Atheists, would proof of Jesus as the Son of God make you a Christian?

Jump to Last Post 151-170 of 170 discussions (2613 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image60
    dianetrotterposted 11 years ago

Fellow believers let us pray that God will have mercy on those who mock his name, on those who show anger and disgust, on those who cannot understand the reality of the one true living God.  May we, like Christ on the cross, speak words of love and concern for those who don't know what they are doing or understand the love of God.  I pray that the Holy Spirit will convict them and lead them into all truth.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL! "the reality of the one true living God"

And, this reality is in which universe?  lol

1. youcanwin profile image42
        youcanwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

1. jacharless profile image75
          jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmm. Then explain the 2047 + years of 'perished' people.
          And, remember, perish means death -and also the Hebrews do not believe the afterlife concept.
          Afterlife comes from pagan mysticism.

1. profile image51
            Robertr04posted 11 years agoin reply to this

James, James, James. You do come up with something on point every once in awhile, don't you? Agreed, afterlife is pagan. Since man and animals have been on earth, all that have perished, are still dead. The Hebrews believe in the resurrection of Mashyach and His return. They believe that the set-apart people will live again at His return. I told you before, you need to stop listening to those imposters (Ashkenazi Jews), the gentiles, who dare, trample down His land. So, you are not speaking for the Hebrews, or about the Hebrews, only for the impersonators in Israel today. You didn't know that, from "within"?

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

That's not love, that's selfishness.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's clear that the Holy Spirit has not made Claire a more compassionate person.

2. Brian in Canada profile image60
    Brian in Canadaposted 11 years ago

I do not believe in a God and I think, from reading the Bible - 'the word of God' - that the God described there is evl.

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

two hundred years ago the ability for man to be able to fly through the ait was a mith.

Funny how histry tends to disprove it self concerning what is myth and what isn't.

Stand in one place long enough ....   and everything that you know to be truth will become myth

Two thousand years ago the ability for man to walk on water, cure blindness and resurrect the dead was a reality.

Exactly.

Or not.

4. Brian in Canada profile image60

"two hundred years ago the ability for man to be able to fly through the ait was a mith."

Jerami, you dont understand what the word 'myth' means. Look it up in a dictionary. That is a book with words and their meanings. Man taking flight was never considered a myth at anytime in history. Never.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes  Have you read the Myths about atlantis

1. Brian in Canada profile image60
        Brian in Canadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, have you heard the myth about the Christian God? A real childish myth but one that has had a terrible impact on the world, starting with the Amaleks in the Bible.

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

so you choose to believe

2. Chris Neal profile image77
          Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

On the contrary, God (who you refer to as "The Christian God") has had a very definite positive impact on the world. Many of the people who claim to  be His have had a very negative impact, as have many of the people who claim He doesn't exist, but He Himself has been beneficial.

5. dianetrotter profile image60

Raman, that is totally sick.  I don't know who the Benedict guy is but people in positions of responsibility are just as responsible as the abusers.  I'm a mandated reporter and am obligated to report to child services if I have a reasonable belief that someone is being abused.  I can get fired for trying to figure it out myself.

6. ro-jo-yo profile image82
    ro-jo-yoposted 11 years ago

I think people should have a problem with what the Catholic Church teaches, they preach that Jesus Christ is God. But the first commandment states:
    I am Yehowah, thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

dianetrotterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ro-jo-yo, I just read your article on Yehoway and the trinity.  It sounds like you want to keep the names of God in Hebrew in all Bibles regardless of translation.  There are names ascribed to God that tell about His nature:  Jehovah Jireh - The Lord who provides; Jehovah Nissi - The Lord our banner; Jehovah Rapha - The Lord who heals  If you will refer to online commentaries, you will find that theologians have not overlooked most points people attempt to debate.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All mainline Christian denominations teach that Jesus is God.  That's not exclusive to the teachings of the Catholic Church.

7. ShellyPhish profile image60
    ShellyPhishposted 11 years ago

HOW would you even go about proving something like that? It's not like God has DNA that we could compare to Jesus. So honestly, anyone can say their god. There's no way to prove it.

