- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Puzzles, Logic Problems & Brain Teasers
Word Puzzle Games for Father's Day
Do word games free up some cluttered space in your mind?
Free Online Word Games instead of Father's Day Cards?
On Father's Day, it's important to actually spend time with Dad – whether that means playing football outside, telephoning, working on a project together, eating out, or just sitting in the Man Cave with no talking whatsoever.
When you're tired and need a break, or if you want to work on something together without talking very much, this Tricky Word Matrix is a great way to enjoy being together. If you don't live in the same house or close by one another, you could still work on this free online word game over the telephone, if you both have internet access. Or you could make it a part of your Father's Day card.
Father's Day cards are a great way to show Dad what he means to you, but how about making a card that includes a puzzle you can both work and enjoy together? Was your father the person who helped you to learn logical thinking? to persevere? to face a challenge with determination and good humor? Then this is the word puzzle you need!
The point of a Tricky Word Matrix is to fill in the words from the given word list into the matrix in such a way that in each column all the words share one letter with the other words in that column; in each row all words share one letter with the other words in that row; and in each diagonal all words share one letter with the other words in that diagonal. It is a fun way to exercise your logical thinking!
Word puzzle games like this one may be something of a challenge, if you are more accustomed to word search games. Here are some tips, if you are a first-time solver:
- First find the letters that are the common letters for the columns, rows, and diagonals, even though you don't know yet where they belong; this may include actually counting how often a letter is used within the word list; you can find detailed instructions on how to start solving in this article;
- Locate the words that are made up only of "common letters";
- Deduce which central word will contain a letter from a column, a row, and both diagonals;
- Deduce which other words need more than two common letters;
- Don't forget to pay attention to the pre-placed words; they give clues to the letters needed in their row and column (and possibly diagonal);
- Determine which common letters occur in the fewest words – they will be easiest to place;
- When you have discovered which location (column, row, or diagonal) a given letter belongs in, pencil that letter in each box (each cell within the matrix) where you know it will be used, as an aid in finding the right word for that box.
Since this matrix was made especially for Father's Day, use it as a way to talk with your father about things he likes to do. See if you can find something about each word in the puzzle that reminds you of your father. Are there some words that belong in several categories? What about sports, activities, role, finances, personality? What words would you have chosen, if you had made up this matrix yourself? Tell your Dad about those words and why they make you think of him.
Happy Father's Day!