which means you get duplicate content. The disadvantage of moving them yourself is that you won't get the 301 redirect from the old lens to the new.

Honestly - I would just let hubpages do their thing. It's one of the reasons I'm moderately glad at this move: they have a great IT staff, from what I can tell. Very logical and sensible.

I hear you.  However, I don't really want a new account at Hubpages, since I already have an active account here (and somewhat successful, although new).

No need for tech support, surely - if you're not going to use the system Squidoo has set up, then there's nothing special about it.  The automated dupe content filter certainly won't be able to tell your text came from Squidoo!  So the usual rules will apply, the ones that apply every time you publish previously published content.

You'll need to delete the lens, and make sure it's de-indexed from Google, before you can publish it here.  Of course, you can always transfer it and leave it unpublished until you get around to de-indexing. 

Having said that, if your Lenses have achieved any kind of ranking on the SERPs, it would seem mad to lose it all by manually transferring them.

Thanks, Marisa. Is there a particular procedure for de-indexing from Google?  This is (believe it or not) my first time ever wanting content gone from the internet in 20 years of content creation!

You have two options for de-indexing.  One is to contact Google and notify them.  I'll be honest, I've never bothered.  After all, the content will be de-indexed anyway in a few weeks - what's the rush?   I always have more important things to do. 

In your shoes, I'd be deleting the lenses and creating the new Hubs, then simply leaving them unpublished for a fortnight or so, while I got on with other projects.  Then publish them.  If the duplicate filter is triggered, no problem - just unpublish them again and wait a bit longer. 

A word of warning - check for plagiarised copies of your lenses before you delete.  Otherwise the stolen copies will be regarded as the originals and you'll never be able to get them removed. 

Mind you, as I said, I wouldn't be manually transferring at all.  Your lenses, as manually created Hubs, will start out at the bottom of the Google rankings again, with no traffic and no links and no reputation.  Whereas if they're automatically transferred, they'll bring their reputation and Google rank with them.

Any thoughts about my concerns with having 2 Hubpages accounts?

I absolutely would prefer to do this the easy way, but I have built a bit of a reputation over here and I'd really like to keep the current "goatfury" one active if at all possible, and not have to manage two different accounts! 

And thanks so much for taking the time to talk about this.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
                  Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A lot of hubbers  already have two (or more) accounts. Some like to keep a particular niche subject under one account.  I have heard several people say it is helpful.  If it splits up the revenue you receive... you will still get it  all in time.

2. Solaras profile image96

Linking between the two sub-domains may have value for you. I found that when some of my hubs went over to the Editors Choice domain, it helped my hubs across the board.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

Who is aware of your reputation?  If it's just fellow Hubbers, then that ain't worth a ha'porth of tar, I'm afraid.   It's nice motivation but it won't do anything for your earnings. 

You make money on HubPages when 90% of your readers come from the search engines.  Although you do have your own sub-domain here, most of those readers won't know who you are and won't even notice who wrote your articles.   I know it's a blow to the ego, but it's just the way it is.   If you want to build a loyal readership, you need your own blog or website, where people can sign up for your newsletter or to be notified of new posts. 

So you see, it really doesn't matter whether you have one account or fifty.  As your account gets bigger, you'll find there's some advantage in having it split into more than one account, especially if you can organise them into separate niches.

2. HomeArtist profile image61

GOOD ADVICE!!

2. profile image0

you would have to deindex them with google first before publishing them on hp

3. profile image0
      Jason Sositkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You must remove from the deleted page's cache from Google before a move or it will most likely trigger a duplicate content warning.

If you just wait for a transfer, I see they are doing a 301 redirect.

4. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

If you move them manually, it will likely be more laborious and there won't be 301s in place. If you do, you may also run in to duplicate content issues if they are still up or cached on other sites.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I tried to play it safe.  I used the google url removal too and hope my deleted lenses disappear from google.

12. spirituality profile image58
    spiritualityposted 9 years ago

I was wondering how the differences in editorial policy between squidoo and hubpages will pan out. On squidoo I was (as a giant squid) able to have lenses with over 10 links to the same domain. Say to my own site, an affiliate site like shareasale, or an authority site on the topic. Will those links stay up, or will the new hub be flagged as soon as it goes live?

Similarly, on Squidoo we were allowed quite a few affiliate links to Amazon. What will happen to those links? I don't mind them moved over to the hubpages amazon program, as long as they don't actually disappear or get my hub locked.

I would be very interested in the reply to Spirituality's question as I am in the same boat. I think the merger presents a great opportunity and have already created my second HubPages account so that my 144 lenses can be moved over. 

However, we have been working with very different limits on Squidoo and I have been seeing substantial volumes of sales on a daily basis. So how things are going to work is really key to maintaining my levels of enthusiasm for the merger!

1. profile image0

no one seems to be answering that question Paul

1. Ilona1 profile image62
          Ilona1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it is too soon to tell?

I have been writing on hubpages (slowly) for awhile and it is very different. It takes a bit of time to get used to "land legs" after having sea legs... which is how I would describe the transition for me.

2. profile image0

Paul: I can say that most of my Hubs (46)  are a different style than what I was doing on Squidoo with an eye more toward sales on Squidoo.

However, in the past 6 months I did create 4 pages that were a little more geared to selling a product. While keeping inline with HP's link limits, I have been pleasantly surprised by the results, it really changed my thinking about what could be possible using affiliate links on HP. I have had several sales this month at 8% as well, with my own Account it would have been 6.5%

There are clever ways you can rearrange the capsules "as HP calls them" to sit next to text. You can still add a few jump off links in the first few paragraphs as well.

I am not 100% sure what the allowed usage difference is between using your own Amazon links and the capsules, I seem to remember getting warnings beyond 3 total links to one domain. The HP Amazon capsules though may not trigger that.

Thanks Jason (good to see you btw!) and thanks for replying. Yes I am familiar with those aspects as a result of my previous account here. I guess the issue is whether the lenses with 400 words per product for 10 products will pass muster here.

You might want to split that into two hubs of 2000 words a piece if I understand you correctly.  Differentiate the two hubs - for me it might be Best Chew Toys for Heavy Chewers and Best Chew Toys For Small Dogs.

2. Seasons Greetings profile image68
          Seasons Greetingsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So far I can't add any Amazon links. They don't show up. I just left them off when I published my first post here.

From what I have read HP wants 1150 words without any personal commentary, storytelling, etc. Just dry text but loads of it. Who would actually read that? That seems the biggest difference between Squidoo and HP to me.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
            Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To add Amazon ads you should use an Amazon capsule when in edit mode-- if you already tried that, there could possibly be a temporary glitch.

As for word count-- 700-800 words, I believe, is acceptable, but longer hubs usually fare better. I'm sure if you take some time to look around, you will find plenty of personal commentary and storytelling, and not a lot of "dry text". Welcome to HubPages !

1. Seasons Greetings profile image68

Thanks Rochelle.

I did try Amazon in the capsule. Read the instructions in case I had missed a step. I don't mind skipping Amazon. They don't make much money for me and I like having less clutter. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
              rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think HP is most interested in original, relevant, engaging content.  I agree with you that there is plenty of personal commentary included in featured hubs.  I have one of my hubs with personal commentary at the top of my stats column with a score of 99. Many Editor's Choice hubs include a personal touch as well as inform.   I think the key is including content that is easily readable and answers the search query in an engaging way.