1. youcanwin profile image42
      youcanwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"God"....................the greatest lover

"so loved"............the greatest degree

"the world"...............................the greatest number

"that He gave".........................the greatest act

"His only begotten Son".........the greatest gift

"that whosoever".....................the greatest invitation

"believeth"................................the greatest simplicity

"in Him".....................................the greatest person

"should not perish"..................the greatest deliverance

"but"...........................................the greatest difference

"have".......................................the greatest certainty

"everlasting life."....................the greatest possession

1. profile image0

Your greed for ever lasting life will not get you far. For it is a sin to want to be like God, is it not?

1. A Thousand Words profile image67
          A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. Brian in Canada profile image60

God  ... an immoral, evil dictator who asks his followers to comming murder, genocide and rape.

Jesus ... the most wicked man in the Bible.

In a literal, and literalist, sense, you're right. Anyone can say they're god. People do it all time. But there's one big difference with Jesus. He fulfilled prophecies that were written down a thousand years or more before His birth, and have been continually studied for thousands of years. That's why so many of the self-proclaimed 'Messiahs' of the first century are barely remembered, if at all, while Jesus started a worldwide movement that's lasted over two thousand years.

8. Brian in Canada profile image60
  9. ro-jo-yo profile image82

If one truly did study the bible then they would know that the name of the Messiah is Yehowshuwa. A person has to study on their own or else they get indoctrinated  by their instructors.

To diannetrotter 
    Jehovah is an intentional German corruption by the Germans of the true name Yehowah.

1. Chris Neal profile image77

The question is: Does knowing God's "true name" bring you closer to God or not?

1. profile image0
        Chasukposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No.

The "true name" nonsense was invented during the Jewish diaspora, and later adopted by Kabbalists. This was retroactively attached to ancient Judaism, but there is no evidence that it should have been.

Of course, if you feel closer to God by knowing his "true name," then all we know is that _you_ feel closer, not that any special bilateral closeness has been achieved.

I didn't know about it during the diaspora. But I agree, that knowing God's 'true name' is usually more of a diversion than an actual straight path to Him.

1. profile image51

Is this a Christian teaching? You are not held accountable for what you do not know? The Book gives many verses showing the importance of knowing the Name. In Prov.30:4- "Who else but Yahuah goes back and forth to heaven? Who else holds the wind in His fists, and wraps up the oceans in His cloak? Who but Yahuah has created the world? If there is any other, what is his name- and his son's name- if you know it? We are actually challengened to discover the true Name. Even if you are not a scholar or linguist (I'm not) don't be led astray by modern spins to the language given by the Most High. Look only at the way the Names were originally written and spelled. The Greeks kept the Father's Name written in Hebrew in all their early manuscripts. For the naysayers. Many claim that since they don't speak Hebrew, there is no significance in calling the Father and Son by their Hebrew Names. Do you speak Spanish, Dutch, German, Russian etc.? No? We have no problem in trying to pronounce the names of people from these countries exactly the way they sound so as not to offend. Does not the Creator deserve at least the same respect as men?

Hi Robert, Respectfully, if you are not a scholor or linguist, what is your basis to take an authoritative position about what people should call God.  What's baffling is that there are hundreds, maybe thousands of translations of the Bible.  There are possibly two to three times as many commentaries, dictionaries, and other authoritative sources that transcribe from Greek/Hebrew to many different languages.  Yours is the first that seems insistent that the original names are all that is acceptable.  How can you be sure that you are right?  What would be a compelling reason for people to change based on your declaration.  No sarcasm intended.

