Best Magnavox Odyssey Video Games of All Time
Odyssey At a Glance
Have You Ever Played It?
Have you ever played the Magnavox Odessey?
Odyssey Classics: The first ever home video game console
Originally the first ever home video game system came out with 12 (twelve) released games. Eventually, 12 (twelve) more were released from 1972-1974. It was thought up by Mr. Ralph Baer, in August of 1966. The game console came with dice, packaged money and other things to go along with different games. The console is black, brown and white in color. It has two controllers that are attached by wires. This game console had the first ever video game light gun. This was such a break through and made the way for all other video game systems one other interesting fact is that players would have no sound. Players have to put a plastic overlay on the screen to create visuals for each game.
Their fate was doomed by Atari though and Atari eventually took over the world of video games. They just couldn't compete. This only lasted until the emergence of Nintendo and then later Sega.
1. Haunted House- This game features your character in a cart rolling side to side to avoid the ghosts that came near you. The game has 30 (thirty) clue cards and it also has secret cards. Bonus levels are awarded for fastest time navigating through the mansion. The game has spooky sounds and creepy music playing while your in the scary house. I have borrowed this game from a friend as a child. I liked it so much, that I got her to get me the same game for my birthday.
2. Shooting Gallery- Your character shoots a rifle at ducks and at targets with a bulls eye. It lets you aim up, down, left and right and has one fire button. The game is pretty entertaining even though the graphics are subpar. The sounds on the other hand are good for the game and they go well with it. The ducks go faster as you advance through the 8 (eight) stages of the game. This game is super cute and really fun for kids of all ages.
3. Cat and Mouse- You play as the mouse trying to avoid the cat by moving side to side and hiding. The cat claws and scratches at you as you move around. You also have to watch out for mouse traps especially the big ones which kill you. The cat gets faster as the game moves forward and the fame is set on a time limit.
4. Dogfight- In dogfight you shoot at enemies in rapid fire shots. It takes place in the woods. You can hide behind trees and bushes during battle with the guns. The enemies can kill you, if they hit you, with one shot so you have to be very careful. It's an easy game as long as you take cover occasionally a pay attention to enemy movements.
5. Invasion- Aliens have landed on earth and you must shoot them down and end their attacks on earth. It is played on a board game type of platform and it features a ship and two treasures. The graphics, although plain looking now, were very advanced for their time and so for that matter was the sound effects. I am surprikx
6. Table Tennis- Hit the ball back and forth, very similar to Pong. It was the first ever game made for the Odyssey. It has had many reboots since it's release but the first one is always the best. It is a one or two player ping pong game. Its very simple with horrible graphics but it's an addicting video game nonetheless.
7. Roulette- Play roulette with fake money, casino gaming chips and it is played on a colorful roulette board. The game has geat sound effects and music especially for the time when it was produced. This was the first casino style game to ever be released for a home video game system.
8. Prehistoric Safari- Watch dinosaurs and move out of the way of the T Rex. This game features side to side and up and down running to avoid disaster. The dinosaurs in this game bite your character unless you duck, jump or dodge their bites. They have several types of dinosaurs in this game and facts about each one appear on the screen during game play. This video game actually had excellent graphics for it's era.
9. Brain Wave- In Brain Wave you must shoot down the invaders and dodge the incoming. Use dice to decide the next move. Watch out for falling air craft because it can kill you, just as quick as the gun fire can. This game forces you to think and of course, take a chance.
10. Handball- Move the ball left or right then toss it. The ball goes back and forth as you sling it. You have to be alert at all times in order to win at this game. Although the graphics aren't great the fun factor based on the game play is remarkable.
* If you have ever owned a Magnavox Odyssey please let me know what your favorite video game is and why by sharing your comments in the box located at the bottom of this article. The Odyssey competed, for a short period of time, with the Atari for video game superiority.
Video Game Ranking
Video Gaming Links
- Playstation 4 Console: The Complete Review
The Playstation 4 is the fourth of the Sony PS video game systems. This article reviews the console, controllers, gameplay, graphics and other facts about this console. Pictures and videos are here.
- Sega CD: A Commentary and Pictorial History on the System's 131 Original Games
Sega came out with the Sega CD to attach to the Sega Genesis and it came out with some great games. Pictures, videos and commentary are featured in this video game article.
- Best Computer Video Games of All Time
This article is about the best computer video Games ever. Phantasmagoria, The Sims, Resident Evil and World of WarCraft are listed in this classic computer games hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls, a quiz and commentary.
- Best Racing Video Games Of All Time
This article documents the top racing video games ever made. Pole Position, Daytona U.S.A., Rad Racer and NASCAR racing are featured in this hub. You tube videos, polls, maps, pictures, a quiz and commentary are also listed in this gaming blog.
- Best Atari Games of All Time
This article is about the Atari 2600 and 7800 and the games for the consoles. Frogger, pole Position, Pitfall and Donkey Kong are all documented in this look at the classic video game system that started it all. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls
- Prison Break: Conspiracy Theory (Video Game)
This describes the video game called Conspiracy Theory which is based on the television show called Prison Break. This review is based on the Playstation 3 version of the game. Pictures, you tube clips, maps, polls and commentary highlight this inten
Odyssey Commercial 1974
Magnavox Top Products
© 2012 Buster Johnson