1. Seasons Greetings profile image68

Several of my best scoring posts were short reviews. Will see what happens. I have my own sites which I could put more work, time and content into. So, not a big issue whether or not HP wants to keep my stuff.

I have an existing account and the top posts which get traffic and give me a nice payout are mainly images and around 300 words or less in text. I'm just going to see how the cookie crumbles.

I don't know who you've been reading but that's extremely misleading!    The length is good advice - one of our top Hubbers did some experiments with the length of Hubs, and she found Hubs performed much better when they were over 800 words, up to about 1,500 words. However the "no personal commentary" stuff is just plain wrong.   HubPages is not Wikipedia! 

Hubs that get the most traffic are generally Hubs which solve a problem or offer solid information on a subject people want to research.  However, these days it's not that hard to find factual information on most topics online.  In many cases, what makes HubPages different is that Hubbers are writing about topics from their own experience.  So for instance, rather than "dry text" giving the facts about Asperger's, you'll find Hubs offering help on the practicalities of living with an Asperger's child.

3. Barbara Kay profile image73

Many writers include commentary and their own personal experiences. In fact it is encouraged. 1150 words is just a suggested amount, because they've found that longer hubs seem to do better in the search engines.

2. sockii profile image71

I also echo these questions - as a former Squidoo writer who also has a (different) account here on Hubpages which I'd recently begun using recently.

Additionally I want to know what will happen to Squidoo module content that does not have an analog here on Hubpages, or works differently. For instance, video modules on Squidoo allowed us to include descriptive/introductory text, as well as multiple videos in one module. The Hubpages video capsule is only for one video at a time, with no descriptive text.

What about Squidoo's debate module? Nothing similar here. And I have a few lenses with lengthy, extensive dialog debates which would be a shame to see completely lost in the transfer. 

How about the Squidoo Amazon modules which allowed up to 5 products at a time? Will they be converted into 5 separate Amazon capsules? Will only the first product listed be saved?

These are the things that worry me about the transition - losing vital content from my lenses instead of having the opportunity ahead of time to rework them manually to fit Hubpages. (I am trying to save backup copies of my lenses "just in case" but it's a lot of work to get to them all in time.)

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I will try to give you information that may answer some of these questions, but keep in mind that I am merely a writer here, and my answers are not anywhere official.

Our Amazon capsules used to have the ability to add more than one Amazon product.  When they decided that they should only have one, they left the old ones stand as they are.  Many of us have gone back and take out some products, but you will see that some of our hubs still have capsules that have more than one product.  When we edit the hub, there is a notice reminding us to correct it, but until we edit the capsule, it stays as it is.  I am guessing that your Amazon capsules will work the same way.  I think you will find, though, that when there are fewer choices, you get more sales.

When there is more than affiliate link, or more than two links to any one website, it generally takes someone reporting the hub before HubPages will take action.  I think it is possible that they may create some kind of program to check for this, but as far as I know, there isn't one now.

When a hub is flagged, a HubPages moderator decides if it does have serious issues.  If they decide that it does, it does not get locked. It gets unpublished. You get a notice and you can correct the issues and republish it (or delete it or more it elsewhere without changing anything).  This notice is very generic, but if you go to the hub and click on edit, you will get some more guidance as to the type of issue caused it to get unpublished.  You will have to figure out what exactly in your hub is the problem. If you can't figure it out, you can ask for help in the forums, or you can send a message to HubPages and ask for help. I am guessing they will be too busy to provide individual guidance for every hub though, so try to figure it out yourself first.

I am guessing the videos will work the same way - someone will have to flag it for them to know it has content which is not allowed here.  We are encouraged to flag hubs to keep the quality of the entire site up.

I don't know how the debates work, but we do have a great IT team that will be able to figure out how to bring them over.  I doubt that you will lose them in the transfer.

I wouldn't worry about losing vital content.  Most likely, everything will transfer over, and you will then be able to adjust it to fit the new guidelines.  Saving backups is always a good idea nonetheless. Someone said the Firefox browser has an easy add on that lets you easily save hubs. I think it was called Scrapbook or something like that. I wonder if it would work on lenses.

I do hope that HubPages or a savvy Squid makes a list of things that need to be changed, so you don't feel like you have to keep going back over and over again to change yet another something.

Thank you for an incredibly helpful response which gives a context which makes sense and hopefully will be what we encounter.

Your final comment made me smile as over the past year we do seem to have spent an awful lot of time at Squidoo re-working things to meet changing requirements. It would be nice not to have some time not doing that as I am sure fellow Squidoo members will agree :-)

1. Ruby H Rose profile image59
            Ruby H Roseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am happy for the merger in many ways.  Surprised, no doubt, I really enjoyed all the teaching tools Squidoo provided.  Thanks for all the great questions to calm our transition jitters.

2. Valerie Bloom profile image88

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post all of this information! That was extremely helpful. A lot of us are feeling overwhelmed and confused by the guidelines, and there appears to be some conflicting information as well as rumors on our end.

From what you described, it sounds like if a Lens does not meet Hub standard for Amazon links, we will have the opportunity to make corrections rather than simply have our work summarily deleted.

I suspect the best strategy is to allow the transfers to take place, then see how they look as Hubs. At that point we can update for appearance (duels, polls, pictures, etc.) as well as for compliance issues.

Thanks again, I truly appreciate the time you put into your post!

2. Sue Adams profile image96

You can use multiple video capsules in a Hub followed or preceded by a text capsule containing a description.

Hi Sue,

Yes, I realize I can do that (I've been building Hubs in my other account for a while.)

My question is about what happens to video modules coming from Squidoo, where we had text *within* those video modules, plus the ability to have multiple videos in one module. I just want to know if that text will be automatically transferred (perhaps into a new text capsule?), and all videos. Or whether we need to be prepared with backups for text like that which may get stripped out, and perhaps only one/the first video from a video module making the transfer.

It might seem inconsequential to those not used to Squidoo lens building, but you could have a whole text capsule's worth of content within a video module, not just a YouTube link. Knowing whether that will be preserved is important.

3. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

We addressed this in the FAQ.  I'll add more color to it if it's appropriate.

Featured Lenses will be featured on hubpages, even if they violate our rules today. However we plan to work with Lensmasters over time so all content is held to the same rules.

We are working to bring over Lenses as intact as possible. There was a question about duels. I don't have a specific answer for each module, but if there is structured data we are trying to preserve it and display it so it looks good. This is the majority of the work we need to do to enable the transition.

We also realize how important amazon is to monetization. So, we are pulling in all the amazon product modules initially.  There may be a reduction in certain types of listings, but we are still working through all the details on exactly how the content will be imported.

1. profile image0

thanks for that reply Paul

2. pkmcruk profile image68

Thank you Paul and really appreciate the response. I am sure you will appreciate that the announcement was from "left field" for many of us so trying to get a level of understanding and protect our income earning properties is paramount.

But it's really obvious that the team here are being incredibly responsive and helpful and that's very reassuring.

3. sockii profile image71

I do appreciate the comment and my questions were specifically regarding issues, like the debate modules (you called them duels, whatever), which I didn't see an answer to in the FAQ.

I am hopeful to see my transferred content preserved as best as possible but doing everything I can to back them up myself as well.

I assume that, even if we agreed to the transfer, if we delete lenses before the 22nd that they WON'T be automatically transferred? Because I have some lenses I prefer to manually import into my older hubpages account instead of for a new one. And others I plan on republishing on my own websites, not Hubpages.

4. bettyshares profile image61
        bettysharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the explanation, that is helpful.

