Welcome to Minecraft 1.8 "Bountiful" Update (New Features, New Items, New Mobs, New Biomes Etc.)
Minecraft 1.8 Release Date
There is no official release date planned or announced as of yet. Minecraft 1.7.8 hit the market on April 11, 2014 and Minecraft 1.7.9 hit the market on April 14, 2014 just three days apart. Judging by the frequency we can safely assume that Minecraft 1.8.0 will release somewhere in May 2014. Since this is a major update, I would give a month from the last update and assume a safe release date of 15-20 May, 2014. So just weeks away.
This new 1.8 update is called 'Adventure Update'. Yes, that is from the official trailer released by Mojang themselves. Watch the trailer and you would understand why it is code named the 'Adventure Update'.
Minecraft 1.8 Official Trailer
So basically this update will facilitate adventuring a lot more that mining and building - which were the mantra words of Minecraft all this time.
Also this update is unofficially referred to as 'Map Maker Update' and you will understand why, when you keep on reading...
Awesome Minecraft Creeper Mug
New Features of Update 1.8
So from here onwards we will go through the many new features, items, blocks and stuff that will be brought out through the 1.8 update.
Shaders are kind of how you see the world through different filters. There are already a lot of shaders in Minecraft, and 1.8 update will add two more - Creeper Shader (everything will look green) and Spider Shader (multi-vision, like seeing from more than two eyes).
Three new types of blocks (stones) will feature in the Minecraft 1.8 update. They are,
Granite, Diorite and Andesite.
All three blocks are shown in the picture in order. Polished version of all three stones can be created as well.
New Stackable Doors
Same amount of resources now yield 3 doors instead of 1. And the doors are stackable (up to 64) in your inventory. Thank god for this update!!!
Trading with Villagers
There are some new additions to trading with villagers to make it more reasonable.
- Offers will be less random
- Trading will give you experience
- Villagers will no longer trade Flint and Steel
- More villager professions
- White cloak - Librarian
- Purple robe - Cleric
- White apron - butcher, leatherworker
- Black apron - armorer, weapon smith, tool smith
- Fletcher (buys string, sells bows)
- Trades are more easy to conduct and improved trading GUI
F3 information is displayed better in the 1.8 update.
- Text has a background now for better readability
- X, Y, Z labels have been replaced with more sensible names
- displays difficulty stats (peaceful 0, Easy 0.75, Normal 1.5, Hard 2.25)
- looking at a block will give you NBT data about it
New type of block has been added. This called a barrier block and can be used as a fence, wall, or some sort of a barrier around an area. However this block is completely invisible or transparent and is indestructible. This block can only be destroyed in creative mode.
Bouncy Slime Balls
When jumped on top players and mobs will bounce off of slime balls. Now they can be crafted into a bouncy castle. :P No, seriously. Place 9 slime balls in the crafting guild and viola!!!
Minecraft World Border
Minecraft 1.8 will bring you a World Border. This will not give us anything, if not take away our roaming freedom. Well, that is not quite accurate. World Border is added to the furthest border of the map on all sides and mobs and players cannot pass through it. It's kind of like the world is over from that point on. This is shown with an animated texture.
World Border will be generated at 30 million blocks to all four sides from the original mid point of the map. So there is still 30*30*30 million block (27,000,000,000) blocks to explore...
and Playstation 3
Sounds awesome? Buy Minecraft 1.8 for XBox 360
Minecraft PE stands for Minecraft Pocket Edition which releases for Android - so basically mobile devices with Android.
Buy Minecraft 1.8 PE
New Crafting Items
- Chiseled Stone Bricks
- Moss Stone
- Mossy Stone Bricks
- Iron Trapdoor (needs Redstone to operate)
New Upgraded Artificial Intelligence of Mobs
Artificial Intelligence of certain mobs have been upgraded as follows:
- Witches are created when villagers are struck by lightning
- Villager will breed only if they like to...??
- Villagers will work in their farms, grow vegetables, harvest them and bake food items and share them among other villagers
- Wolfs will attack Skeletons and Skeletons will run away without fighting back
Skeletons will run away from Creepers when they are about to explode.
New AI will result in Zombie Pigmen and Endermen will path find and attack the player.
Also Giants will have armor.
Minecraft Essential Handbook
Enchating has changed quite a bit.
- Enchanting will now cost 1 to 3 levels, but you still need the same minimum total levels
- For example, an enchantment may only become available for enchanting after reaching 13 levels of experience, but will only cost 2 XP levels and 2 of Lapis Lazuli
- Additionally, there is now a material cost - enchanting also costs 1 to 3 pieces of Lapis Lazuli now (seen above)
- The actual enchantment calculation is the same
- One of the enchantments will be displayed in the tooltip
- The enchantments you would get on a tool will not change until you enchant something - this enchantment seed is stored per player
- Leveling up now takes longer
- Level V enchantments can now appear on an item without the use of an Anvil
- Looting now gives an extra 1% chance of getting rare loot per level "
World Customization (Map Maker Update)
This is probably the most important addition to Minecraft from the upcoming 1.8 Adventure update. All this time 'minecraft seeds' generated the worlds. But with this update the player will be able to generate a world of his own according to the likes of the player.
There will be four steps of customization...
Step 01: customizes generation of biomes, lava, water etc
Step 02: customizes distribution of ores such as dirt, gravel, granite, gold, redstone, diamond etc
Step 03 and 04: further customizes terrain
New Mob: Endermite
Endermite is a new mob type added to the 1.8 update and is a rare mob type. Endermites can spawn only when Endermen are teleporting from one place to another or when a player is using Ender Pearls to teleport from one place to another.
Endermites have little HP (4 hearts) and drops nothing when killed.
Now that you have seen the major changes
Do you think Minecraft 1.8 will be awesome or not?
So those are pretty much all the major changes that we expect to see in the Minecraft 1.8 update. These features can slightly different from different editions such as Minecraft Xbox, Minecraft PlayStation, Minecraft PE and Minecraft PC. But most of them should hold true to all versions.
If you enjoyed this article make sure to share it among your friends and Minecraft fans. I'm sure they will appreciate it and I know I will. Also leave a comment with you opinion on the article or about the upcoming update.
Let's make this a conversation.