The Settlers of Catan - Board Game
The Perfect Board Game: The Settlers of Catan
What is The Settlers of Catan?
The Settlers of Catan is a board game which is sweeping the gaming world by surprise. Not only is it highly addictive, but it also is getting a reputation for taking computer and video gamers back to the traditional style board game!
Without the expansion pack, you can have anywhere between two and four players, preferably four. The games do not last for much longer than an hour. Settlers of Catan is a highly enjoyable board game that is similar and arguably somewhere inbetween the concepts of Risk and Monopoly. It involves trading and bargaining like Monopoly and board domination and clever tactics like Risk.
For those interested in the cheaper option or the one player option, Settlers of Catan can be downloaded as an App and played against the computer on Ipads or Iphones.
How to play Settlers of Catan:
The rules are very simple. There are five resources:
Each player needs to gain 10 'victory points' and to do so they must build villages or cities, gain victory point cards, have the longest road or biggest army.
You start by building roads and villages and each village equals one victory point. If you can turn that village into a city, then it is worth two victory points. Everything you buy costs resources, and certain resources are better than others in either the beginning of the game or the end of the game. You can also purchase cards which have a variety of different meanings, mostly knights (what you use to build your army) but also victory points.
There is a 'robber' on the table, and you can move him onto a space which stops other players collecting any resources from their cities or villages. In order to do this you either receive a knight card which lets you move him to a different space on your next turn or you roll a 7.
In order to collect resources, you roll the dice and each spot has a number on it and if you roll that number, anyone with a village on its borders gets a resource, or if they have a city, they get two resources.
This may all sound very complicated but Settlers of Catan is a very easy and quick board game to learn so do not panic!
Tips to win Settlers of Catan:
There are several important factors that you need to pay attention to in order to win:
- The beginning of Catan is very very important.
- Choose places which have good resources surrounding them with numbers 5,6,8,9, (4 or 10 if you must)
- Make sure you try and get as many different numbers with your first two villages as possible. That way you will get the maximum amount of resources and reduce the value of the luck of the dice.
- If you can, try and dominate one of the following resources, in this order: Rock, Crop, Clay.
- The best attack focuses on you dominating rock and crop as although you will have a harder start, they become more valuable than wood and clay in the end. It also means you can very easily pick up cards when you can't do anything else.
- If you can, try and get the port of your main source of resources, two to one exchange is very good and doesn't benefit the other players like trading does.
- Try to be clever in your trading. Don't give them something which will benefit them too much.
- If you are not winning, always put the robber where it will do the most damage to the person who is winning.
- If someone is clearly going for longest road, it might help to spend some resources blocking them off.
- Remember it is a board game which has 'settlers' in the title - the people who settle on the best part of the board have the biggest advantage.
Not winning? Try playing Settlers of Catan this way:
One simple thing which I mentioned above can really help you win the game.
Dominate the Rock and if possible the Crop.
If you manage to be the only one, or almost the only one getting the income of rock, you will almost certainly win, couple that with some crop and a port for one of them and you will definitely win. Rock and crop are superior to clay and wood even if they do not seem it at the beginning. Trust me, give it a go and enjoy the results!
Why Settlers of Catan out of all the board games?
I have played a lot of board games, and with the possible exception of monopoly when I was younger, I have never found any of them to be so addictive. It makes for a perfect Christmas present, Birthday present or Anniversary present. Kids love it and adults love it, it really is the perfect game for everyone.
I cannot recommend The Settlers of Catan enough, if you don't have it, then go out and buy it!
As always, please feel free to leave me your comments.
© Chuckbl - Hubpages - Moon Project