You've got mail from Google!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Buildreps profile image85
    Buildrepsposted 8 years ago

Dear Publisher,

We want to let you know about a new policy about obtaining EU end-users’ consent that reflects regulatory and best practice guidance. It clarifies your duty to obtain end-user consent when you use products like Google AdSense, DoubleClick for Publishers, and DoubleClick Ad Exchange.

Please review our new EU user consent policy as soon as possible. This requires that you obtain EU end users’ consent to the storing and accessing of cookies and other information, and to the data collection, sharing, and usage that takes place when you use Google products. It does not affect any provisions on data ownership in your contract.

Please ensure that you comply with this policy as soon as possible, and not later than 30th September 2015.

If your site or app does not have a compliant consent mechanism, you should implement one now. To make this process easier for you, we have compiled some helpful resources at cookiechoices.org.

This policy change is being made in response to best practice and regulatory requirements issued by the European data protection authorities. These requirements are reflected in changes recently made on Google’s own websites.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

Regards,
    The Google Policy Team

Does this mean that HP has to introduce a kind of 'cookie accept' button?

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
      SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they do have to have a "cookie accept" button, unless they want to restrict readers to non-EU countries.

2. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

At the bottom of Google's website they have a privacy link. I'm thinking just putting the same link at the bottom of our own websites would make Google and the EU happy?

I've already tacked it at the bottom of my main website as follows...

Google advertiser privacy policy

I think it needs more than that.  Almost all EU sites have been using something like:
      "We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to browse this site or by choosing to close this message, you give consent for cookies to be used. For more details, including how you can amend your preferences, please read our Cookie Policy."

Usually it's a pop-up type of message.

2. SheilaMilne profile image92

Blogspot already does one: "This site uses cookies to help deliver services. By using this site, you agree to the use of cookies. Learn more Got it"

I would think most big international sites have it covered.

1. paradigm search profile image55
        paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I use Blogger/Blogspot and can't find that quote. Where is it?

Or is it also a pop-up for first time visitors that I've just been totally unaware of?

It will be for first time visitors or if you clear your cookies.  I'm not sure if it's clever enough  to pop up only if you're in the EU (I think it may be).  Since I am in the EU, I can't test it without using a proxy, and then I'd be a first time user anyway.

Thanks. One less thing to worry about.

I'm going to go ahead and leave my link there as well. Maybe Google will give me a bonus point or something. big_smile

3. annart profile image82
    annartposted 8 years ago

I don't understand any of it; just makes me nervous.  I'm just writing under the hubpages umbrella so why can't hubpages sort it out?  Seems to me that it's HubPages who need to give us advice - and advice which the average layperson can understand, not tech talk!

It will have to be HubPages.  It's not something we can do on our individual pages.

1. annart profile image82
        annartposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, SheilaMilne, for agreeing; that makes me feel better!  We'll see what happens, then!

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

I spent an extremely pissed off morning reading about this stupid directive.

In the end I chose the default option that Google suggest - a bit of code to go in the header and a Cookie page to explain to the terribly dumb what it all means.

We all just accept these warnings and carry on anyway - although I suppose there might be some who back arrow.

I wrote a fairly sarcastic Cookie page which ends with this...

Questions
    If you have any questions about this cookie policy I strongly suggest you get a life.

Buildrepsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't want to annoy you even further, Mark, but wouldn't it be nice to toss in a nice fat picture on this issue to wake up the staff? smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sadly I am working.

Sort of.

Buildrepsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But, but...we are your family...sort of

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
            Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well OK.  Look dearest - I have to go out to work.

5. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

LOL Mark!

I will take the even lazier option and just bung yet another plug-in onto my Wordpress sites. Have done that for previous nonsensical rules dumped by G on web site owners. The problem is solved in the ten seconds it takes to search for, select and activate a relevant plug-in.

6. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 8 years ago

The EU requires a clear notification to visitors that cookies are being used. And that notification needs to remain on screen until users click to show they understand. It's just the way things are and website owners need to comply if we want European visitors. I already placed a pop up to do this on my business site yesterday as Google suggested.

As for our hubs, we don't need to be concerned about it on HubPages since it's up to staff to implement this. HP already knows about it. I passed the Google notice on to them yesterday, although I'm sure they already are on top of it. HP is always good at abiding by changing rules. No one needs to worry.

It's not exactly new. It started as an EU Directive that was adopted by all EU countries in May 2011 so they have had a while to think about it.

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
        Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that update. I didn't know the directive was adopted in 2011. Something must have happened that made Google require webmasters to obey it now.

7. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

The idiocy of it all is that I do not use cookies on my web sites. Heck, I don't even ask visitors to opt in to a mailing list! I'm not in the least bit interested where my visitors come from, what they do, nor do I wish to spam them with emails. However, in order to maintain the few pennies I get from Google Ads, I now have to load a plug-in that tells people that their information may be stored by my site.

I'm rapidly getting to the point where I probably will just delete my sites and stop bothering soon. I've already had to put on a mobile-friendly plug-in to shut up Google, despite the fact I have no wish to target phone morons who are unwilling to spend more than ten seconds reading an article.

The angst is really not worth it.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

Meanwhile... the Euro MEPs voted today to store all passenger flight data for five years.

Er.

No cookie warning message there.

9. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Blogger admits that because of my having a custom domain and my being a US visitor I am unable to check if Blogger has put that message on my domain; yet they say I'm responsible for checking that it is there. Could someone from Europe please check it? www .websitewithnoname. com Many thanks and what a pain in the neck... Oh, well.

Some side notes...

I had to throw out the HP hub widget. It would have required a second notification/acceptance pop-up message.

I had to throw out the visitor IP display I was using from a third-party. It would have required a third notification/acceptance pop-up message.

Leastwise I've got no Amazon there. I'm guessing that would have required yet a fourth notification/acceptance pop-up message.

Viglink I'm guessing would have been a fifth if had still been using that.

What a town..., the internet...

1. sallybea profile image93
        sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I used an open source cookie notification from https://silktidedotcom/tools/cookie-consent/ It is easy to check to make sure you have done it properly but wonder if HubPages will do the same on these pages.

Here are the two sticks Blogger poked me with that necessitated my obligatory rant... big_smile

--------

"European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.

As a courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies.

You are responsible for confirming this notice actually works for your blog, and that it displays. If you employ other cookies, for example by adding third party features, this notice may not work for you. Learn more about this notice and your responsibilities."

AND

"European Union (EU) laws require you to give EU visitors information about cookies used on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.

As a courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to help meet these regulations. The notice lets visitors know about Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies on your blog, including Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. Learn about Google’s privacy practices and how Google uses data on partner sites.
          Change the notice
          How to change or disable notice

If you have edited your blog in a way that hides this notice, it will be your responsibility to notify your visitors about cookies used on your blog and if necessary, obtain consent. Also, if you have added other blog features that set cookies, including third-party analytics or advertising services, you’ll need to provide additional or a different notice.

It is your responsibility to determine, based on your cookie use, what else would be appropriate. If you choose to use a different notice, be sure you still comply with Google’s EU user consent policy. Learn more on generating cookie notices.
          See the notice
          To see the notice if you’re outside of the EU, view your blog and change the country code, for example blogspot.fr or blogspot.co.uk. If you use a custom domain, you won't see the notice outside of the EU."

--------

If I add anything beyond Blogger, AdSense, and Analytics someday, maybe I'll liberate whatever HP decides to use... big_smile

2. SheilaMilne profile image92

Yes, it's there, Mr Paradigm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)