Best Intellivision Video Games of All Time
Intellivision Game Console
Classic Intellivision Games
There were over a hundred video games that were produced for the Intellivision. The list below is the cream of the crop and they stand out above the rest for one reason or another.
1. Commando (1985): This game is a one player army game played from a third person with a vertical point of view. Your character is an Army soldier equipped with an unlimited machine gun and a small amount of hand grenades. The game has six levels and you must destroy the enemy bunkers to win. One shot from the enemy kills your character instantly so play with extreme caution especially since the game has very few check points. Commando is loosely based on the popular film of the same name.
2. Q*bert (1983): You play this 2D puzzle game as Q*bert and you must dodge and jump away from enemy freaks as you change the square of the pyramid by leaping around. There are four enemies who will attack you but with timing you can make them leap off the edge of the triangle. This was a cute, fun, game and one of the first games that I remember. Each stage gets a little faster and Q Bert has to jump when the light blinks for him.
3. Frogger (1981): This pioneering game was fun and it still is. I know you remember this game, you and your frog must dodge cars and trucks on the interstate and then leap past alligators and snakes as you try to get to the safety at the other side. Then you cross the river on logs but do not fall in the water or it is back to the other side of the road you go.
4. Auto Racing (1979): This is a two player game shown from a top to bottom view. This gam has five race tracks to race in, which was a first at the time for a racing game. The game features Formula One Cars and when you reach fifty points you win the race. The game stores your top score at the top of the screen so you can always challenge yourself.
5. Burger Time (1982): Your a chef with pepper spray. You must build cheeseburgers by making the toppings land on the bun while avoiding three enemies including Mr. Egg. The game is silly but, it is as fun as can be. I've spent hours at a time playing this game because it's rather addicting to say the Least.
6. Dig Dug (1982): You dig through the dirt while avoiding two enemies, one of which shoots fireballs at you. You must inflate them with hot air till they burst while tunneling to the other end. The game is very simple but, like many games on this list it is fun and hard to put down.
7. Popeye (1982): The game is eerily close to Donkey Kong except that you play as Popeye and your enemy is Brutus. Although you can't jump, your character can attack and climb. After you have eaten the spinach you can rush at Brutus and throw him overboard into the water. Probably the simplest game to win at on this entire list.
8. Sea Battle (1980): You control a fleet of eight ships and you must use strategy to line up for battle. Once your in range you must battle with bullets to try to sink the enemy ships before your struck down. An early RPG video game especially as far as war games are concerned.
9. Lock n'Chase (1981): The game is an imitation of Pacman. You play as a thief who enters a maze trying to take all the money bags instead of pellets. You must avoid the four policemen or(ghosts) while trying to make your escape. You can go up, down, left and right to avoid the police and to collect dollars. I loved it and on the Atari, anyway, I owned it as a kid.
10. Demon Attack (1982): The game has eighty four levels in which you shoot up at flying demons who in turn shoot lasers at you as well. The more flying demons you destroy the faster they come at you. They also come at you from all angles.
Top Video Game Consoles in History
Nintendo Game Cube
20 Great Intellivision Games
Have You Played It?
Have you ever played the Intellivision Game Console?
Intellivision on Amazon
Video Game Consoles
Who Made It?
view quiz statistics
Video Gaming Hubs
- Video Game Review: Golden Axe
Golden Axe was first released at the arcade before later being ported to the Sega Genesis among other consoles. Several sequels were produced but, nothing beats the original. Pictures are in this hub.
- Best Apple 2 Video Games of All Time
This article describes the top games for the Apple 2 including Beachhead, Karate Champ, Techno Cop and Ms. Pac Man. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube clips and commentary are listed in this blog.
- Best Racing Video Games Of All Time
This article documents the top racing video games ever made. Pole Position, Daytona U.S.A., Rad Racer and NASCAR racing are featured in this hub. You tube videos, polls, maps, pictures, a quiz and commentary are also listed in this gaming blog.
- Best Arcade Games of All Time
This article documents the best Arcade video games ever. Included are, Double Dragon, Golden Axe and more. Pictures, polls, you tube videos and commentary are featured in this video game hub.
- Best Magnavox Odyssey Video Games of All Time
This article features the Magnavox Odessey, which is a classic video game console. Cat and Mouse, Table Tennis and Shootout are listed in this hub along with polls, pictures, video clips and commentary.
- Best Panasonic 3DO Video Games of All Time
This article is about the Classic video Game System made in the early 90s, the Panasonic 3DO. There were many good games for the system even though it's success was short lived. Golf and NBA Championship Basketball round out there tip games.
10 Fun Intellivision Games
Intellivision Was Innovative For Its Time
The Intellivision competed directly with Atari and like Atari they were pioneers in home and arcade video gaming. The joy sticks had a knob on them that allowed you to move in a more fluid motion than the joy sticks produced for Atari. The biggest issue that faced the Intellivision was that it needed better support from game developers because this console lacked game variety. The games were just as fun to play as the Atari but Atari released many more games and used lots of commercial ads which allowed them to corner the market.
© 2012 Buster Johnson