1. profile image51

I know you are not being sarcastic, Diane. You should ask questions about anything you may not understand or foreign to you. I don't speak several languages skillfully (linguist), but I fellowship and study His word with those that have this ability. I have problems with one language. I am a student and pupil (scholar) of His word, but claim no profound knowledge of it. I have spent the last 12 yrs sincerly seeking His word, light has been shed. Many others can make the same statement, I'm sure. Yes, all translations come from Hebrew or Greek. Now a question that needs to be asked is what Hebrew, paleo (ancient,original) or modern/Yiddish? You have probably never come across the true Hebrew language. The ancient biblical manuscripts were in a language that contained no vowel points. The vowel points were added in the 9th cent. to guard against anyone saying the Sacred Name. This is during the time many of the names of the Father "Jehovah", "Yahweh" etc. originated, give or take a century or two, especially with the popular YHWH. Those who I have learned from have brought to my attention many of the false teachings that have occured because of the addition of vowel points which man has used to pollute and corrupt the original language. The JP Green Interlinear is the only Book that translates word for word in Ancient Hebrew and Greekinto English. It will bring a far superior understanding on what the Book is saying. Many fear to delve into a deeper understanding because the truths made visible, most Christians do not want to accept. It literally rocks the boat. No, I am not the first to insist that that the original Names are all that is acceptable. I asked if Christians still believed you will not be held accountable for what you don't know. Did they also tell you, you will be held accountable if you willingly do not seek to know. I know I'll get some flak with that, but....How can I be sure that I am right? I can now give you scriptual proof of what I have learned and believe to be the truth. Still doesn't mean I'm right does it? You can feel it, you can see it, a fire in your bones. How can you be sure I am wrong? Do you know the true Names of the Father and Son? Do you have any knowledge of the ancient languages? If not, you actually don't know what was originally written. I can now see thru the myths and words that give false and misleading meanings. Still does not mean I am right. Simply right for me. All it would take is a little research. Are you so sure, that what you believe you know, following that Christian doctrine, is the way, without taking a look.  Excuse me, but sister, you are being deceived. All of us have been deceived, but you of all people. No sarcasm meant. I say what I say because I care, to you and everyone else. Take a look before it is too late. It can and will get to be too late. Shalum

Hi Robert, I know there is no sarcasm in your tone.  I hear passion.  I believe, based on The Bible, that Christians will not be judged.  They will stand before the Lord at the Judgement Seat of Christ to receive rewards for their faithfulness.  Some will receive more than others.  I know non-believers will go before the Great White Throne of Judgement.  It's wonderful that you have time to delve into languages, history, and philosophy.  Is Shalum the same as Shalom?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                    Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Odd you don't understand that this is the basis of all the conflicts your religion causes.

Them/Us. Saved/Lost -  we get rewards/others get judged.

Glad to see you are an OT girl - better read up on what the OT says about women. Far as I recall - you are sinning every time you speak to a stranger.

Save me a seat by the fire. wink

2. profile image51

Hi Diane. Before we go any further , would you mind answerering a few questions? What do you think the Father's grace is? Most believers probably have an opinion (so do I), so I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer. Just let your heart speak. What race were the Egyptians of biblical times? How many times is the word " christian" used in your bible. Where did the word originate?  Where does it say we are no longer under law? Where did the name "Jesus" originate? Finally, who is Sergius Paulus in Acts13:7? I think this would be a good beginning for the conversation that is surely coming. Shalum is ancient (original Hebrew), peace. Shalom is modern/Yiddish Hebrew, maybe Arabic? One more quick one. Elohim/god is modern/Yiddish. Why did they change the Most High's Name to god? Satan is even called the "god of this world". God is not only a title, it is also the name of the Babylonian deity of Fortune found in Isa.65:11 as gawd, god, or gud. Here again the interlinear is important for understanding important words. In the Hebrew text, you would notice the descriptive Name the Father used when speaking of another "deity": G_ d (look formiliar?) "But you are those who forsake Yahuah, who forget the  alaph/ tau set-apart mountain, who prepare a table for G_d (gad,gud, gawd) and who fill a drink offering for Mny (isa.65"11). This is the same god that millions pray to each day out of not knowing. Many people think they are doing a service for the Father, but as you can see, His Name was never god, nor did He ever instruct His people to insult Him with such a nasty word. Yahuah is not god. God also pronounced as gad and gott, was a common word that was applied to superhumanbeings of heathen mythologies and comic books such as Hercules, Achiles, He-man, Superman the justice league (sorry fellas) Aquaman, the x-men an so on and so forth (yes, heroes are gods). The Egyptians had gods for everything and they even carried crosses. The word in itself denotes paganism. Why would we refer to Yahuah as god when He did not want us to mention their names Joshua23:6,7? Alahym is paleo Hebrew meaning Mighty one. These are some of the nuances that change meanings of Scripture. There are many, many, many more. Get the point? Shalum

I think that if it had been so important for Christians to know and use the absolute proper name, then both Jesus and Paul would have recorded teachings stressing that. Neither do. As I've said elsewhere, it is important that we understand that we are not calling on the Muslim god or the Hindu god. But most people understand that.

2. A Thousand Words profile image67
          A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There was a man once, very controversial in the church, who claimed that all people worship God simply by breathing. That our breath is basically YavEh, and that we continuously worship God whether we are Christian or not. I thought it was cute. I think his name is Rob Bell.

