Guide To The Best Skyrim Clothing Mods
The best new Skyrim clothing mods which add beautiful cloaks, robes and outfits for Player Characters and NPCs including merchant and maids
Hi and welcome to my latest hub on Skyrim, the fifth installment in the wonderful Elder Scrolls series. Ever since Skyrim was released, hundreds of enthusiastic and talented modders have been creating wonderful mods, today I will look at the best clothing mods available. These mods will either replace existing in game clothing or introduce new clothes to the game. As with all my hubs on Skyrim, all clothing mods that I discuss will be as lore friendly as possible.
In order to install these mods, I recommend using either Nexus Mod Manager or Mod Organizer to manage, install and check your mods for updates as well as to organise your mod load order.
I have a hub that introduces Nexus Mod Manager, which is a brilliant utility that is:
- Simple to use
- Has a great user interface with pre-configured mod categories
- A built in download manager linked to Skyrim Nexus
My hub on Nexus Mod Manager can be found here:
Mod Organizer is a more advanced utility that has a number of unique features:
- Profiles allow for multiple configuration files and installed mods
- It detects mod conflicts and load order problems
- All mods are installed separately, which keeps the game folder clean and allows mods to be removed easily
Improved NPC Clothing by Baron David, a Skyrim mod that improves the look of all default NPC clothing
The first mod we are going to look at is the Improved NPC Clothing mod as well as its expansion. Both are written by the modder BaronDavid and aim to replace all the vanilla clothing textures in Skyrim with new high resolution ones.
You can see from the screenshots above, the mod improves the textures without changing the overall look of the clothes. The colours are more vibrant while remaining close to the default ones. The detailing is excellent and the clothing textures are much more defined. It is for this reason that you should use this as a base mod to ensure that all clothes in Skyrim are improved and also look consistently good.
2X Clothing Re-Mix – Kobayashi’s Mix, a Skyrim mod that improves the look of all default NPC clothing
The second mod is another mod that replaces all the vanilla clothing textures with higher resolution textures. Ideally, you should choose one mod or the other, but by manually installing specific parts of the mod you can mix and match if you like. Unlike Improved NPC clothing, the author Kobayashi345 has gone for a more realistic look. Beggars, farmers and miners clothing is all dirty as you would expect given their jobs. The author has also gone to great lengths to balance increasing the resolution of textures without impacting performance.
I would recommend this mod over Improved NPC Clothing if:
- You have an older PC and are concerned about game performance
- The dirtier look appeals to you
Both mods are excellent and it comes down simply I believe to a personal preference. You can see the effect of 2X Clothing re-mix above. If you are using either Mod Organizer or Nexus Mod Manager, you can install them one at a time and decide for yourself which look you prefer in game. Now, we will move onto mods that replace specific clothing or add new clothes to Skyrim.
Cloaks of Skyrim a mod that adds high quality cloaks for both NPCs and Player Characters
The first mod we will look at is the excellent Cloaks of Skyrim mod by Noodles. This hub adds almost one hundred cloaks to Skyrim. Cloaks from this mod:
- Are added via crafting
- Can be found in the possession of a number of NPCs including guards
- Are also to be found in loot
Not only can these cloaks be worn without the need to remove any other clothing or items, they also give you protection against the cold. If you play as I do, the excellent Frostfall mod (to learn more about Frostfall, check out my hub on that and a number of other excellent immersion mods that can be found here: http://robbiecwilson.hubpages.com/hub/The-top-Elderscrolls-V-Skyrim-Immersion-mods-available-Wet-and-Cold-Frostfall-and-Realistic-Needs-and-Diseases) then these cloaks will be an essential item of clothing for your Player Character.
Opulent Outfits a Skyrim mod that adds beautiful and high quality mages robes, merchant and maid clothing
This mod replaces a number of clothing sets in Skyrim to a very high standard indeed. The mod is written by BaboonCru and comes in several parts.
The first part upgrades all Mage robes in Skyrim and is an essential mod if you are choosing to play as a mage character, although as the robes are so beautiful I would recommend that you install them regardless of your character class.
The second part is a texture replacement for maid and merchant NPCs throughout Skyrim. You can see an example of the standard of this mod in the picture to the right. The clothing added by these mods is simply beautiful as you can see.
Elaborate Textiles a clothing mod to improve Redguard outfits, Yarl’s clothing and Wedding Dresses in Skyrim
A number of Non Player character’s clothes are retextured by this mod created by Miss Obsidienne. Along with those retextures, there are a number of optional retextures that I would also install. These include replacements for:
- Redguard Outfits
- Wedding Dresses
- The Yarl’s clothing
Once again, the standard of these mods is truly wonderful and makes such a difference to how the NPCs you share Skyrim with look.
Monk Robes Revamp and Wizard Robes Revamps, a series of Skyrim clothing mod to greatly improve the robes worn by monks and wizards in Skyrim
The next mods that we will look at today is a series of mods by Lind that replaces the clothes worn by the priests, priestesses and wizards in Skyrim. The author of this mod has completely remade the robes including a new rope belt and a tiered gown effect. The screenshots below shows just how good the robes now look! These mods are excellent and the quality of the textures is excellent.
Frost Mage Robe a Skyrim Clothing mod that adds beautiful mage robes to Skyrim
The last mod I will look at today is a beautiful craftable robe for your Player Character. The mod is made by DenassaG. These textures are simply beautiful and are superbly detailed. They are 4096x textures, but will run on any decent PC. If you are a mage character, I would thoroughly recommend installing this excellent mod.
In today’s hub, we looked at replacing the vanilla clothes worn by Non Player Characters (or NPCs) firstly with a higher quality mod that replaced all textures. There are two alternatives:
- Improved NPC clothing which replaces all clothing for NPCs with high definition, high quality textures that make all clothing in the game look significantly better
- 2X Clothing Re-Mix – Kobayashi’s Mix is another total replacer mod, this time though the author balanced any improved textures with performance. The changes are not as striking as Improved NPC clothing, but they are an improvement on vanilla and are perfect for those of us with older PCs
The choice between the two is largely a personal choice between the look of both mods as well as whether performance or graphic quality is more important to you.
Next, we looked at a number of excellent mods that built on the work done by the total replacement mods and improved specific clothing or clothes for specific people in game.
- First, we looked at Cloaks of Skyrim which adds almost one hundred cloaks to NPCs. They are also available to player characters, either by killing the owner of a cloak, or by finding them in loot
- Next, Opulent Outfits introduces beautiful mage robes to Skyrim and also updates the clothes of maids and merchants
- Elaborate Textiles updates the clothes of a wide range of NPCs, improving their clothes still further while still retaining the vanilla look
- Monk Robes Revamp improves the look of the clothes worn by the priests and priestesses in game. These clothes have been rebuilt from the bottom up and they really improve on the vanilla clothes worn by these NPCs
- Lind's Court Wizard Robes - Blue Robes Texture Replacer enhances the look of the wizard's robes in Skyrim. The mod is also available in red, grey and brown variants
Many thanks for reading, I hope that you found some mods here that when added to Skyrim have helped to make it beautiful and made your game play more immersive and enjoyable. Please feel free to leave any comments you may have below.
© 2015 Robbie C Wilson