5. Elsie Hagley profile image70
        Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul for your help. I understand much better now.
        Will do all I can to make sure they are up to Hubpages requirements.

Looking forward to going ahead and seeing my pages at Squidoo all here.
        Elsie

6. Linda BookLady profile image80

Will the text descriptions we wrote in Amazon modules be included when they are transferred to HubPages capsules?

We are working on preserving the text in Amazon capsules. There is a difference in their max characters vs ours and some other minor differences, but I think we will be able to preserve it as well as the vast majority of other text content.

That said we won't migrate every capsule like RSS and Plexo.  Although, we are working on solutions for many capsules.

We will work on a FAQ entry with more details on what will transfer.

Thanks, Paul.  Is there any way to avoid having two user profiles here on Hubpages?  I really like the one I'm using right now ("goatfury"), and I'd prefer not to have to manage two separate accounts.  If I did the automatic transfer from Squidoo over to Hubpages and created a second Hubpages profile, would there be any way to merge the two accounts at a later date, as opposed to building a brand new second network from scratch?

Thanks so much for answering.

Thank you! The hospitality here on HubPages, and your dedication to trying to make this work well for us, are very much appreciated.

7. Valerie Bloom profile image88

Thank you, Paul. As you can see, a lot of lensmasters are worried. We don't know what to expect and are overwhelmed at the possibility of losing some or all of our work. It's helpful to know that there will be a reasonable transition period because it may well take hours and hours of time to update our lenses to hubs.

Do you know if HubPages is going to adopt any of Squidoo's look/feel/modules/options, or will the Hub formatting remain the same, simply incorporating text and other content from Squidoo lenses?

Thanks again! I really appreciate you helping us through this transition!

1. Susana S profile image91
          Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can't speak for Paul, but I know Hubpages likes a clean, minimalist look across the whole site so I doubt any of Squidoo's style options will be available here. We don't have the ability to edit html either, so there's no work around.

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

We will definitely adopt a few things.

We are starting a FAQ for how things will look after transfer.

The three most frequent questions have been.

- Can we merge hubpages and squidoo accounts?

- What will happen to content that violates HubPages rules (especially around amazon)?

- What will happen to modules that don't have an analogous capsule on HubPages

The first two are in the FAQ. The last one will get added.

http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Try the learning center at http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

Actually, I have forgotten but HP did make changes about how many products we can show.  They are not as liberal as Squidoo was. 

However, when you publish, your Hub may sit for a bit and reviewed first.

After your hubs are published, keep an eye on them and go to your account and watch symbols for hubs.  Good news is that you can fix issues without having your hub locked like they did on Squidoo.

13. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

Hi Paul: Out of curiosity, was the decision to hire 7 editors in anticipation of the merger, or are they unrelated.

Will the new Squidoo folks be getting equal editing time or more or less?

Didn't it say that for HubPro the editors would be working in order from most-trafficked on down?  That sounds like regardless of origin, they are editing based on most visitors/readers.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is what I was thinking too - that my hubs just moved further down the list.

14. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

@sockii

We will post more details on exactly how the modules will translate.  The vast majority of modules used translate pretty cleanly.

We built a holder for callouts (more details to come) because they were heavily used, but we didn't have the equivalent capsule on HubPages.

I'd suggest using the transfer option we are providing if you're interested in preserving traffic. 

Yes, if you delete content it won't be transfered.  Or if you unpublish it, will be brought over, but unpublished on HubPages (so it's preserved if you want to do something with it later).

@relache and @Solaras The HubPro decision was totally separate from this.  Acquiring the Squidoo assets wasn't on our radar when we started planning HubPro.  We will slot Squidoo Lenses in as they would fall naturally - a combination of traffic and how badly we determine that they need editing. 

Off to my daughter's soccer game, but I'll be checking in frequently:)

Hi Paul,

I appreciate the feedback. Honestly I've been very impressed with Hubpages so far, especially in regards to the responsiveness here to user questions. It's really a breath of fresh air and very reassuring during this transition time!

I'm only deleting from my Squidoo account lenses I either prefer to move to my own niche sites now, or to my already established HP account. Many of these were new-this-year lenses that didn't have much of any link juice yet and I'd rather tweak them now while I can. Also the ones I previously moved to my other account have done so much better here on Hubpages than they ever did on Squidoo, so I just want to keep certain content topics together.

Thank you for the reply!

3. Brite-Ideas profile image95

Hi there;

Appreciate the question answer format on this thread. Thank you.

How will Hub handle people who have used their own Amazon Affiliate link multiple times in text boxes on a Squidoo Lens. Many of us have done this either for a photo and/or in the text box itself to reference the photo. Our affiliate link allowance at Squidoo for Amazon (whether Squidoo's or our own is 20). Will these links still be allowed to work until we're given time to rework our pages. Many of us, including myself have 100's and 100's of pages to modify, and many of my own pages are structured this way - personally speaking I have nearly 600 pages and of course some others have even more.

We are still looking into this. If Amazon links were placed in the equivalent of a text capsules they will translate. Amazon links in some of the places we don't have analogous capsules for may not. We will post more info soon. Today we posted an update to the FAQ with some info on how we plan to migrate lenses. http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq

thanks for the response, appreciate  that - the number of links will be up to 20 on some lenses right off the get-go, so that's good to know.

15. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

@Sue Adams We've been looking at the capsules like the video on squidoo and we are working on plans to preserve text. It may be slightly different, but we are trying to keep all the information we can.

We will work on the FAQ to answer questions on how we will handle the data migration and layout.

Thank you again for all the information and reassurance!

Paul, the ideal solution would be to modify the existing HubPages video capsule to allow some explanatory text.   I've often been in situations where that would've been a very handy thing to have, but have never got around to suggesting it.

16. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Lot of unhappy campers on the Squidoo blog. Hopefully they will eventually see the light.

Haven't been to my Squidoo account in months. Amazingly, my one and only Lens over there is actually featured. Averages about one visitor a week it does. No doubt HP is trembling in anticipation of the acquisition of this masterpiece. big_smile

If a site you put years of hard work into and was earning you good money every month suddenly was sold and you only got a week's notice to decide what to do with all of your work, I think you'd be pretty upset, too. It's not so much about "seeing the light", it's about facing an unknown of

1) learning an entirely new platform - whether you decide it's actually better in the long run for your work or not
      2) wondering how much of your content will really work on that new platform or need to be completely rewritten (or simply deleted)
      3) worrying about data loss in the transfer (despite whatever assurances there may be otherwise)

You had one lens, you say, that maybe got 1 view a week. I had at one point 250 lenses and was getting about 6,500 views a week. That's a bit of a substantial number, and time investment. And reason for being anxious and a bit upset right now.

I personally am more or less positive about Hubpages and had been moving to it already - even if I know I'll have a LOT of work on at least half my portfolio to make it work here at all. But keep in mind that there were those who left Hubpages FOR Squidoo, and were doing better there, and may not be too keen to have their content forced back on a site they weren't happy with for whatever reason.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86

I feel for you.  It has to be somewhat like going through a loss where you feel different emotions, especially with your time period.  I just noticed that there is a public group on Facebook made for those coming from Squidoo to HP.  It is made to help with the transition, it looks very helpful and doesn't appear to be a complaint group.  It's called Lens to Hub Help.  It's great to see the help pouring into the HP forums also.

