- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
Apocalypse Formations (Warhammer 40k) List & Rules Part 2
Hello again. Murphy, here (@BenMurphy), back to look at more Apocalypse Formations for the upcoming release of Apocalypse 2nd Edition for Warhammer 40k 6th edition. Whew that's a lot of editions! In my last article, I covered the Apocalypse Formations for Blood Angels, Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines, and the Dark Angels. You can find that article by clicking below:
- New! Apocalypse 40k Review Hub
- Apocalypse Formations (Warhammer 40k) - List & Rules - Part 1
For this article, I will cover the next couple of armies on the list. Remember that the Apocalypse book is not out yet, so I will come back and edit these lists with each Formation's special rules as soon as they are available. For now, we can look at what models are needed to bring the Formation to the battlefield.
Also remember that you do not need to bring models in a formation. You can bring basically whatever you want, however, the formations give the models in them special bonuses or advantages; so if you have them, bring them!
Dark Eldar Apocalypse Formations
One of my favorite armies, the Dark Eldar. While I don't see them exactly creating a million-man army and meeting their opponent on the battlefield, I could image a giant raid to inflict massive punishment upon their enemy before disappearing back into the webway. Let's look at their Formations.
Carnival of Pain:
- Urien Rakarth or Ancient Haemonculus
- 0+ Haemonculus
- 0+ 3 Grotesque units
- 0+ Wrack units
- 3+ pain engines
- All enemy units within 12" of a pain engine are at -1 Toughness. Dark Eldar units within 12" of this formation who already have a pain token have +1 to their Feel No Pain. Units with 4 pain tokens have +2 to their Feel No Pain.
- Lelith or a Succubus
- 1+ Hellions unit
- 1+ Reaver jetbike unit
- 2+ Wych units
- 0+ Beastmaster unit
- 0+ Bloodbrides
- Beastmaster units and their beasts have combat drugs. Roll twice for Combat Drugs results and keep both. Also, whenever a unit from this formation gains a pain token for killing an enemy unit, another Dark Eldar unit within 24" also gains a pain token.
Kabalite Web Strike:
- 1 Archon
- 1+ Incubi unit
- 2+ Kabalite Warrior units
- 1+ Ravager
- 0+ Trueborn
- All models must be mounted in a Raider or Venom
- Formation must be in Strategic Reserve and can enter any friendly turn. On the turn they enter, they may re-roll failed To Hit rolls. Also, set up an Arterial Webway Portal, which is just like a normal Webway Portal, but it is a large blast marker, can be used by vehicles, and is set up at with Fortifications anywhere outside your enemy's deployment zone.
Ravager Titan Hunters:
- 3-5 Ravagers
- Ravagers within 6" of the command vehicle gain Shrouded (combined with Jink is nice!). Also, the command vehicle has a special attack that shuts down any void, power, or titan holo-fields for this formations attacks.
- 3-5 Razorwing Jetfighters
- They can Vector Strike an enemy unit when moving over, suffering d3 Str 8 AP 3 hits for each Razorwing in the formation and you can allocate 1 of this hits yourself for each Razorwing, the rest are random allocation.
Dark Eldar forces are always brutal affair, designed to hurt their opponent with many small cuts that just keep coming. They completely lack heavy armor and rely on maneuvering, cover saves, and special wargear to keep their units alive. I really like the Arterial Webway Portal you get with the Kabalite formation, as it can be used to set up the rest of your Dark Eldar army to enter the board. Also, there is a synergistic element to these formations, with the Dark Olympiad giving free pain tokens and the Carnival of Pain enhancing Feel No Pain to those that have pain tokens. Also, with the Titan Hunter formation, you can actually put a hurting on enemy super-heavies . . . no void shields and 9-15 Lance attacks every turn. Yikes!
Eldar Apocalypse Formations
The latest 6th edition Warhammer 40k release, the Eldar have a list of Apocalypse Formations all of their own. Fast, deadly, and bringing forth arcane technology, they should be a force to be recognized (not to mention that they have titans of their own!).
- 3-5 Falcon grav-tanks
- Gains Deep Strike. If the formation moves Flat Out, they gain Shrouded. If they don't shoot in a Shooting Phase, then in their Next Shooting Phase, all pule lasers and bright lances gain twin-linked and Lance.
- 5-10 Farseers
- Psychic Choir. As long as there are 3 members, they do not get Perils of the Warp on a double-6. If they roll double-1's they can either ignore the wound and fail the test, or take the wound and cast it. Special Power Warp Charge 3. Place a token within 24". Friendly models attacking enemy models within 12" of the token may re-roll failed To Hit and To Wound rolls against that enemy unit.
The Phoenix Court of Khaine:
- 1 Avatar of Khaine
- All 6 Phoenix Lords
- The Avatar gains Eternal Warrior and his powers and weapons extend to 24". He also gains bonus attacks equal to the number of Phoenix Lords within 6" of the Avatar.
- 3-5 Fire Prism grav-tanks
- Models may combine fire for a special attack which is Twin-linked, with multiple profiles including a 120" Destroyer attack using the Apocalyptic Mega-blast.
