A few other changes

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (48 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

Today we also rolled out a few other changes, besides the eBay cut over.

- The video capsule now supports Metacafe and Revver videos
    - For URL Trackers, you can now see who you have referred, just click on the tracking token from here.  At the same time we eliminated the earnings estimates as they were a tremendous source of confusion and not that accurate anyway.
    - Until the end of the month we upped the revenue share from 60% to 70% to compensate for the AdSense outage.
    - Plus a handful of other minor changes, which you may or may not notice.

If you run across any problems, please let us know.  Thanks!

1. profile image0
      TiffanyDowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

OMG! I just learned about Revver! This is awesome!

2. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Sweeeet!

1. kashifmahmood profile image41
        kashifmahmoodposted 16 years agoin reply to this

This is simply great smile

3. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Most excellent.  THANKS!!!!!

4. premsingh profile image59
      premsinghposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks pauldeeds for this change.Few days back, I started a thread in the forum to make this change  so that HP and hubbers are benefitted in the long run. This is a welcome step.

5. retired06 profile image70
      retired06posted 16 years agoin reply to this

pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I don't think there is a wide spread problem.  You may want to try selecting the text you typed in, and then choose "paragraph" from the formatting drop down list (assuming you want it formatted as a paragraph).

If that doesn't do it, you may want to try closing down all your browser windows and then re-opening your browser.  Then, go to http://hubpages.com/ and hold down the shift key, and refresh the page.  This will clear out any potentially corrupted or stale javascript or css files that may be cached on your local machine.

6. premsingh profile image59

pauldeeds, I lost all the interest  in URL trackers after this change. Please, undo the change even if it is a source of great confusion.

1. crusador profile image75
        crusadorposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I also support resoration of rough estimates on the referral page.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I agree with pauldeeds big_smile Waste of time and a source of much confusion and arguments. Reminds me of a quote from Scott McNealy (Sun microsystems) when there was a big hooha over consumer privacy:

"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it."

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

I don't think we're going to restore those estimates.  However, if you want to calculate something similar yourself, just take the CPM you are seeing with AdSense on HubPages plus the stats from the tracker page:

CPM - Your AdSense cpm for HubPages traffic
        HTV - hub traffic views from your trackers page
        THV - traffic hub views from your trackers page

Total Dollar Earnings Estimate = ( ( THV + HTV) * CPM ) / 10000

1. premsingh profile image59

Thanks 'paul' for the formula. I accept your verdict happily. Only thing I will mention here that the rough estimates shown before the changes always pursuaded hubbers like me to try to bring new hubbers to hubpages. I don't know I'll have or not have same zeal after these changes. It can just be imagined from the fact that earlier i was looking for referral trackers whenever I logged on but I did it rarely after this change.

7. Andrew0208 profile image58
      Andrew0208posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Great!! It makes it decent to actually track traffic sources and it's related referrals. It's encouraging knowing whom you referred.

8. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What if one of your trackers doesn't show who the referrals are?

This is what's happened to one tracker where I can't see the 2 referrals, is there are reason for this?

2. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Very cool. I love that we can see who we've signed up now. Do you think it would be appropriate to send emails to those who haven't published a hub to get them inspired to do so?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Good question Whitney  - I was wondering the same thing.  Especially as a couple of mine have set up a proper profile with a photo and bio but haven't written a thing in two or three months.

3. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Found a change.. I think... You guys removed the thing underneath the option to set link to option in new browser or open in the same browser. I don't remember what was under the option scroll box thing, but it's gone now.

4. Stacie Naczelnik profile image67
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Excellent.  Thanks Paul, and everyone else at the space station.

5. Angela Harris profile image67
    Angela Harrisposted 16 years ago

Loving these changes. Hip Hip Hooray for the Hubpages staff.

6. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 16 years ago

I am loving it! smile Thanks Paul

7. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image80
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 16 years ago

Thank you HubPages!

You guys rock.  I really appreciate your continued dedication to make this the best place to publish online.

I feel honored to be a part of such a great group of people:-)

tDMg
    LdsNana-AskMormon

8. kia31 profile image64
    kia31posted 16 years ago

I all for change,  I knew something was going on because some of the links were not working today. I will check out the new video sites and see if I can put my New eBay Id in, I could not earlier.

9. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Three cheers for the best changes I've seen here yet!!

>.>  Can we have adult content available again yet?  I've got a billion awesome ideas if we could..

Joking! Joking!

10. Betty Jo Petty profile image61
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 16 years ago

I can hear I've been missing things happening here.  I have been somewhere that has not been too cheerful (well, not for me) lately.

Catching up here is now on my busy, busy agenda.  Just joking. I'm the unbusiest person in the world.  Not a word, sorry. 

Now, to find someone to explain all this.  bjp

11. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 16 years ago

Very cool. smile

I am having a few problems at the moment. Rather the reposting them, here's a link to the thread I started in the help forum.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/4310#post35341

12. spuds profile image60
    spudsposted 16 years ago

Love the changes. Great job team.

13. topstuff profile image59
    topstuffposted 16 years ago

Where can we see now refferal (url tracker)earnings?

14. WeddingConsultant profile image64
    WeddingConsultantposted 16 years ago

Thank you Hubteam for adding these tweaks!  Boy, I'm really excited that we can put revver and metacafe videos on here.  Fantastic!

15. KevinDoyle profile image59
    KevinDoyleposted 16 years ago

Do you have any plans on adding support for Viddler video?

16. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image64
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

This is great! Thanks Hub Team big_smile

17. compu-smart profile image88
    compu-smartposted 16 years ago

Wow, the new url trakker feature is awsome!!
    smile

18. SunSeven profile image62

Hi Paul,

The referral stats seem to be a little out of place as far as total hubs published vs hubs published under individual trackers. Can you please check?

thanks and regards

I believe this is fixed now.  We store a cached version of the total number of published hubs for performance reasons (since it is somewhat expensive to calculate in real time).  Under certain circumstances it doesn't get updated immediately when the actual number of published hubs for a user changes.

19. vietnamese profile image65
    vietnameseposted 16 years ago

With regarding to the Tracker, is there a limit? I remember it was mentioned "20 trackers" limit somewhere. But I've tried to go over that and it's still fine. Any input?

The limit is currently 30.

1. vietnamese profile image65
        vietnameseposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I guess I better start to do some planning as I plan to use many trackers!

If someone can show a real need for more trackers, we're willing to up the limit.  We just don't want anyone to try and grab up all the good strings.

20. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I'm having problems in that the video capsule won't take a Revver URL.  I sent in email to the hub team a few days ago, but still haven't heard back.

Relache, I just published a test hub that includes a revver and a metacafe video.  You should be able to get it to work by just pasting in either the URL to the video, or the embed tag that they provide.  I used URLs in this case.

http://hubpages.com/hub/test-test-test-test

If you are still having trouble, please let me know the specific video you are trying to embed and more details about what happens when you try and add it to the capsule.

1. Evolving1 profile image60
        Evolving1posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Paul, I'm not having any problems with the Revver url, though I am wondering if there is a way to set the video format size?

I just uploaded my first video from that site and it's much larger than I'd intended. Was there previously a way to set this option? If so, I've forgotten where that's located.

Thanks-

Other than putting the video in the right column (where it will be half the width), there is no way to  adjust the size of videos.  It might be something we offer in the future, but probably not the near future.

1. Evolving1 profile image60
            Evolving1posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Okay - thanks, Paul.
            I've done that now and it worked out fine. ;-)

21. premsingh profile image59
    premsinghposted 16 years ago

I just added few REVVER videos in my hubs by copying URL. It is as easy as adding Youtube or google video.After pasting URL, clicking on preview video displays the code.

22. WeddingConsultant profile image64
    WeddingConsultantposted 16 years ago

I didn't have any problems submitting revver videos to my hub here.

23. Dorsi profile image86
    Dorsiposted 16 years ago

I love the url trackers showing who signed up- it's a great way to access our efforts and to also support those who do sign up!
    Thanks!

24. SunSeven profile image62

A welcome feature at HP smile

25. best of the web profile image65
    best of the webposted 15 years ago

Nice changes smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)