Rob Bell also cites sources for religions that I cannot find other than in his stuff.

Rob Bell????

Rob Bell is the influential found and former head pastor of Mars Hill Church in southern California. He adopted a view called "Christian universalism" that holds that everybody claiming to be a Christian will get into Heaven. Often, he sound like he thinks everybody will get into Heaven, no matter who they are or what they've done. In many ways, he's a rock star on the lecture circuit. But he's also a sloppy researcher.

2. profile image0
                Chasukposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not Art Bell. Rob Bell is wonderful.

2. jacharless profile image75

Actually, you would be correct in that the Hebrew term 'breath' or 'breathe' means to have the force of all life within. This is described in Genesis at human formation and reiterated in the testimony of Yon. another way of saying this is ruach, pneuma, ohm. It is the vibration of all creation or Spirit which is creation.

However, worship itself does not imply humans focused on Creator, even having that breath. The breath is involuntary whereas worship is voluntary. Explains why there are a vast array of worship applications toward g/Gods and such. Whatever one is fixated on and meditates on -be it a thought, a feeling, a text, an object, etc- is defined as what one worships.

Am not familiar with Rob Bell. Must investigate...

James.

1. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image85
              HeadlyvonNogginposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's really interesting because that is what differentiated Adam from the rest of creation. Unlike the humans of Genesis 1 who naturally evolved, Adam was created and then given the breath of life. What made Adam unique was his ability to behave of his own will, outside of God's. He, in affect, was the first 'creator' in God's creation.

It also says during the flood account that the flood was meant to kill all who had the 'breath of life' in them. We now know the flood wasn't global. There was actually a small number of descendants of Adam/Eve, and only they would have the 'breath of life' in this sense. And only they, being creators, were capable of wickedness.

10. gloriajeanjones profile image60
    gloriajeanjonesposted 11 years ago

I do so agree, God has a name and should be addressed as such but we can call him Yahweh or Jahovah his name in the old hebrew scriptures was represented as YHWH. I wish people would call him that when they pray instead of God, God is just a title and anyway there are three gods. Satan who is the god of this system, Jesus who is a god in his own right and the Creator Jahovah.

1. jacharless profile image75

True, "G/gods" have names.
      But, the one that is all things has no name, that is why Moshe was told ehyeh asher ehyeh or I am that am I.  It reads the same either direction -like the word kayak- symbolizing the alpha-omega, the never ending.In other words, Ineffable.

Now, can one name or title what is ineffable? What was not created? No.
      Anything created, can be titled, can be named -like g/Gods for example.

James.

11. ro-jo-yo profile image82

It is well known that the Hebrew letters of the name of the Almighty is YHWH, and it is also known that the true name with the vowels added is Yehowah, and as you will notice the name has no hard consonates in it. It is like our very breath when you say the name. So I think the name is very important, if we truly are seeking God.  There have been many variant names thrown about to cause confusion. If you go to Israel now, the language teachers will try to presuade you to accept that the W is now a V, this is done so no one is calling upon the true name. But there are still Hebrew people that do remember and know his name, those are the ones that have been persecuted.

Did not Yehowshuwa, his son, say that when we pray we should say...
    Luke 11:2 KJV
    And he said unto them, When ye pray , say , Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Zechariah 13:9 KJV
    And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined , and will try them as gold is tried : they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say , It is my people: and they shall say , YEHOWAH is my God.

I think it's important to an extent. People who are calling on the One, True God should not be calling on Allah, or Krishna. But if you're reading the Bible and the Holy Spirit is speaking to you, if you call Him 'God' or 'Lord' then He knows who you're talking to. That's the important thing.

12. dianetrotter profile image60

ro-jo-yo, If the BIble is wrong about the name for God, I wouldn't believe anything in it because it is either all or none.  All translations are parallel as far as I know.  It's like going to court.  If you tell one lie, that casts doubt on everything you say.

13. ro-jo-yo profile image82

Using the correct name once a person knows it is essential. Why would you use any other. As for the title 'God' in Hebrew this word written as 'Gad' pronunced as Gawd, is a name of a deity of Fortune. And as for using the word LORD that could mean anyone, Baal is also translated as Lord. The British have "Lords".
    The Messiah Yehowshuwa (which is the true Hebrew name of the Messiah, which literally means Yehowah's loud call to freedom) told us how to pray and that we are to hallow our Father's name.

