Best Atari 2600 Video Games of All Time
Atari was an innovator in Video Games
Which is The Best?
Which is your favorite Atari 2600 video game?
Classic Atari 2600 Games
The Atari 2600 is a pioneer in the video gaming industry and some of the most famous games ever made were released on this console. This ever popular game console came out in September 1977. It consisted of 2 joysticks and a pair of conjoined paddle controllers and a game cartridge. The first game to come out was Combat and then Pacman. Atari was changed from the 2600 to the 5200 and the only difference was a pause button. Nintendo came along and blew this out of the water with better graphics and more features that their game system would do.
1. Berzerk (1982): You shoot lasers at robots while traveling through a maze. This is a 2D game with 64,000 mazes so it is difficult to complete. Besides the robots you also have to outrun Evil Otto, the bouncing face that can't be killed. The graphics were not great by any means but it was addicting. It was hard to beat because one hit by Otto and your character dies. This game never fully repeated itself and always mixed up the mazes.
2. RealSports Boxing (1987): This is a one or two player fighting game with 4 (four) computer opponents. You get full ring movement instead of the standard up and down movement of other boxing games of the day. After you get the other player hurt you have two knockout blows that end the fight. If your opponent counters your big punch you will go down yourself.
3. Pitfall (1982): To win you must get the 32 (thirty two) treasures in the allotted twenty minutes and if you fail you must restart from the beginning, remember there were no pause buttons in 1982. You swing on vines in the jungle and jump over scorpions. You must stand on the mouth of alligators in order to finish this side scrolling action game. This game has had a sequel on other consoles and an I Phone game app too!
4. Ikari Warriors (1989): This game featured one or two players at the same time and the game was inspired from the Rambo films. This game had two button controls, one for grenades and one for the machine gun. The game was played from the bottom moving upward and you must destroy enemy tanks and soldiers to win the war. This game was later made for Nintendo too. The game was played from a top down screen point of view.
5. Frogs and Flies (1982): The game is very elementary but fun nonetheless. Your a frog competing with another frog to see who can lash out their tongue the fastest and munch on flies. You must also leap from one lily pad to another without landing in the water. Simple one button controls.
6. Chopper Command (1982): This was a one player game in which you control a helicopter. To win you must destroy all enemies in the desert and in the sky while avoiding getting shot down. To end the game you must score 1 million points but then it just restarts at a faster pace.
7. Spy Hunter (1983): This is a one player driving game that goes vertically from bottom to top. You can shoot missiles, smoke screens and even oil slicks to wreck other cars but watch out because helicopters are dropping bombs as you maneuver down below.
8. Rampage (1989): You play as an imitation King Kong or Godzilla and climb buildings and destroy cities. The game has five cities that you must completely destroy in order to win. Also, watch out for the military and the police who are trying to stop you. Rampage also came to Arcades worldwide and was an instant hit on the quarter related games.
9. Megamania (1982): In this copy cat of Space Invaders the graphics are slightly better. You must shoot from the bottom of the screen while moving left or right. Items will fall from all angles and areas and you must shoot them all. If you get all of them you will score 1 million and complete the game.
10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1983): This along with Halloween were the first two horror based video games and boy was this game violent for it's time. You play as Leatherface and you use your chainsaw to rip through anyone that comes near your land.
Please feel free to give your thoughts and opinions on my top ten list at the bottom of this page in the comments capsule. Atari helped start the video game revolution and they made many classics during their time.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Atari 2600 Flashback Console
Atari 2600 Classics
Donkey Kong Junior
Mrs. PAC Man
Video Game Ranking
Video Game Hubs
- Best Game Boy Games of All Time
This hub features information about the Nintendo Game Boy Hand held system. Earthworm Jim, Jurassic Park, Duck Tales and Megaman 2 are also listed in this article along with maps, polls, pictures, you tube clips and commentary.
- Best Colecovision Video Games of All Time
This article features information about the first home video game console, the Colecovision. The top games including Donkey Kong, Mouse Trap and Burger Time are listed here along with video reviews, pictures, polls and commentary.
- Best Commodore 64 Video Games of All Time
This article describes the Commodore 64 Video Game system and it's top games. Navy Seals, Double Dare, Ninja Gaiden and Back to the Future 2 are listed here along with you tube clips, maps, pictures, polls and commentary are also featured in this hub
- Best Atari Jaguar Games of All Time
This article is about the Atari Jaguar 64 bit video game system and it's games. Atari Karts, Club Drive, Hover Strike and Iron Soldier are all documented here. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps, a quiz and commentary are featured in this nostalg
- Best Amiga Video Games of All Time
This s a video game hub about the Amiga computer system. Final Fight, Primal Rage, Castlevania and Theme Park are featured in this article as well as pictures, videos, polls and commentary.
- Best Sega CD Games of All Time
This article is about the Sega CD video game console and it's games. Night Trap, Sonic CD, mortal KOMBAT CD and NBA Jam are listed in this classic video game hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls, a quiz and commentary are featured here.
Atari 2600 Game Console Review
Atari 2600 Commercial
Atari is a Classic
The first gaming system I owned was an Atari and although the graphics were average the gameplay was and still is tremendously fun. Some of the most known video games ever started on the Atari console. Everyone remembers the one red button and the black joystick if you were around in the70's or 80's. It is definitely outdated but at the time it was really happening and cool.
Atari helped start a revolution that is still evolving 50 years later.
© 2012 Buster Johnson