- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
How to Succeed in FIFA 18 Online: Strategies and Tips
FIFA 18 Online: Tips and Tricks
This is my advice on how to dominate the game in FIFA 18 online. These tips apply to all online modes, from Ranked matches (Seasons) to Ultimate Team. Many of the tips apply specifically to human opponents, and I hope they will help you beat your friends (and/or enemies) into the ground!
FIFA 18: Possession Tactics and Play
First things first, the only way to win is to score goals. However, that doesn't mean you should try to score with every touch: that's the wrong way to view the game. Instead, you also want to think about how to prevent your opponent from scoring, which can also be accomplished when you're in possession of the ball. If you control the game, and keep your opponent constantly on the move, they will not only get frustrated, but also possibly tire their players out. Watch a team like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, and they all play the possession game. Why? Because it works! The opponent cannot score if you have the ball (Unless you run it into your own net, but then that makes you an idiot!) and that is the premise for this first tip.
Here are a few bullet points to increase the chances of maintaining possession
- Do not always look for a forward pass. The ball can go backwards too, you know!
- Play with five in midfield. Especially if you're struggling with possession. The extra player will overload the middle third, and make keeping possession much, much easier.
- Choose a team with a high passing stat in midfield. Possession is not reliant on pace. Choose a team such as Barcelona and play their Tika Taka style of football.
- Focus less on scoring. Do not worry if you are not banging goals in left, right, and John Mensah (ex Sunderland player, sorry for the bad pun!). The point of possession is to prevent your opponent from having the ball.
- Do not constantly abuse the over-the-top ball. Doing so will only lose you possession. Pick your passes correctly, and if you can't see one, go backwards
- Shift to a slower style of play and passing. Doing so will help you keep the ball and draw your teammates closer to you.
- Have a tall striker as the lone man upfront in the 4-5-1 formation. He is your failsafe. When things go south, hit him with a lofted ball, and head it down to your two CAM's. I know it seems strange, but having a tall striker is key to keeping possession. A team such as Manchester United will benefit hugely from having Lukaku in a solo Striker position.
- DO NOT pass among the defense. The passing game should be played in the middle of the park, which allows you to constantly create chances to score. Unless it is the 90th minute, and you are 1-0 up, then pass away. Almost every team in the world will use this to ensure victory, you do the same.
Oh, and one last thing. Use the A- (Xbox) or X-pass (PS3) rather than through-balls to keep the ball at your players' feet. That will further help you keep possession.
FIFA 18: Heading and Shooting Tutorial
Heading and Shooting Tricks
Now - once you have the possession needed to push forwards and keep your opponent at bay, you will want to know how to finish properly. The difference between a winner and a loser on FIFA boils down to who can take their chances, and if your opponent is better at taking chances than you, you will more than likely lose. Now, everybody just thinks that all there is to scoring is pushing the "B" button. But there are a lot of things to take into consideration when aiming your shot, which I will detail below.
Heading can be your best friend when it comes to scoring. Now, in FIFA 18, heading is much more about positioning and timing than in previous editions of the game. If you simply just press the B button, you may find yourself not even heading the ball at all. This can be infuriating, and I often hear people complain that heading is broken on this game. Quite the contrary, if you understand how to head properly, you will be netting your crosses much more regularly.
Here are my tips for scoring finishing, followed by heading.
- Slow down. If the goal is open and you have lots of space, stop sprinting! If you continue to sprint, it will make scoring more difficult.
- Use RB correctly. Do not try to finesse it from distance. In close quarters, it can be deadly. It is designed to put the ball around the keeper, and you should use that to your advantage
- Try to hit your shot at an angle. If you shoot straight, the ball will more than likely hit the keeper. If you angle your player before shooting, especially with finesse, you will put it past the keeper no worries.
- Drive your shots at a distance. Especially with long-shot takers. Curling a shot from a distance is much more difficult than powering it past the keeper.
- Take your time. When the goal is open, take as much time as you can before shooting. The further you are out, the harder it is to make the goal.
- Learn to fake shot. If your opponents know you are going to shoot every time, they will attempt to block it. Throw in a fake shot now and again to keep your opponent guessing!
- Practice taking the keeper on. Some people insist on running their keeper out every time you bear down on the goal. Using a well-timed Right Analogue Stick push forward will put the ball around the keeper. Or a well-timed fake shot will send the keeper to the floor, creating an easy finish for you. If the keeper comes out too far, attempt to chip him. I know it is a difficult skill and takes practice. But, use LB when shooting to lob it over your opponents goalie and leave him utterly humiliated. This will also make them reconsider charging their keeper next time, giving you options.
- Pass the ball across to your team-mate. Granted doing so is heavily frowned upon, but your opponent will do it to you. It is a dog-eat-dog world in FIFA, so use everything you can to win!
- Time your headers. Do not simply hit "B" as a cross comes in, or else you will end up putting countless headers over the bar. Watch your player's timing, and learn when to jump.
