- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Toys for Kids
Homemade Texture Box
An Idea of Doing It
Making texture box is not as easy than I thought. In the first place, I din't have any idea on how to construct it. What I know was, I feel I can do it. It was just a matter of trying and putting ideas together.
Everyday, I gather some information about how textures can help to the child's development from different persons who works from a daycare, friends, early childhood educator and of course searching from the internet. I also started to gather some materials that can be useful in making my project right.
How Textures Helps in Early Childhood Development?
An infants may not able to say things but researchers proved that their senses are ready in exploring things around them. It has been also proven that when a child's senses are regularly stimulated the faster that child will develop.
When a child expose to the different textures like the smoothness and roughness of the materials their cognitive development is enhance. This is the sense of touch develop. The sense of touch is one of the key element of an infant to contact with the world around them.
Textures introduces and also enhances their fine and motor skills and develop the child's consciousness.
Material ImagesClick thumbnail to view full-size
- empty small box of any kind (preferably strong box not lumpy)
- colored felt shits or any clothing materials
- sand paper
- thread for sewing (machine or by hand)
Homemade texture box can be played by the child even at early age or start from ages 6 months to 18 months and even older.
Ø My 3 year old daughter is very interested in playing the texture box after I finished making it because she is attracted to the different colors. The feeling when she touches the figures of each side, she said “it tickles and comfy”. Aside from that, it also created sounds.
- Prepare all the materials needed for making the texture box.
- Draw or print shapes or images you want to put on every sides of the box.
- Cut the desired pieces of the materials such as felt sheets or any clothing materials, foams, sand paper. Use the stencils you made to make it easy.
- Sew the pieces together if you know how to sew or glued it together if you don't kow. Do it for each figure in each side of the box.
That's it and your done! If there is no interruption when doing this project this well be finish in just 1 day. For me, I finished it in two days.
Homemade Texture Box Finish Product
How this homemade texture box contributes to the development of the child?
Almost all of the nerve cells are present when the child is born but most are not connected in networks. The connecting process is rapid particularly the activity of the brain. Areas of greatest growth are sensory-motor, visual cortex and the frontal lobes. Play reflects the development of brain areas which is what Piaget called “practice play”.
Sight, sound and touch are to be introduced in this homemade texture box to the child. The colorful materials and the common figures attached to it are the striking zone where the child is to be attracted to. The different textures of the materials used can enhance their curiosity and they begin to feel or know the concept of cause and effect when they touch it. As an educator, it is our concerned how we can help the child’s development in different domains. In my opinion, I created this homemade toy which will help to the development of the child physically, emotionally and cognitively.
- Physically as when the child tried to reach and touches the box. This implies that a child shows basic distinction in vision, touching and perceiving things as a sign of early physical development.
- Emotionally, when a child is attracted to its colors and the curiosity arise, which made the child give efforts in touching the box. It is also where educator can show or can talk to the child about what the child see on each side of the box.
- Cognitively, when the child started to realized and understand that it is not only an empty box, however it offers so many things.
Early book can also help the child’s development in cognitive domain. Here are the cognitive connections of the child;
Ø Early literacy
Ø Language and vocabulary
Wh-questions ( who, what, when and why)
I added on one side of the box, a homemade book. This is optional, but I added it because I believed that it also added more interest to the child. As we all know that books especially for the little one, early book is an excellent and fun way for children to discover and name objects. They also learn that pictures represent real things. The book that I made, the child can manipulate to turn pages and grasp the pages thus it will also contribute the development of the child in fine motor skills and gross motor skills. Aside from that, this is a great for early interactive experience.
As a parent safety for the child is very vital for us therefore, I choose materials that are non-toxic and friendly for the child. Make the child comfortable and feel that they are important. Help them develop each domain and provides foundation for learning.
Side 1 - House
Image of the house is the first side view of the texture box.
House is a common figure which can be easily be recognized by a child even at an early age. It contains different shapes that will develop their skills in early literacy and too add more to it, I used different colors to give more attraction.
The textures consists of different materials such as;
- Felt sheets on the big triangle and siding with the purple color.
- The yellow background is a cotton material as well as the small square that represents windows of the house.
- foam - green and orange are the body or structure of the house and door.
Side 2 - Sun Flower
Flower is another common figure that every child can identify easily.
The sun flower consists of different textures such as;
- red petals are made of felt sheets
- the yellow circle in the middle is a piece of scouring pad
- the leaves are also scouring pad, color green
- the stem and the background are felt sheets
- purple sidings are felt sheets
Side 3 - Fish
Fish is another common image. I choose the orange color as to represents Nemo. A fish which is very popular to children. The orange body is made of foam, the black stripes and the neon green are felt sheets.
The feelings of this image when you touch is a tingly-like.
side 4 - Dog
Dog is also a common figure that every child loves it.
This is supposedly "Clifford The Big Red Dog" however, it transforms into "Clifford the Sandpaper Dog". Why it happens this way, maybe because the materials I'm using is not too friendly to me. So, I twist it. Instead I made the red material as the background and the sandpaper is the dog.
Well, the feeling when you touch this image is mixed, the feelings of roughness and the comfort.
This was the most difficult image to make I guess. It took me almost four hours of making it.
Side 5 - Shooting Star & Heart
Two magical figures that represents love and innocent dreams of every child. Different soothing materials that adds to their curiosity.
Side 6 - Book
Book is very important tool for learning. The early we introduce it to the child, the early and fast they learn and develop their skills in discovering things.
I named this book as "My First Book". It consists of only five pages that introduces from letters A to E and an images represented on its first letter.
Early book really helps the child's cognitively, it will also helps to develop the sense of touch, their vision as well as hearing skills because this homemade texture box will also produce sounds when the child started to play and beating it like a drum.