Yes, the Facebook group is an excellent resource for transitioning:
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/1455110431424511/

2. kislanyk profile image69
        kislanykposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are absolutely right. I have around 300 lenses and at some point I had 60,000 visitors per week from my featured lenses overall.I worked hard over the years, but I made a full time income at Squidoo and I was quite proud of it. Lately not so much, but I still get overall around 10,000 to my lenses per week and I can still live off from my earnings, while also working on my own blog to generate additional income. Of course the extra earnings from tiers helped as well.

I have put tons of time and effort in making my lenses as successful as they have become and I really loved it there. Like I said, it was my full time 'work' so to speak, so having the proverbial rug pulled out from under our feet almost over night makes me - along with everyone else who dedicated their time and effort on their lenses - quite anxious and extremely worried about our future.

And having to change 300 lenses to conform to a new platform that I know almost nothing about - well, it's not easy, and that is a major understatement.

Having said that, I am grateful to the help from Hubpages staff in all this. I also want to thank every hubber who is positive towards us and embraces us with open arms. Every major change is difficult (and for us Squidooers, this is a huge change - a life altering change in fact - so thank you for making it easier for us to adjust and learn.

And thank you Hubpages staff for giving us that grace period where we can more or less fix our many numbers of transitioned hubs to the new format. I expect there will be a lot of work to be done in the near future smile

2. pkmcruk profile image68

Like many others I have lenses which attract many visitors per day and which make substantial sales on a daily basis. Those lenses I would hope will be a good addition to the site.

Thank you to all those here who have extended a warm and friendly welcome to those who are coming to HubPages for the first time. It's good to see how receptive, open and engaging the staff and many existing hubbers have been.

17. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, I just made a post about HubPages over on Squidoo. Hopefully if will cheer up the doomsayers.

Hi PS - I started a forum for us to give new Hubbers transferring over from Squidoo a heads up on things like Hubber Pro and Editors Choice, which they may not see in the ongoing onslaught of new HP rules etc... Anything you want to add as a best practice for them is much appreciated.

We can't expect them to read all our Learning Center and prep for the move in one week.

2. Valerie Bloom profile image88

Link, please! And thanks in advance for the info!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Basically, all it said was,

"...Do give HubPages a chance. You might be very pleasantly surprised when you see your earnings."

Nobody over there flamed me for it, so I guess it was taken in the spirit in which it was intended. big_smile

Hi Valerie here is the link ask questions and we will try to answer them! http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123863

Thanks! This will be really helpful. When I was first learning how to use a writing platform, I could just go at my own pace and learn on a natural curve. This is different because I have a lot of articles (that I'm very proud of!) that have to come into compliance quickly. It's good to know you have this resource for people who are already accomplished online article writers who just need to jump in and understand the technical aspects and rules over here!

18. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image82
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 years ago

I agree with Marisa Wright. It is the content which matters. Personal blogs are a way to jettison any type of risk on internet.

19. Paula Atwell profile image69
    Paula Atwellposted 9 years ago

Hi Paul,
    I tried to post this yesterday, but I guess it didn't let me. My question in addition to those already asked is about links in the text. Squidoo allowed affiliate links including Amazon affiliate links in text, and I think that many of us have those. What is going to happen with those. If I remember correctly those are not allowed on Hubpages.

20. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

@Paula Atwell (I like your first name:))

So we do allow Amazon links in the text capsules and even support it in our link formatting option in the capsule that makes it easy to select items.  I think these will translate pretty straight forward.

There are some places that Squidoo allowed HTML that won't translate as cleanly.

Next week we will post more in the FAQ on how specific modules from Squidoo will translate to HubPages.

At a very high level, we are mapping the equivalent capsules (although we support different formatting options).  These are fairly straight forward.

We will add what Lens modules will be supported next week to the FAQ.

For some heavily used modules like "call outs," we are building some basic support.

For some things that were really well optimized like Amazon, we are seeing what we can make available to all Hubbers.

For some modules like RSS and Plexo we know we won't support.

For places that have structured data, we are trying to preserve what we can.  What I keep calling "Duels" is the side by side debate module is one we are looking at different options to support.

Can I just say thank you Paul for the level of responsiveness and support - it's really appreciated

Agreed! I'm liking that a LOT. What a breath of fresh air.

1. profile image0

I agree,  and I am very happy about it.

2. KathyMcGraw2 profile image69
          KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Amen to this!

Hear, hear!

And thanks for the heads up about Plexos - I have some lenses that used them for text and link lists, so I may try to edit those now into basic lists/link lists so that they transfer better.

Can I ask one more question? smile Do you know if poll data will transfer over (not just the questions, but the breakdown of responses?) Just because I have a few polls with thousands of responses over the years, and I'd hate to lose that data...I may just have to make sure it's all saved in advance.

2. SusannaDuffy profile image80
      SusannaDuffyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Looking forward to next week's FAQ!

Thanks for your quick response and clear message. I'm not used to much of that on Squidoo

1. kislanyk profile image69

Hear hear Susanna, I am surprised (in a good way) of the great response to our queries. A breath of fresh air.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86

I like the look of the call out modules.  Will this be an added module for all hubbers?

We are going to just support importing them and some basic functions for lensmasters in the hubtool.  We don't plan to make them available site wide at this time, but this has been a subject of some debate.

We will have more data on them once we have them imported and then we can make the decision for the entire site.

There are tradeoffs in highly stylized capsules and future design changes, so we want to be sure we take our time on this one. 

Glad to hear you like them!

1. rebekahELLE profile image86

Yes, I do!  I had to take a look at their site to see exactly what they look like.  They present well, and I would use them!  big_smile  I appreciate that you're taking time to assess what will work best for the site overall.  It's great to see how you and the staff are responding to all concerns.  Thanks!

2. WannaB Writer profile image87
          WannaB Writerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wish I'd known that sooner. I still have some I couldn't change, hoping you'd find some way to keep them there. Others I reworked at Quozio and Shareasimage to keep the same effect, deleting the callout module and replaced it with the new image in a photo module.

4. HomeArtist profile image61

Fabulous support and oh-so-timely. Not at all what we're used to.
      Thanks so much!

21. Paula Atwell profile image69

@Paul Edmonson, thanks for the reply. I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "call outs".

I believe that's what we're used to on Squidoo as the "Sticky notes" and other small text modules with fancy formatting.

2. WannaB Writer profile image87
      WannaB Writerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Callouts are a combination of what were originally called black boxes, sticky notes, "The Most Important thing," and a few other choices that used to be separate options and then were united into the call-out module where you could then choose which you wanted to use. I used a lot of these, but changed many of them to photos made on Quozio or shareasimage in the final edit before transfer. Maybe I just should have waited and had more trust. I copied part of my duels to post as polls if they didn't transfer.

22. Linda BookLady profile image80
    Linda BookLadyposted 9 years ago

Will you automatically eliminate all CSS upon transfer (meaning, CSS we may have added to our lenses a while back before it was discouraged) or should we try to remove the CSS before the transfer?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Yes, CSS will automatically be eliminated.

Thanks, that's good news!

23. profile image0
    Jason Sositkoposted 9 years ago

I was under the impression that most CSS was already removed a few weeks ago on Squidoo, presumably in preparation for this move?

The CSS is still there on some older Squidoo lenses; you just can't see any effect from it anymore.

24. Dale Hyde profile image81
    Dale Hydeposted 9 years ago

Many Squidoo members are speculating on other sites that I visit.  I am wondering if all Squidoo members have been emailed the links to the official HubPages forum posts and guidelines that will effect them?  There seems to be a lot of questions out there.