Wraithknight Dreamwalker Squad:
- 3-5 Wraithknights
- Models gain a bonus to Movement, charge range, WS, and BS equal to the number of Wraithknights in the formation. i.e. 3 Wraithknights would all get a +3 to those stats.
- 1 Autarch on jetbike
- 2 Windrider jetbike units
- 1 Vyper unit
- 3+ units of either Farseer, Warlocks, Windriders, or Vypers.
- Gain Scout. All models within 18" of the Autarch re-roll To Wound rolls or Armor Penetration rolls with shuriken weapons.
These are some great formations that take light vehicles and gives them some major firepower, or combines arms using characters to really enhance the rest of the army. That special Farseer is pretty powerful, especially because any friendly units can re-roll To Hit and To Wound rolls, so it works across armies!
Grey Knight Apocalypse Formations
Daemon Hunters. Grey Knights. Whenever they gather in force, Chaos need be wary. In a standard game of 40k, the Grey Knights almost operation in Formations, in that every unit has some sort of special rule and the units synergize with each other in the hands of a skilled general. Apocalypse can only bump this up to greater levels.
Brothers of the Flame:
- Castellan Crowe (or any Castellan)
- 5 ten-man Purifier units with no dedicated transports
- One model in the formation may make a special attack every Shooting Phase: Hellstorm template, Str 2 AP 6 Assault 1 and Psi-flame... The Str and AP both get 1 better for each unit from this formation within 12" of the model using this power.
- 3-5 Dreadknights
- Pick one Dreadknights at the start of the game. That model and every Dreadknight within 12" gains Shred.
- 1 Dreadknight
- 3-5 Stormraven
- The Dreadknight every turn can fire a special attack instead of shooting normally. 48" Str 7, AP 4 and the target is marked for the rest of the battle. From then on, all shots from the formation's Stormravens hit automatically. Yep. Also, against Daemons the mark halves their Toughness or Armor Value versus mindstrike missiles and psybolt ammunition.
I really like the Extermination Force. What's not to like about auto-hit Stormravens? Well, maybe that Hellstorm attack from the Brothers of the Flame is pretty good too . . . if you have 4 units within 12", you have a Str 6 AP 2 attack on 16.5" template weapon. Heldrake say what?
Imperial Guard Apocalypse Formations
If the Legio Astartes is the scalpel of the Emperor, then the Imperial Guard are the sledgehammer. Bringing forth millions of men onto a single battlefield, they are a swarm of Imperial technology and grit.
Imperial Guard Baneblade:
- 1 Baneblade super-heavy tank
- pick one of 8 Baneblade variations
Catachan Ambush Patrol:
- 1 Infantry Platoon
- 1-3 Veteran squads
- Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Outflank. The formation has Shrouded until it moves in open ground, shoots, or assaults. Also, due to traps, enemies assaulting through cover must make dangerous terrain tests.
Emperor's Fist Tank Company:
- 10 Leman Russ Battle Tanks
- The formation leader and all tanks within 12" have BS 4. The formation may also Thunder-blitz like a super-heavy vehicle.
Emperor's Talon Recon Company:
- 1 Command Sentinel
- 3 three-man Sentinel squadrons
- Outflank. Preferred Enemy versus one unit of your choice. Formation leader and sentinels within 12" have BS 4 and Stealth.
Emperor's Wrath Artillery Company:
- 1 Chimera
- 3 full ordnance batteries.
- The formation can make a special ranged attack instead of firing separately. 24-240" Str 9 AP 3, Apocalyptic Barrage, Ignores Cover, Ordnance X equal to the ordinance models firing.
Imperial Shield Infantry Company:
- 1 Command Squad
- 3+ Infantry Platoons
- During each Break, every unit with at least 1 model automatically gain d3 models replaced.
Imperial Sword Heavy Weapon Company:
- 1 Command Squad
- 10+ Heavy Weapon Squads
- Nominate 3 enemy units every Shooting Phase. Shots from this formation against those enemy units are twin-linked.
Lord Castellan's Supreme Command:
- Lord Castellan Creed
- Color Sergeant Kell
- 1 Command Squad
- 1 Imperial Bastion
- Creed can give Orders to any friendly Imperial Guard unit on the board. The Master of Ordnance may make d3+1 bombardments. Also, this Supreme Command unit gains 2 bonus Strategic Assets instead of the normal 1.
Sanctioned Pskyer Battle Elite:
- 1 Primaris Pskyer
- 4+ Sanctioned Psykers
- Psychic Choir. Special power is Warp Charge 3 and can be a Blessing or a Malediction. If a Blessing, the friendly unit adds 6 to its Run and adds 2d6 to it's charge distance. As a Malediction, the enemy unit may not charge.
Steel Fury - Baneblade Company:
- 3 Baneblade super-heavy tanks
- If "combining fire" they get a bonus to their vehicle damage rolls equal to the number in the attack. If they are in a broadsword pattern, then enemies wishing to charge the formation must make a Morale check with -1 LD per each Baneblade in the formation.
Goodness gracious! The Imperial Guard, rightfully so, have a lot of Formations at their disposal. They have everything from foot sloggers to an entire company of super-heavies. The amount of firepower, from small arms, heavy weapons, to tank cannons, is just unbelievable. The Imperial Guard will truly be an Apocalyptic force!