- Get in front of their defender. A little known secret is that if you hold LT and RT together, you can control your players movement completely. Use this tip to get in front of your opponents defender, and you will have a better chance of beating them in the air
- Power your header properly. Too weak, and it won't beat the keeper. Too strong and it will sail over the bar.
- Try to attack the ball. You won't win the header if you stand completely still. If you are moving, you will have the ability to jump above your marker. Use this especially with smaller attackers, as they will need the extra spring in their step.
- Use the correct cross. If your player is close to the front post, use a double tap on the cross button (X) to hit him on the front post. If he is closer to the back post, use a single tap. If there are no opponents and you find yourself on the wing, triple tap the cross button to fire a driven ball across.
- Hold the LB button to put in a deep cross. Especially if your player is making a run into the box. Watch your players. If they point into the box, put it there. This is the most dangerous type of cross as your player is moving at a fast pace, creating a much more powerful header!
FIFA 18 Defense: Tips, Controls, and Strategies
How to Defend in FIFA 18
A good defensive player will use a variety of tactics to prevent his or her opponent from scoring. Defending is arguably the most difficult part of the game. Hopefully these tactics will help you bolster your defensive strength.
- Do not run your defenders out all the time. Many people fall into the trap of charging out to get the ball from the opponent. This is just counterproductive as it leaves huge gaps in your defense that your opponent can pass through.
- Focus on stopping passes. Keep your defense in formation and mark up the passes your opponent makes. Stopping passes is key to preventing the other team from scoring.
- Use the jockey tactic. Hold A while your opponent attempts to dribble past you. Do not over-use this technique as it gives the other team lots of space. But on the wing, it works to stop the players going past you or crossing the ball.
- If your opponent has a tall player, prevent the cross. If your opponent has a smaller striker, try and force him down the wing instead, as he will more than likely win the header against your centre-backs.
- Assess the team you are playing against. This is key. Knowing their tactics and what they do is half the battle. The quicker you figure out their tactics, the better chance you will have of defending against them.
- Be careful of quick strikers. They are the bane of my, and almost every other FIFA players life. Choose teams with quick centre-backs to prevent them from simply running through or around your slow defenders.
- Know your team inside out. This can be the difference between making a terrible right-footed clearance and a perfect left-footed one. I know it may seem stupid, but understanding your team is key to the whole game of FIFA.
- Do not constantly switch players to try and get the ball back. Instead, concentrate on marking the opponent closest to you and switch when you see the opportunity. Constantly spamming the switch button will only disrupt your players' defense.
FIFA 18: Dribbling Moves and Tricks
Dribbling Tutorial Guide
Dribbling and skill moves are a vital part of being a world beater on FIFA. Don't get it twisted though: constantly spamming skills just to show off is not productive and hardly ever gets you anywhere. Instead, work on skill moves that you can easily replicate and use them in specific situations where they'll be much more helpful.
Use LT when in a tight situation to turn away from your opponent. This will shield the ball, if the opponent over-commits to one side of your player, simply turning the other way will beat him.
Instead of sprinting everywhere, control your dribbling to keep the ball for longer.
Use LB in an even tighter situation to stop the ball and make the smallest touches possible. This will allow you to control every move your player makes, in turn allowing you to twist and turn away from your marker.
Skill moves are the most potent way of beating players, but overuse will just make you look foolish. Instead try to use them once or twice a game, when you know they will be effective - your opponent will never see it coming.
Always try to be unpredictable. Predictability will be your greatest enemy, so do the unexpected, even if it doesn't work all the time. Even when it goes wrong, it will open opportunities later on in the game. This is key. If you constantly do the same thing, you opponent will catch on. Instead of constantly cutting inside when you're on the wing, try going outside instead.
Choose your team wisely!
Whether you're playing Head-to-Head mode or Ultimate team, one of the main advantages you can have comes from choosing a squad that suits your playing style. If you naturally play down the wings, there is no point choosing a team with a 5'6 striker. Similarly, if you enjoy playing a passing game, don't choose a team that isn't good at passing, these are common sense rules but they should not be ignored.
- Identify strong teams within each star bracket. Each bracket contains between one and five star teams, and you can only come up against teams of that level in Head to Head seasons. As an example, Barcelona B squad is only three and a half stars, but contains players who are much faster than those in the other three and a half star squad. Another squad that is very good online is Aston Villa, due to the size of Benteke in the centre. With the speed of Bent and Agbonlahor down the wings, those three form a potent combination.
- Go for a balance between speed and strength. Remaining versatile keeps your opponent guessing, whereas using just one tactic will allow your opponents to read your play. If you have both strength and speed in your arsenal, your opponent won't know what you'll use. This unknown factor will benefit you massively.
- Use a formation that will benefit you. If you have to play with 5 at the back, then do so and ignore what other people say, especially in messages. They are just hurt that you beat them. Similarly, if you struggle with scoring goals, put three strikers upfront instead of two to maximise your goalscoring ability.
A Round up
Overall, just practice playing the game and you will naturally get better. Defeat is a natural part of anything which will only serve to improve your game. After all, how can you improve if you never lose?
I hope this helped somewhat, and if you want anything added, or my tips on another section of FIFA, please leave a comment below.