Dragon Quest IX: Legacy Boss Hunter - Dhoulmagus
This article will be talking about the third Legacy Boss I have unlocked in Dragon Quest IX, Dhoulmagus and how you can beat his level 1 incarnation. If you have already beaten Murdaw at level 16 (which is pretty much compulsory to get this map unless you use Tag Mode), then this fight should be a piece of cake.
Of course, I'm still going to write about it, so read on! :P
Dhoulmagus originated as the first "final" boss of Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. In that game he had two forms, the second of which is this game's Legacy Boss.
Dhoulmagus is resistant to wind attacks and weak against earth attacks (luckily for him, earth-based attacks are one in a million in this game).
In the next section, I'm going to list out my complete current party setup, which should give you a good idea of what you'll need to take on Dhoulmagus as he levels up.
My Current (Complete Party Setup)
This is going to be a painfully exhaustive list of everything each of my characters is equipped with at this time, as well as a breakdown of their stats. If you're around this range, then this fight will be a cakewalk. As mentioned in the Introduction, this party can also stomp Murdaw L.16 with little difficulty.
Winter - Level 78 Minstrel
White Knight's Shield
Dragon Warrior Gloves
Aliahan Boots - Baramos Drop
Pyro - Level 81 Warrior
Uber Falcon Blade
Aliahan Boots - Baramos Drop
Windia - Level 69 Paladin
Vesta Gauntlets - Equinox Drop
Terra - Level 68 Sage
Sceptre of Gitt
Tropotoga - Atlas Drop
Dhoulmagus' Battle Strategy
At level 1 Dhoulmagus packs the following abilities and attacks:
- Blazing fire breath. However, he rarely uses it, preferring to use other types of attacks.
- Kacrack. This mass Ice spell does a small amount of damage to the party, and is used nearly every turn.
- Kazam. Does some dark damage to one member of your party. He likes to use this at times, but it shouldn't do too much damage.
- High-speed combo. Dhoulmagus hits the party four times with a physical attack. He uses this nearly as much as Kacrack, but it's not that dangerous as long as you keep Kabuff up.
- And, of course, he attacks physically. If you can withstand the high-speed combo, his normal attacks shouldn't even phase you.
Basically, if you follow the strategy I lay out in my Murdaw Legacy Boss Hunter article, this fight should be trivial. I wholeheartedly recommend it for Mini Medal farming. :)
Well, that's about it for this article. I've decided not to mention the party battle strategy as it's pretty much a mirror of what I do for Murdaw, and Dhoulmagus at this level is less of a threat than Murdaw. If you have any suggestions or feedback, feel free to comment in the comments section. :)
Until the next time, take care and have fun! ;)
More Hubs in the Legacy Boss Hunter Series
- Dragon Quest IX: Legacy Boss Hunter - Murdaw
So, after countless days of grinding, I finally unlocked Murdaw! :D As the title suggests, this hub will be all about Murdaw and how to defeat him in his Level 1 form. First, however, I'll explain how to...
- Dragon Quest IX: Legacy Boss Hunter - Baramos
If you have arrived at this hub, then there's a strong chance that you're stumped on how to beat Baramos. Feel free to read my article on grotto exploring before you get your feet wet here, as Baramos is a lot...