John 12:28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. 29 The people therefore, that stood by , and heard it, said that it thundered :
    When the Messiah was asked what the greatest commmand was:
    Mark 12:29 And Yehowshuwa answered him, The first of all the commandments , Hear, O Israel; Yehowah our God is one Yehowah:
    30 And thou shalt love Yehowah thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this  the first commandment.
    31 And the second  like,  this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

I have inserted the Almighty's name like it would have been in the Hebrew script, and as you see Yehowshuwa is quoting from Deutromony which is in the Torah. So Yehowshuwa said his Father's name.

Then why did neither Jesus, nor Paul, nor John, Matthew or Mark or Peter, ever stress that we MUST, MUST, MUST use the correct name of God, original Hebrew, no variations or dialectic differentials, otherwise we are not calling on the Father and He will not hear us?

1. profile image51

Why didn't they  stress the trinity? Chris, we each will live or die, by our decisions on this matter (true Name) and many more, fiery hell, immortal soul, Jesus is god, the rapture, some even believe Jesus is an angel.(well, he might be but Mashyach isn't) to name a few. Christianity has many false teachings. You have chosen your path, I have chosen mine. Let us agree to disagree.Shalum

14. dianetrotter profile image60

This could possibly lead to cultic behavior.

15. ro-jo-yo profile image82

To understand what the truth is one must first seek our Father Yehowah, our Creator, .. Atheist are doomed from the start because they don't believe in a Creator. And Christians are doomed because they follow not the Almighty's word. They follow Jesus Christ a false god, they are baptized and have taken an oath to Jesus Christ.
    Deuteronomy 4:29 KJV
    But if from thence thou shalt seek YEHOWAH thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

1 Chronicles 28:9
    ...for YEHOWAH searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

Psalms 14:1
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt , they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. 2 YEHOWAH looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand , and seek God. 3 They are all gone aside , they are all together become filthy : there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge ? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon YEHOWAH.

Proverbs 28:5 KJV
    Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek YEHOWAH understand all things.

Psalm 105:3 KJV
    Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek YEHOWAH.

Amos 5:8
    Seek him that maketh the seven stars and Orion, and turneth the shadow of death into the morning, and maketh the day dark with night: that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: YEHOWAH is his name.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqK8O0jRlXRWnG5Hl6-TdMMlbjTJwMvNDaYuWQ9JoC5YdqZh1hGg

2. dianetrotter profile image60

ro-jo-ho, may I ask who else believes this other than you.

1. ro-jo-yo profile image82
        ro-jo-yoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Zechariah 13:9 KJV
        And I will bring the THIRD part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined , and will try them as gold is tried : they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say , It is MY PEOPLE: and they shall say , YEHOWAH is my God.
        Revelation 18:4 KJV
        And I heard another voice from heaven, saying , Come out of her, MY PEOPLE, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

16. Praetor profile image60
    Praetorposted 11 years ago

http://i.imgur.com/azFAj.png

1. Claire Evans profile image62
      Claire Evansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You think religion had anything to do with 9-11? Where's your proof of that?

Yes, religion had everything to do with 9/11! What was the last thing the Islamo-fascists said before they slammed planes into the World Trade Center? Allah Akbar! Its one tape. Just another example of the hated relgions causes.

LMAO! Oh, I'm interested in this tape.  Tell me the proof of the existence of this tape?  I'll let you on a secret.  If a Muslim says, "Allah Akhbar!", NORAD automatically stands down and allows planes to hit a no-fly zone.   It's kind of like, "Open Sesame!"

Hey, would you like me to start a forum thread about this topic in the September 11 category? Since you are so good at debating and stuff?

Clarie Evans, your response does not make sense. The Islamo-fascists who captured the planes of September 11 were singing 'Allah Akbar!' as the planes approached the twin towers on September 11, 2001. It was the last recorded messages from the cockpit before impact.

According to whom? I read in the newspaper that unicorns were the pilots.  I mean, it has to be true if it is in the media. 

Can you give me some evidence of these tapes, please?

