How to Change Xbox Gamertag
The gamertag associated with your Xbox account is how friends will find you, and it's the name that other users will see associated with you. Microsoft makes changing your Xbox gamertag easy, and lets you do it one time for free; changing your gamertag beyond that will cost you. There are a variety of reasons someone may want to change their gamertag. You may have picked your gamertag when you were younger, but now that you've grown up you'd prefer one that sounds more adult. Your gamertag may reflect something you no longer believe in or are associated with. Or, you may just get tired of your gamertag and want to change it to change it. Regardless of why you want to change your Xbox gamertag, you can start the process to make the change by accessing the Xbox website on your Web browser.
Steps to Change Xbox Gamertag
- Open your Web browser and navigate to www.xbox.com. The Xbox Live Account website appears.
- Click "Sign In" in the upper right corner of the screen. The Xbox Live Sign In window appears. The Xbox Live Sign In screen will be green.
- Enter the email address associated with your Xbox Live account, and then click the green "Next" button. A prompt for the password associated with your account appears. Alternatively, you can use the phone number associated with your account or a Skype ID associated with your account to sign in.
- Enter the password associated with your Xbox Live account, and then click the green "Next" button. You'll be returned to the Xbox Live home screen, where you'll now see your gamertag and profile picture in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click your gamertag in the upper right corner of the screen. A drop-down menu appears. You'll see options for seeing messages you've received through Xbox Live, viewing your profile, viewing the status of your Xbox Live friends, and more.
- Click "Xbox Settings" in the drop-down menu. The Xbox Settings screen appears.
- Select "Change Gamertag," either beneath Xbox Settings on the left side of the screen, or beneath Xbox Settings in the center of the screen. The Change Gamertag screen appears.
- Enter the new gamertag you'd like to change to in the Enter Your New Gamertag field under Change Gamertag, and then click the green "Check Availability" button. If the gamertag you entered is taken, a message in red lettering will appear directly beneath where you entered the gamertag notifying you that the gamertag you entered is taken and that you need to try another one. Additionally, you'll see suggested, available gamertags similiar to the gamertag you requested. Alternatively, if the gamertag you enter is available, the green Check Availability button will change to read Claim It!
- Click the "Claim It!" button if you want to claim the gamertag you entered that is available. Your gamertag will be updated immediately.
How to Change Xbox Live Gamertag
© 2017 Max Dalton