- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
Best Handheld Video Games of all Time
Classic Hand Held Systems
The Best of the Best
There are many fantastic hand held video games but, the ones listed below stand out for multiple reasons. Be sure and leave your opinions in the comment box below.
1. Super Mario Land (1989): Original Game Boy: As Mario, you must battle through 3 Worlds in order to save the Princess. Each world has four levels in which Mario shoots fireballs at the enemies. This is one of Mario's best games ever produced. Mario or Luigi must defeat King Koopa with fireballs in the final world in the game. It's similar to Super Mario Brothers except with small differences that were made specifically for the handheld unit.
2. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (2005): PlayStation Portable-Grand Theft Auto or (GTA for short), features motorcycles, boats and even clothes changing points. This version is almost a carbon copy of Grand Theft Auto 3 as far as the city itself. The game has missions throughout. This game has been ported to other systems but, it was originally made for the PlayStation Portable. The cut scenes and the music selection while idling in the stolen cars, sets the game apart. This game became so popular that it was later ported to home video game consoles.
3. Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) Sega Game Gear: Sonic has to beat twelve total levels in this game, to finally take down Dr. Robotnik. I will always remember him because, he had skinny toothpick legs, and a bowling ball belly. As Sonic you jump, spin and flip around collecting coins and defeating enemies. It gets going fast and it is really addicting. This guy is Sega's flagship character and Sonic games are always fun for kids and adults.
4. Batman Begins (2005): Game Boy Advance: This game has cut scenes from Batman Begins, The Movie, and you play as Batman. Besides kicking, punching and the batarang, you also have the addition of smoke grenades and the bat caller, in which bats swarm all over the heads of the criminals. This game is somewhat based on the film of the same name, with slight differences and more difficult levels. Clues and maps help you navigate the city to locate criminal activity in Gotham. This game is actually very complete and in depth for a handheld game and the game play is smooth.
5. Paperboy (1990): Atari Lynx: As the paper boy, you must deliver all the newspapers for seven straight days while avoiding wrecking your bicycle. Along the way, you must avoid drunks, skateboarders, mad customers and automobiles. You only have a certain amount of time allotted to deliver these papers or the customers start to get angry. This classic set off a series of copycat games but the original idea is the best.
6. Assassins Creed: Bloodlines (2009): PlayStation Portable: This version was made only for the PlayStation Portable but, it is similar to the original version in many ways. In this game you can hide, sneak and even pick pocket people. Swords and knives, are the primary weapons for your ninja character. You also can use a whip, throwing stars and of course your learned fighting skills.
7. Samurai Showdown (1998): Neo Geo Pocket: This game has 3-D rendered graphics and Japanese culture is spread throughout the game. This game is known for the rage meter, in which players get mad and explode with fury on their enemies. Without a doubt the top game made for the short lived Neo Geo Pocket.
8. Falcon (1990): Turbo Express: This game was an air combat game in which your character a man in a fighter jet and shoot bullets and missiles at the enemy. You can fly in three hundred sixty rotations to get the oncoming planes. The Turbo Express was the Turbo Graphics Sixteen in miniature form.
9. Donkey Kong Country (2000): Game Boy Color: Your character must battle past forty one missions in this classic video game. In this game you must swing on vines, swim in the water and ride in mining carts during your adventure.
10. Jurassic Park (1993): Game Boy: In this game you must avoid being killed by dinosaurs, while saving the world by finding clues, maps and other tips. Your weapons include guns and grenades and aside from ducking and hiding your character has a jeep to drive.
Assassins Creed: Bloodlines (PSP)
Have You Had One?
Have you ever owned a Sega Game Gear?
Gameboy Color Commercial
Who made it?
view quiz statistics
Nintendo's HandHeld Games
Nintendo has always held the majority of the market share on hand held video games ever since the release of the original Game Boy. The Game Boy has constantly came out with new games throughout the years. The first system had black and white and a green color screen but, now they have thousands of colors that make the graphics great. Not to mention, the sound and game play which Nintendo perfects to a tee.
1. Game and Watch (1980) Basically a flop but, Nintendo got going into the gaming market.
2. Game Boy (1989) The hand held game system that started the handheld gaming revolution.
3. Virtual Boy (1995) An outstanding innovation for the time, in handheld games.
4. Game Boy Pocket (1996) The pocket was not highly successful because the screen was just too small.
5. Gameboy Light (1997)
6. Gameboy Color (1998)
7. Gameboy Advance (2001)
8. Gameboy Advance SP (2003)
9. Gameboy Micro (2005)
10. Nintendo DS (2004)
11. Nintendo DS Light (2006)
12. Nintendo DSI (2008)
13. Nintendo DSI XL (2010)
14. Nintendo 3DS (2011)
15. Nintendo 3DS XL (2012)
Sega Game Gear
© 2012 Buster Johnson