1. profile image0

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … lanes.html

4) United Airlines Flight 93

"At 10.01, Jarrah repeats "Allah is the Greatest!" before asking another hijacker: "Is that it? Shall we put it down?"
                His ally replied: "Yes pull it down".
                Jarrah rolled the plane onto its back, with shouts of "Allah is the Greatest" continuing in the cockpit.
                The counter-attack could still be heard as the Flight 93 plunged downwards, crashing just after 10.03 into an empty field in Pennsylvania, 20 minutes' flight time from Washington.
                As the 9/11 Report concluded: "Jarrah's objective was to crash his airliner into symbols of the American Republic He was defeated by the alerted, unarmed passengers of United 93.""

This is just an account from the black box, I haven't found the tape yet, and I don't have time to look right now, to be fair both could have been fabricated.

Rad Man, I'm not responding to you as you are not worth my time.  Don't bother in future.  If Brian points out what you have, I will address it.  I'm also concerned that I will be blocked because this is going off topic so I want to start a discussion in the appropriate forum.

1. profile image0

ha ha ha ha ha. You're upset because I showed you something about yourself you don't like or want to acknowledge. That's okay, but I have to keep showing others the faults of your argument when we cross paths.

2. Claire Evans profile image62
          2. IAmAnAtheist profile image61
            IAmAnAtheistposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its true Claire, they were either yelling "Allah Akbar!" or "Alluha Akbar!" ive been getting mixed results but either way tied to religion. This was during 9/11 and other events.

And your proof is?

1. IAmAnAtheist profile image61

And this proves what?

1. IAmAnAtheist profile image61

oh lol sorry wrong article.
                    find islamic extremism usage.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah_akbar

2. dianetrotter profile image60

Atheist, saying tied to "religion' is like being tied to "people or chldren, or Asians.'  Religion is very broad a term  for what happened 9/11.

Yes, but the motivation for most, if not all, of the hijackers on 9/11 was religious. They believed that they were striking a blow against the "Great Satan" (the US) because Osama bin Laden believed that America would cower and hide if we got hit on our home turf. He was present in Somalia during the time of 'Black Hawk Down' and saw the loss of a 'mere' 19 people caused President Clinton to pull our troops out and return home. He reasoned based on this that if he killed a bunch of people on American soil that Americans would reckon it too costly to keep troops in the Middle East and pull out altogether.

9/11 really have more to do with fear, control, politics, and hatred of the US.

That's a very profound psychological analysis. Evil is a very real thing, and whatever motives you might want to ascribe to Osama bin Laden, I think it's a huge mistake to try to leave his religion out of it.

2. IAmAnAtheist profile image61

Im not sure what you mean by saying, tied to "religion' is like being tied to "people or chldren, or Asians.' Im also not sure what you mean by, Religion is very broad a term  for what happened 9/11. Im not saying religion is the reason it happened, im saying it was a component of 9/11.

A fabulous bit of agitprop! Just fabulous!

17. The Suburban Poet profile image83
    The Suburban Poetposted 11 years ago

I know some Muslims here in Texas and they are very very normal and Americanized people. As for abroad I believe some have been radicalized by people who hate America and are using religion to recruit soldiers. But I don't believe the general populations of the predominanetly Islamic countries want war or to conquer the world with religion. If they were like that they would have killed every American over there and we'd have pulled everyone out long ago.... I have a good friend who lives in Iraq and he is Jewish. He's not afraid.

I want to be clear that I was pointing out that the 9/11 hijackers believed they were performing religiously pious acts. I have not known many Muslims personally but the ones I have known don't seem at all inclined toward suicide bombing. And judging from what I've seen and heard, most Muslims worldwide aren't either. If a Muslim reads this and I sound a little condescending, I apologize, I don't mean to be. But the discussion turned specifically to those men who hijacked the planes on 9/11.

1. The Suburban Poet profile image83
        The Suburban Poetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand. I personally believe religion gave those pilots the courage to do what they did; but I believe they did it for the following reasons: 1) Our unconditional support of Israel 2) The first Iraq War 3) The plight of the Palestinian people which I guess could be combined with #1

If you ever get a chance Google bin Laden's alleged statement on the attack. It is very revealing.

18. monkeyminds profile image46
    monkeymindsposted 11 years ago

If I had some ham I could have some ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.
    If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt when he hopped.
    If I climbed the what if tree, I could be there all day long...

19. monkeyminds profile image46
    monkeymindsposted 11 years ago

BTW, that was in response to the OP. I see now that things are way off course.

20. Ricardius profile image59
    Ricardiusposted 11 years ago

No, proof comes down to opinion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)