If this has not happened, I would suggest that HP staff get with Squidoo staff and get the emails to send this info out to their inbox to help clarify things.

1. KathyMcGraw2 profile image69

No we never got any email....not even one with the info that the site was closing.  Just think of all those people on vacation, or who haven't been to their dashboard.  They'll get quite the shock.

Yes, emailing everyone would have been, and still could be a great help.

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
        Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully our Team here will pick up on this request and make it happen.

2. kislanyk profile image69

Indeed, we didn't get any email on this major piece of news. I learned about it from one of the many Facebook groups I frequent - some people were discussing it and I took notice. Then I went over to the HQ forum and I saw the news.

3. lisavollrath profile image94

FYI, I got an email from Squidoo this morning, so your request might have been heard.

I got mine yesterday smile

No email here, not even in spam. I feel so left out.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
              Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The email message I received for my Squidoo account came about 20 hours ago, yesterday around 4pm PT and was sent by squidteam@squidoo.com

2. Chazz S profile image61
              Chazz Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you - not a word from squidoo (lower case "s" intentional) yet.

2. HomeArtist profile image61

There have been no formal communication efforts from Squidoo HQ.
      We have very superficial direction and links that don't--or didn't-- work. hmm

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
        Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Let us hope that the new place, HubPages, will correct this lack of communication.

25. Ladymermaid profile image84
    Ladymermaidposted 9 years ago

Thank you so very much for this information. It was very worrisome not knowing what was going to become of our articles.

2 Questions on affiliate settings that I was unable to find answers for.

1. Do we need to have our own adsense account if we are using hubpages affiliate program?

2. Do we have to fill out adsense analytics or can things be tracked by hubpages when we use their affiliate settings?

Hi LadyMermaid,

(luv2help, here)

I sent an email with similar concerns and will share it with you when I receive a reply. But I did find an answer about you must have an Adsense account to use their HubPages Earnings Program (HEP).

Can anyone expound on this?

I'm spinning with all the newfound info. smile

When you use Hubpages Affiliate for Amazon, it tracks all your sales that go to you, and you earn 8% on the sales.  HP takes 40% and you get 60% of your sales.  Was that your question?

You can also set up Google Analytics for your HP account to get more in depth info.  Each hub has its own stats section as well

1. bettyshares profile image61

What if a person doesn't have an adsense account? Can we still earn from Hubpages?

You will need an Adsense account, but if you have 20+ hubs, you should get one pretty quickly.

Okay, that is a game changer. Thanks for the quick response.

Just a rider to that, Bettyshares.   If your writing is good quality, you'll have no problem at all getting an Adsense account, but getting past the first hurdle can still be tricky.     Adsense is looking for two things - a reasonable body of work AND a sign that you haven't just created that work to qualify, which you'll then abandon.  So if you apply on Day 1, when the Hubs are brand new, they may not accept you.

When new Hubbers join, we usually tell them, "wait to apply until you have 20 or 30 Hubs and have been here at least a month" - and we tell them brand new Hubs won't earn much in that first month anyway, so they're not really losing anything.  However in your case you've got the 301 redirects which should mean instant traffic, so it will be frustrating if Adsense makes you wait.  So I hope I'm wrong!!

Hi Marisa:  I understood from another forum that their articles going through the automated process would transfer with their first published dates.  So those who go with the automatic transfer will be good.  Those doing a manual transfer will be starting with a new date, the date they publish their article on HP.

Edit: It's farther down on here.  I can't keep track of all the forums on this topic lol.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

In order to participate in the HubPages Earnings Program, which consists of the Ad Program, the Amazon Program, and the eBay Program, you must have an AdSense account.  It's super easy to sign up for AdSense through HubPages as long as you have some published hubs, and we are looking into how we can make it even easier for Squidoo converts during the transition.

If you have your own Amazon Associates account or want one, you can  earn directly from Amazon without signing up for AdSense by following the instructions here.  Unfortunately, that's the only way to earn on HubPages without AdSense.

Can they apply now with their Squidoo accounts, so that they are ready to roll, or is that too risky with the impending transfer?

HEP itself is just a payment mechanism and only requires a PayPal address and tax form to set up. So yes, this can be done before the transfer! The actual earnings programs (Ad, eBay, and Amazon) require at least one published Hub to apply.

Here's a detailed explanation of how HEP works and what you need to sign up: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubp … am-and-ads

and here is a brief list of requirements for each HEP-supported earnings program: http://hubpages.com/faq/#hep-requirements

2. bettyshares profile image61

Thanks Pauldeeds that is a good idea, I like that we can use our Amazon affiliate.

3. Lady Lorelei profile image85
              Lady Loreleiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What happens if we are not eligible for an adsense account?

If you want to earn from the HubPages Ad program you do.  There is good money to be had there for pageviews. It's easy to apply and take 2-3 days for Google to respond with a thumbs up or down.

After the transfer, I would just apply again and see what happens.

3. relache profile image71

Then the only thing you could earn from here would be by using a stand-alone Amazon account.  In short, you'd be shut out of nearly all the revenue streams.

The same holds true for people who can't use PayPal.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60

If you don't have Adsense then you earn from sales only.

Linda, personally I'd say that if someone can't get an Adsense account for some reason, there is no point in them writing on HubPages.   Without Adsense, the earning opportunities are just too limited.

Having said that, for those who don't have an account now, but who are eligible to get one - it is definitely worth getting an Adsense account, because once you have it, you have an array of different earning opportunities.   For some people, it will take a few months to get accepted, but it is worth it in the end.

I agree, but on the other hand using our own blogs, unless we get Adsense, sales is our earnings. Of course there are sites where writer does not need adsense.

Yes, but on your own blogs, you're not limited in how many affilitae links or  Amazon products you can feature, so you can compensate for the lack of other advertising more easily.   On HubPages, the restrictions on number of links and capsules means you don't have enough leeway to compensate for not earning from the HP Earnings Program.

Okay, thanks sockii

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
      LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

What are call out modules???

It was an option where a writer could put helpful notes--much like you would
        use a sticky note on a bulletin board.

4. BritFlorida profile image71
      BritFloridaposted 9 years ago

I'm a Squidoo writer who is truly looking forward to this. I'm keeping my fingers well crossed though because with almost 600 Squidoo articles, I hope the transfer goes smoothly. (I have about a dozen to delete pre-transfer).

I love Squidoo but something I particularly like about Hubpages is the super-minimal design.

I have just two questions if anyone could be kind enough to let me know.

1.As an old-time coder, I've used basic HTML in my lenses - just bold, italics, links, special characters and so on. Will these simply be stripped out or will the raw code show? I have no problem editing post-transfer but I can edit on Squidoo now if there's a problem.

2. Unlike many Squidoo writers, I love the review format. I have many of these and several, which sell high-ticket items, have done very well financially. But they have only about 500 words. Will they transfer OK? Again, I have no problem with editing them after the transfer (as long as they do transfer!)

This is a lovely topic and already I feel welcome here. Lovely to see so many 'old faces' too. I really look forward to getting to know this new community.

Brit: The edit button on each hub works much like word for bolding etc. You also have an edit button for each section as well.  You  don't need to use HTML here.

1. BritFlorida profile image71
          BritFloridaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Linda. (I remember having some good conversations with you at the Squidoo forum ages ago)

Glad to see you've apparently changed your mind about HubPages being just for "huge pages that seem to go on forever about serious (or seriously weirdly serious) stuff" and are willing to give the platform a chance.

