- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games»
- Video Wargaming
HotS Facts - Terran Earliest Buildings and Unit Timings
This hub aims to detail the fastest times you can reach certain tech paths (and so naturally the fastest time you can switch to another tech) when playing as Terran.
A comparison hub for Protoss is available here and using this information you can accurately understand the mechanics of PvT, timing attacks, and why some build orders work and others don't.
Because the above would take hundreds of hubs to fully detail, I will leave the analysis of mechanics up to you, feel free to describe them in the comments section at the end and I will give my opinion on what you say.
Constructive criticism is always welcome.
Terran Unit Production Times
Of course, knowing only the building construction times wouldn't be that useful to you, so here are the Terran unit training times you need to know! [Updates as they change - February 31st]
- SCV - 17 seconds
- Marine - 25 seconds
- Marauder - 30 seconds
- Reaper - 45 seconds
- Ghost - 40 seconds
- Hellion - 30 seconds
- Siege Tank - seconds
- Thor - 60 seconds
- Viking - 42 seconds
- Medivac - 42 seconds
- Raven - 60 seconds
- Banshee 60 seconds
- Battle Cruiser - 1 minute and 30 seconds
- Hellbat - 30 seconds
- Widow Mine - 40 seconds
As for Important Research Times:
- Stimpack - 170 seconds
- Combat Shield - 110 seconds
- Concussive Shells - 60
- Weapons upgrade and armour upgrade +1: 160 seconds
- Weapons and armour upgrade +2: 220 seconds
- Weapons and armour upgrade +3: 220 seconds
Construction Times for Terran Buildings and Units
Before continuing, it may be worth your time to refresh your knowledge of Terran building construction times.
- Command Center - 100 seconds
- Orbital Command upgrade - 35 seconds
- Planetary Fortress upgrade - 50 seconds
- Supply Depot - 30 seconds
- Refinery - 30 seconds
- Engineering Bay - 35 seconds
- Armory -65 seconds
- Fusion Core - 65 seconds
- Ghost Academy - 40 seconds
- Barracks -60 seconds
- Factory - 60 seconds
- Starport - 50 seconds
- Missile Turret - 15 seconds
- Sensor Tower - 25 seconds
- Bunker - 40 seconds
Earliest Time to Finish Terran Tech Buildings
Using the above information you can deduce the following facts about finished building times:
From having a supply depot it takes a minimum of:
- 2:00 to get a Factory
- 2:50 for a Starport
- 3:10 for an Armory
- 0:35 seconds for a missile turret - which means that if a DT is in your base and you have no engineering bay you must suffer a whole 35 seconds of DT harass.
- 1:45 for a Ghost Academy
The following include the fastest time in which a Terran player can react to something he sees out on the field. This is an unrealistically short time however and players must factor in how much pressure is being put on the Terran and the state of his economy.
Switching Techs from Barracks play:
- Factory (65) -> Starport (60) -> Reactor (50) -> 2x Vikings/2x medivacs (42) 3:37
- The above can be done in about 35 seconds less time if a reactor was made available for the Starport by building it on a Barracks or Factory.
- Ghost Academy (40) -> Ghost (40) @ 1:20
- Ghost Academy (40) -> Moebius Reactor Research (80) done @2:00
- Tech Lab (25) -> Concussive Shells (60) done at 1:25
- Tech Lab (25) -> StimPack (170) -> 3:15
- Tech Lab (25) -> Combat Shield (110) -> 2:15
Note: the typical 'standard' time for the first Barracks to finish is @2:45, so you can see now the very earliest times (mechanically) that certain things can happen in the game.
Note2: the (numbers) in brackets are the production times for the buildings/units preceding them.