Best Sega Genesis Games of all Time
Great Genesis Games
1. Altered Beast (1988): You come back from the grave in ancient Greece and have abilities to turn into a werewolf and shoot fireballs. This game came packed with the Genesis until Sonic later came bundled with it. In the end you turn into a golden colored beast with wicked powers. The Beast has to fight a main enemy at the end of each level. Even though the game itself is not that difficult it is, nonetheless, fun as can be with excellent sound effects. When I bought the Genesis in 1990 it came with this game because Sonic was not out at the time.
2. Sonic the Hedgehog (1991): This game spawned more than ten sequels of some sort. Your the Hedgehog with acrobatic skills to say the least. In this 2D side scroller you ultimately must meet and defeat evil Dr. Robotnic. You spin around in loops and over hills by picking up speed and turning into a ball. The game was very fast paced for its time and it made Mario look slow moving like a turtle. The speed and super fast spins on the loops and in mid air were ahead of their time.
3. Fatal Fury (1993): There are three playable characters in this 2D martial arts tournament game. Each fight is the best two out of three matches. You kick, punch and throw opponents and each character has a signature move. Your character and opponents are animals such as a bear and a tiger.
4. Mortal Kombat (1993): This game was controversial at the time because of it's trademark finishing moves and excessive blood and gore. In one on one fights, each fighter has specific finishing moves which are very brutal to be sure. You squirt blood from your opponents and when it's time to kill the enemy it says aloud to " Finish Him". This game spawned several sequels and even a full length feature film.
5. NBA Jam (1994): This basketball game is known for it's sound effects, soundtrack and outlandish, impossible dunks and blocks. You can play career with any of the NBA teams with actual players from the league, past or present. If you become On Fire then you can hit full court shots and what not. One of the most popular basketball video games ever made.
6. Revenge of Shinobi (1989): A side scrolling platform game in which you play as a ninja who has weapons such as a fireball, Knives, a sword and throwing stars. Your character can punch, kick, elbow and do combination kicks and jumps as you progress past the levels which has a boss to end with.
7. Pit Fighter (1991): This game is famous for it's digitized live actors being used. You fight opponents with punches, elbows, knees and kicks in a game similar to Mortal Kombat. Each fighter has his own special technique and you fight before a crowd on an elevated platform.
8. Alien Storm (1991): This game features three characters to choose from and the game has eight levels of game play. Your character can punch, kick and each has a weapon of there own. The game is rather fast paced and it only takes one shot from the enemy to destroy your spaceship.
9. Golden Axe (1989): You can play as the soldier with the sword or with the axe and you battle till you reach the ultimate boss, Death Adder. The 3 characters each has there own special powers. This game was also at the arcade and it has a sequel but nothing is better than the original.
10. Batman Returns (1992): The game has seven levels and follows the movie of the same name. Batman's main nemesis in this version of the game is the Penguin. You use the Batmobile, Bat Wing, and of course your utility belt to maneuver through the levels.
* Be sure and share your favorite Sega Genesis game title with me in the comments capsule located at the bottom of this page.
Which is your Favorite?
Which is your favorite Sega Genesis game?
Sonic the Hedgehog Review
view quiz statistics
Video Game Links
- Best Video Game Characters of All Time
This article Describes the best video game characters of all time including Sonic, Mario, Luigi, Link and Jak. Pictures, Videos, polls and Commentary are listed here along with illustrations of each.
- Prison Break: Conspiracy Theory (Video Game)
This describes the video game called Conspiracy Theory which is based on the television show called Prison Break. This review is based on the Playstation 3 version of the game. Pictures are in here.
- Best RPG Video Games of All Time
This Article documents the top role playing video games ever made. The Legend of Zelda, Dungeons and Dragons and Wizards and Warriors are featured in this video game hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed here as well.
- Best Magnavox Odyssey Video Games of All Time
This article features the Magnavox Odessey, which is a classic video game console. Cat and Mouse, Table Tennis and Shootout are listed in this hub along with polls, pictures, video clips and commentary.
- Best Sega Dreamcast Games of All Time
This article is about the best Dreamcast games ever. Incoming, Conflict Zone, Vitua Cop 2, Zombies Revenge and Soul Fighter are documented in this classic games hub. You tube videos, pictures, polls, a quiz and commentary are listed here.
- Best Atari Games of All Time
This article is about the Atari 2600 and 7800 and the games for the consoles. Frogger, pole Position, Pitfall and Donkey Kong are all documented in this look at the classic video game system that started it all. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls
- Best Atari Jaguar Games of All Time
This article is about the Atari Jaguar 64 bit video game system and it's games. Atari Karts, Club Drive, Hover Strike and Iron Soldier are all documented here. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps, a quiz and commentary are featured in this nostalg
Mortal Kombat Review
Early Blood and Gore
Mortal Kombat was one of the first video games to feature blood and gruesome violence. Sub zero would freeze his opponents and then shatter them in pieces. Scorpion would sling a rope with a blade on the end at you and pull you to him as he yelled get over here. Each character has a finishing move which allows you to completely eliminate your opponent in gross ways.
Video Gaming Console Ranking
Sega Genesis Console
© 2012 Buster Johnson