3. Linda Pogue profile image57
        Linda Pogueposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Edit mode allows you to use HTML. Just click HTML in the top left corner of the window.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60

No adsense account then all of your earnings are from sales.

1. Lady Lorelei profile image85

Deleted

Loreil,
          I would wait and see what they say about this.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Yes, I remember you Brit!!!  I was stopped from posting in forum because I didn't do the Happy Dance!

A lot of good people were banned from the forums over on Squidoo for not being sufficient in the "positivity" department. It's another thing I like here about HubPages, it seems like all points of view are much more welcome and we don't all have to be cheerleaders in order to participate in discussions. smile

7. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I forgot to add, try using the Google URL removal tool and then do what Marissa said. What I do is copy part of the article and put it in my browser.  Sometimes the URL may be gone, but articles are in google cached pages.

8. profile image0
      Prosperity66posted 9 years ago

Hi there smile

Are there any news as to how long the "grace period" is going to last?

I don't have that  many lenses that will transfer since I deleted 3/4 of my account and will repost some lenses to my native account (this one) where they fit as they're my tarot card pages.

But I have some lenses with left money on them and didn't want to forfeit all owned earnings... However I'm not sure they'll fit within the HubPage layout and rules.

So the earlier we're aware of the time left before having them probably flagged or unpublished, the better.

Halloween season is almost on and it's not the best time of the year for doing such a big transfer...

Thanks for any reply smile
      Dom.

the time frame, or grace period, is also a huge concern I have, many of us have 100's and 100's of pages and edits are going to take quite a bit of time for some of us.  Also, deciding how to structure a page prior to rewrites will consume a lot of time.

2. fanfreluche profile image77
        fanfrelucheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Also looking forward to an estimate on the grace period. We are in the middle of a move (and summer vacations and soon to be back to school)...although many of my lenses will fit well with little change, I have some good ones (that I want to keep) that will need some changes.

This is my old account by the way, had to create another for the squidoo lenses, since we cannot add our lenses to an existing hub account.

Tentatively, we are going to set the grace period at 4 months for most violations we expect to see, e.g., too many products relative to word count. You can see a list of all the automated warnings and manual flag types in the Learning Center. The majority of these will be given the 4-month grace period.

More egregious violations, e.g., spun or other types of auto-generated content, will not be covered by the grace period.

Hubs with ad safety issues will also not be covered by the grace period. However, these Hubs usually remain published with ads disabled.

The important thing to note about the grace period is that once a Hub is edited, the grace period ends and it will be held to the same publishing rules as all other Hubs. The grace period is granted at the Hub level, so even if you edit one Hub, it will still apply to your other Hubs.

1. fanfreluche profile image77
            fanfrelucheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the quick response! That is good to know, the grace period is generous enough and will allow most of us enought time to tweak and work on our lenshubs.

1. profile image0

Great news! Thanks a bunch.

This is good to know, thanks for the grace period, because many of us squid writers are going to need that time to make a smooth transition as well as learn the ropes of a new site.

Wait I am confused!

So, we have a 4 month grace period to come into compliance, but if we edit even 1 hub then that grace period is no longer valid?

Or is it that if we have a hub with too many products for word count it is safe for 4 months unless we edit it, then it loses the grace period.

Is this loss of grace for one, or all if we edit anything.  If it is all then what is the incentive to edit?

Someone with 300, 600, 800 lenses cannot possibly get to all of them in one day.

I was confused on that point too, but on re-reading what he said, it appears that all other lenses will keep their grace period unless we've tried to edit and re-publish them.

He wrote:  'The grace period is granted at the Hub level, so even if you edit one Hub, it [the grace period] will still apply to your other Hubs'

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image77

If you edit just one Hub, the grace period is no longer valid for that Hub. All of your other Hubs (assuming you didn't edit them) will still have the grace period.

Our thinking here is that, if you're already about to edit your Hub, it is prudent to take care of any violations on that Hub while you're at it! At the same time, we realize that you may not want to edit all 300 Hubs in the same day, which is why the grace period will still be extend to the rest of your Hubs.

Let me know if this does not answer your question! smile

Thank you, now the question is what if we really didn't want to edit a hub yet, but in the transfer stuff got messed up?

What if we have to go take out code, or whatever and spend time doing that but don't have time to really go and "edit" like adding text per product, or whatever.

The first few weeks there just might be extra work that has nothing to do with how our lenses looked before the transfer.  I mean....things happen.  So, how about a grace period before the grace period smile

1. Paula Atwell profile image69

I think you will have to just edit one at a time Kathy, because it would be too difficult for their filters to know what you did and why.

2. lisavollrath profile image94

What I'm taking away from this is that I shouldn't hit that edit button on a transferred lens until I'm ready to do all the work required to bring it into compliance.

Yes, that is, indeed, the best course of action.

3. Lady Lorelei profile image85

What is really frightening me is what will happen if our articles have been plagiarized by someone else. I have filed hundreds of DMCA notices during my time with Squidoo but there are some copies that I have been unable to remove.

I think most online writers have found their best work stolen at one point or another. It has been a real issue in the past. It still is but seems to be slowing down a little thank God.

It is my biggest fear that I will lose my work to one of these thieves as things are transitioning on the web.

I have just asked the same question!

Lorelei,
              In all my years with Squidoo....if I was to do a name recognition exercise, I would take your name and put it with the name DMCA.   You get hit all the time, and everything I know about this, I learned from you smile

My understanding is Hub Pages is better than Squidoo about letting us prove it is our work, and someone else stole it.  At least that is what I read smile

1. Lady Lorelei profile image85

I so hope so. I have fought hard but it has been an endless battle. I hate to see a thief be rewarded for their disreputable activity.

2. SandyMertens profile image75
                SandyMertensposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have had this happen on Squidoo. They unpublish it with no answers to my email. Published it on HubPages and they gave me the link of where it had been stolen to. I filled out the DMCA complaint and the hub is on here.

Sandy,
                  That is good to know.  It validates what I heard and is very encouraging.

3. Marina Lazarevic profile image77

We are going to preserve the "first published date" data from Squidoo for all transferred lenses. Our duplicate checker uses the first published date to determine whether it thinks a Hub is copied or not. This is another reason to opt in to the automated transfer rather than move articles manually. If you move an article over manually, the first published date will be the day it was moved, and our duplicate checker may think your new Hub is a copy of the plagiarized article. By the way, if this happens to anyone, please email us at team@ hubpages.com and we will help you straighten it out!

Marina - Thank you - that's the best piece of news I have read today :-)

2. profile image0
                Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much as this was an issue of deep concern. I keep filing DMCA notices on these characters but some just do not take a hint.

3. KathyMcGraw2 profile image69

I took a screenshot of all the first published dates of my lenses.  I am in the process of moving one manually just so I have something in my blatantly empty account here.  Would I be able to use my own screenshot of this, if and or when there was a problem?

I do believe what you say about better to just let them come over in the transfer, but I hate having nothing here in the meantime smile

4. Margaret Schindel profile image95

Marina, that's absolutely terrific news! Good for Squidoo "ex-pats" and good for HubPages. Thanks for letting us know.

5. profile image0

I used this service and state that it's one-of-a-kind. I never got such a quick reply nor such a quick fix!

6. Brite-Ideas profile image95

glad about this, thank you

7. Arachnea profile image66
                Arachneaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great info to know. Thank you.

8. Charlino99 profile image79

Thank you.

9. SandyMertens profile image75
                SandyMertensposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Then the transferring process is much better then adding the article later.

4. Brite-Ideas profile image95

absolutely a concern I have as well, a big one.

5. Charlino99 profile image79

I have had that question for a long time.  Good people seem to get trampled on by thieves, and I have a lot of road tread on my back.     It would really bother me to learn that after all the time and effort,  my work would not pass the test because someone else stole it.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think 4 months is a good idea. It has the definite appearance of taking Google's goodwill for granted. That could be extremely unwise; nobody likes to be taken for granted. And Google has a long memory...

5. Chazz S profile image61

This is good news! After having only 4 days to deal with 200+ lenses on the cephalopod, it will be pleasure to deal with the 100+ I will have left over 4 months. Thank you.

6. NateB11 profile image88

Good news, good to know. It's good to know that great care and consideration is being given during this transition.

9. chateaudumer profile image84
      chateaudumerposted 9 years ago

What will be the criteria for the phrase KEY CONTENT from Squidoo. Will my lens be transferred if it only ranked in the 35,000

That's answered here,

http://hq.squidoo.com/hp-faq/

Thank you, very informative and useful!

10. Paula Atwell profile image69

Another question:
      Two affiliates are used quite a bit on Squidoo by many lensmasters. Those are Allposters and Zazzle. At one point Squidoo and Zazzle hooked up and lots of Zazzlers created lenses to drive business to their stores.

What will happen to these type of hubs once the grace period is over? Is this type of content going to fit on Hubpages?

One problem you'll have is that you're allowed only TWO links to the same domain in a Hub.   So if you've got a Hub featuring a lot of Zazzle products, it won't be allowed - you'll have to cut the links down to two.

1. Wednesday-Elf profile image81
          Wednesday-Elfposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Regarding the two links to one domain, does that apply to links to Etsy products?  I've written several Squidoo lenses where I feature handmade items from crafters on Etsy (including some of mine). Is Etsy considered a 'domain' as Zazzle is?  Thanks.

Just thought of a second question in this regard.  Some of above mentioned 'lenses' featuring Etsy wouldn't make a lot of sense with only two links. If these lenses won't work on HubPages, can I later delete the 'former-lens-now-Hub' and use it elsewhere at a later date?  In other words, can we delete a Hub after the transfer if we see it's not going to work? Appreciate your advice and help.

After the grace period, etsy will be treated like any other domain

You can definitely delete a Hub and/or rework it after the transfer.  We hope folks do.  Our import won't be perfect, but we are trying to make it as good as possible.

1. Wednesday-Elf profile image81
              Wednesday-Elfposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much, Paul.

Okay, so this will be the same for any affiliate that we have on our lenses. AllPosters, Zazzle and Etsy etc.etc. Giving us the 4 months to move or alter them is great. That is a realistic amount of time. I also have so many other articles pointing to my lenses that need to be changed over. Major work entailed.

3. Brite-Ideas profile image95

we are wondering if this would also apply to our own amazon affiliate links (counting as 2 for a domain) - many of us use a product in a text box and link to it on our amazon account, can we still do that with a 2 maximum?

11. evelynsaenz profile image69
      evelynsaenzposted 9 years ago

I am wondering the same thing and would like to follow this thread for answers.

I'm thinking that if they strip out HTML we've added, then some affiliate links will just disappear. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm going to save all my lenses to Evernote... that's my main task for this week.

1. Vikk Simmons profile image72
          Vikk Simmonsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda, what do you mean when you say you are saving to Evernote? Does that save the entire lens so you can do something with the content later?

I open a new page on Evernote and then copy-and-paste the entire lens into it. Everything should show except videos. You might want to note what videos you used at the top of the page. It will look messy but will save all your text and images just fine so you can refer back to them later in case something got lost.

Also you could just save each page to your hard drive...

2. Titia profile image92
            Titiaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've saved all my lenses as webpages, very easy in FF. Don't know Evernote. Will it still be there if the original lens is gone?

Yes, it will still be there. But saving to your hard drive is good too and it should preserve the page in the original format.

OTOH... I just tried saving a page to my hard drive and when I re-opened the saved page, it was illegible. You might want to look at your saved pages to see if it worked for you.

I will still save mine to Evernote!

While tools like Evernote will let you archive your content offline for later use, it is likely to not be what you want as far as formatting goes.

Keep in mind that you can also print a web page to a PDF, view the page source for a Hub and save the text in a text editor, or right click and "Save Page As".  All three of these options will save a local offline file of your content.

UPDATE: See Sue's response below as well.
                http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2622143

Matthew, are you referring to the Evernote web clipper feature and, if so, why would it not be what we want re: formatting? Thanks.

Yes, the Web clipper.

I'm a big Evernote user and was just making a point that Evernote will save the content for you, but that it is not in a format that you will easily be able to copy, format, and import into a Hub without needing to manually adjust the layout and formatting.
                    For example, text header <H1> and such may not transfer properly.
                    In many cases, it is good to also save a text only version or to save the HTML from the Hub itself.
                    I hope that is helpful.

Thanks very much, Matthew - that's very helpful!

12. Paula Atwell profile image69

Linda, they are stripping out CSS, not necessarily all HTML. Paul E. already said that they are allowing links.

13. Brite-Ideas profile image95
      Brite-Ideasposted 9 years ago

Linda, that's what I'm thinking too - html stripped out pretty much kills many pages for me

14. Little two two profile image84
      Little two twoposted 9 years ago

Most of my articles on squidoo do all right, nothing to write home about and I suspect many of the lenses will not transfer well to hubpages (example: a few of my articles are culture cuisine based and have more than one recipe in it, but I can only use one recipe module a hub).

I would like to save the articles still and rework them to make them work with hubpages. Since they are being, for the most part, reworked and worded, can I safely move them over to my existing HP account and publish without the duplicate warning?

I have downloaded the lens already to my computer and want to start on manually entering them into my existing account (not a second one) ... but am unsure about duplicate content and how long to wait for links to disappear. I don't want my new hubs locked or something for duplicate content.

Thank you.

I suggest reading over Paul Deeds' response to a similar question in another thread. smile

15. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
      Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years ago

We just published three new answers in the Lensmasters section of the FAQ:

-Which Modules will not be supported on HubPages?
      -How will HubPages handle Modules that do not easily translate to Capsules?
      -What is HubPages' policy on Amazon products and how will it be enforced on Lensmasters?

Be on the lookout for the conspicuous red text that reads: "Please keep in mind that many of these decisions are still TBD and may change. We will be update you regularly with the latest information we have."

Most of these TBD decisions are in relation to the formatting details, not whether or not we will preserve the data from a given Module. We hope that these answers give you some idea about how we plan to treat various Modules post-import, even if some of the decisions aren't finalized. I'll add the date of the most recent update at the bottom of each FAQ entry.

Thanks for being so engaged and proactive!

It's looking good to me. I have one question about the transfer of the Amazon modules and the formatting of those Amazon ads. In the updated FAQ it says "HubPages will link the entire product area" in terms of those Amazon ads. Can you tell me what that means? I don't understand.

This just means the area that is clickable in the Amazon module.  Today we only link the title and image, in the updated formatting, we will have parity with Squidoo's module in terms of the clickable area.

Okay, I think I get it now. Thanks, Paul.

Paul, what is going to happen to the text that is part of the Amazon (and other) modules directly under the title/subtitle before the products? Lots of description text there.

2. Chazz S profile image61

Thank you for some very helpful info. I am concerned about quiz modules and have not found any references to those in this forum. I have a couple of lenses that are quiz-centric (about 100 questions) and I am wondering what will become of those.

3. Paula Atwell profile image69

Marina, these are helpful, but don't answer the questions that I have about Allposters and Zazzle. Can we get an official decision on these? It affects a large number of lensmasters

16. Sue Adams profile image96
      Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

@Little two two,

You can download entire websites / sub-domains easily with a free program:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9187386_f248.jpg

From
      http://www.httrack.com/

First you have to download HTTrack Website Copier. Then type in the URL of your sub-domain and it will download all your content to your computer so you can work on your articles offline.

I would also keep an original copy to refer back to once the lenses have metamorphosed themselves into hubs automatically.

1. Chazz S profile image61

I think this is pretty much what FF allows you to do but I did not see a mac-compatible download on the HTT site to compare them.

1. WebMarketingPro profile image40
          WebMarketingProposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have a Mac, and  use FF to download my web pages, and I also use a FF plugin/add-on (?) called Scrapbook that saves it in my browser and lets me open the old page online.  Note that it's a good idea to open a new FF window before you click on a saved page because it will otherwise cover up your last used window...

17. Little two two profile image84
      Little two twoposted 9 years ago

Thank you for the links and responses ... quite helpful. smile

18. paradigmsearch profile image60

http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/IMAGES/squid_home_rev.gif
      Squids can obviously type more quickly and more accurately than the rest of us. This is obviously an unfair advantage. Will HP be providing a voice-to-text app anytime soon?

1. Nell Rose profile image90
        Nell Roseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Squids get in a muddle with those longgggg fingers para! but there is one thing! they don't run out of ink! er....or is that an octopus...um, have to go look it up!

19. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I just read an interesting article.  Seth is on the board of the charity that will get the monies from those who did not get paid by Squidoo.  Oh well, if he is pulling a fast one, Karma will get him sooner or later.

Seth Godin was involved with Acumen Fund before he started Squidoo, and part of why Squidoo was founded was to raise money for charities.  Squidoo has been donating to the Acumen Fund for years, and has been completely transparent about it.

Any Squidoo writer who has ever wanted to just donate their earnings and not wanted to specify a charity has had their money pooled to the Acumen Fund.  This has been a key feature of Squidoo for the last eight years, and was right there on the payment settings page of every single site user.  Which if I'm not mistaken includes you.

1. poetvix profile image55
          poetvixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm confused.  I'm looking at the payment settings page right now because I thought it said "The Squidoo Charity Fund" so went to be sure.  It does say exactly that.  That is not the same as saying the Acumen fund specifically which is listed as an option under charities if you decide to pick just one.

I'm not trying to be contentious here but pointing out that there really is a difference between the two labels.  Can you please direct me to where it says the Acumen fund specifically in settings?

This is a question for Squidoo. They're handling payments for content until the content is migrated to HP.

http://hq.squidoo.com/hp-faq/

Has any content actually been moved over yet from Squidoo?  How is the transfer coming along?

We have only been testing in our development environment.  There is lots to do!  Think September 2nd for it to really start.  But, from there is should be pretty quick.  Everything will be migrated by end of September.

Thanks for the update.

2. viryabo profile image94
                  viryaboposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a bunch Paul for clarifying this. My new account is up and ready to receive my lenses.
                  But what I want to know is if i can start writing hubs on it now despite the fact that lenses haven't been transferred yet.

Once you have an account, you can start making Hubs. There is no technical reason to wait. Have fun!

Phew!  That's a relief :-) I have been creating them and encouraging others to do the same to get used to the site - so I was watching for your response to that question with some trepidation Paul!

2. viryabo profile image94
                      viryaboposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul.

2. poetvix profile image55
        poetvixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@LindaSmith1 - I read a couple talking about this.  I think charities are usually really cool.  I did a little checking on this one, specifically who all is on it.  Check into that.  It's really interesting from a global power perspective.

20. Paula Atwell profile image69

As someone who has worked with both Squidoo and Hubpages for years, I hope that Hubpages will give us lensmasters through the end of the year as a grace period. This will give our pages time to establish themselves, and us time to get used to the new platform, change what needs changing without too much interruption to the prime earning season. This whole situation is fraught with so many changes and stress at the last possible moment that a little time would be so, so wonderful. smile

21. Paula Atwell profile image69

You are definitely the queen of the DCMA. I admire you for it. smile

22. Linda BookLady profile image80
      Linda BookLadyposted 9 years ago

I just read your updated FAQ about the transfer.

I'm wondering how Photo Gallery modules will be transferred. I have one lens with over 100 photographs displayed in a series of photo galleries.

23. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I just want to congratulate the administration on the good job answering everyone from Squidoo questions. I've been on other sites that haven't been so good about that. Good job!

1. TheKatsMeow profile image88
        TheKatsMeowposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, when I first heard about the move I was freaking out a bit. I came to this forum right away to find that all my questions have been asked and answered. Thanks guys smile

24. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image94
      Glimmer Twin Fanposted 9 years ago

I'm not sure if this has been asked or not, but I do have a question regarding editor's choice hubs.  If I have an editor's choice hub, and someone from squidoo moves an article to HP with the same title, and it becomes an editor's choice hub, won't that mean there are 2 hubs with the same URL, and what would happen in that case?

Thanks for your help.

When we launched EC we made an effort to evaluate already published Hubs.  We are focusing EC selection on new Hubs now. 

Going forward, any person that publishes a new Hub will be considered.

I'd like to make an enhancement where we only select a single title or one hub on a specific topic for EC.

25. Merrci profile image70
      Merrciposted 9 years ago

Thanks for this thread.  It's very helpful and encouraging.  I'm excited to see the changes, and appreciate all you are doing here to make our transfers easier.

26. bettyshares profile image61
      bettysharesposted 9 years ago

From what I understand the only lenses being transferred are pre-selected "Best of" lenses on squidoo. So what is going to happen to the rest of the lenses in our squidoo account that does not get transferred? Will we have time to move them before the site goes away?

That is not correct. Featured lenses are being transferred, so anything that has a green check.

Thanks for the reply, so anything that does not have a green check we will have to move manually?

Right, WIP stuff is not transferring.

Okay, because I was wondering about which lenses are being transferred and which ones are not, since some lensmasters have 200 to 600 lenses that are all published but may not make the transfer to hubpages. I guess we will have to wait and see.

If it's Featured it will be transferred - I'm not familiar with Squidoo, is it difficult to work out whether a lens is Featured or not?

Featured essentially  means that it is published and live.

bettyshares, a featured lens is one that is published and under the dashboard with a green check. That is what is transferring according to the faq.

Thanks, it is clearer now.

From the FAQ (http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq):

"All Lenses (Featured and WIP) from accounts with at least one Featured Lens will be moved to HubPages, unless the user opts out of the migration. Lenses that were Featured on Squidoo will be Featured Hubs on HubPages. WIP Lenses will be unpublished after they're moved to HubPages.

Accounts without any Featured Lenses (excluding seasonal) will not be moved over unless the user opts in to the migration by clicking the link on their Squidoo dashboard and establishing a HubPages user account."

If you have at least one Featured Lens, your WIP lenses WILL be transferred. They just will be unpublished here; you'll have to update them and publish them when ready.

Yes, this is more complete than what I said. The FAQ tells all. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)