How to Have a Fun Time with Your Pet Rock
Is A Pet Rock Right For You?
Many people overlook the benefits of owning a pet rock. Like any other pet, a pet rock can be therapeutic and relaxing for the owner. A pet rock:
- Provides companionship
- Instills a sense of responsibility
- Is low maintenance (therefore, stress-free)
Unlike a dog, cat, bird or other animal, a pet rock is easy and cheap to care for. They don't require food, vaccinations, grooming, exercise or special equipment.
They can be kept in any dwelling. This makes a pet rock the ideal solution for the pet lover who lives in an apartment or who is on a tight budget.
Other people who may be perfect candidate's for rock adoption include:
- The elderly--rocks cannot trip a senior citizen, nor do they need to be walked.
- Children--pet rocks are practically indestructible.
- Forgetful people--no more worrying about whether the cat has been fed.
- People with allergies--no pet dander when you own a rock
- Busy people--pet rocks will forgive you when you don't have time for a belly rub.
- People with mean landlords--No pets allowed? A pet rock is easily disguised as a paperweight.
- People with mean neighbors--pet rocks won't head next door to do their business. They won't dig up flower beds or make noise either.
So you see, almost everyone can and should be a pet rock owner. You may be interested, but you may have questions as well. Before committing to a pet rock, many people want to know if a pet rock is actually fun, and just what they can expect to do with this exotic companion.
Pet Clothing is Okay For A Pet Rock
A pet rock loves to be dressed up. You can knit, sew or crochet a variety of special outfits, such as sweaters and hats for your pet.
You can also re-purpose old socks to make tube sweaters for larger pet rocks. Always keep a rock's ego in mind, and stick with neutral colors if you don't whether your pet is a boy or a girl.
Are Pet Rocks Fun?
A pet rock is not very interactive. Some people may think this means that rocks are boring. This is simply not true. It is the owner's responsibility to initiate fun and engaging activities that you and your pet can enjoy together.
With all of the money you will save on not having to buy leashes, collars, carriers, etc., you can afford to have more fun with a pet rock than you could with a furry pet or reptilian companion.
In this age of customization, a pet rock can be much more trendy and fun than a poodle or a fish. If you don't like your pet rock's current look, it can be altered easily and painlessly with just a Sharpie pen or some stickers.
Boy or Girl Activities
Arts and Crafts
Choosing The Best Pet Rock
You can buy a pet rock, but remember, you may be supporting illegal "gravel mills" if you do. Instead, adopt a stray. Not all rocks make good pets:
- Shale--very brittle and shortlived. Not a good choice if you want a lifelong companion.
- Sandstone--very crumbly and rough. Doesn't like to be petted.
- Precious stones--too valuable. Your pet might be stolen.
Choose a nice, smooth, rock that has character. Smooth stones like to be decorated. Bigger stones are more visible and fun.
Outdoor Activities With Your Pet Rock
Take your pet rock outdoors frequently, where it will be, so to speak, in it's element. Pet rocks can be leashed trained easily, but it is better to carry them.
Small pets can of course fit in your pocket or a special carrier. Larger pet rocks may like to be pulled in a wagon. Feeling eccentric? Try a baby stroller.
Parks and Lakes
Take your rock to the park and coax it to try the swings or the slide. Let it enjoy the scenery, let it share a picnic with you.
This is good one-on-one bonding time. Be wary of swimming activities. Although your rock likes to get wet, it cannot swim, and will sink in deep water.
Like to dig in the dirt? Take your pet rock with you. Let it bask in the sun, or cool off in a patch of soft clover.
Spray it with the water hose occasionally to prevent heat stroke or dehydration. Be careful! A rock that has been in the sun too long can burn your hand when you pet it!
Want to remember all the special moments you share with your pet rock? Take your rock to several landmarks and other places of interest.
Snap a photo and place it in a "pet album". Examples might include:
- By the state line sign
- By a local monument
- In front of a historical building
- In a state park
- By a statue
- At a tourist hot-spot
There are many other ways to enjoy your pet rock outdoors. If you are not a particularly active person, that is okay. Your rock will enjoy napping near you in the hammock too.
Pet Names For Your Rock.
Don't be lame or obvious. There are probably millions of pet rocks named "Rocky". Give your pet a special name!
Fun Indoor Activities
Not the outdoors type? That will be fine with your pet rock. In fact, he or she will prefer lazing about indoors.
It will keep you company while you pay your bills or wash the dishes. Afterwards, consider some of these activities:
- Movies--pet rocks love any type of movie, and it will never want to go outside during the best part.
- Tunes--Don't stereotype your pet. It likes more than just "rock" n roll. Play some music and relax together, or pump up the volume and dance together.
- Arts and crafts--Here is where your rock can actually take part in an activity. He can hold down papers, press glued objects, prop things...the possibilities are endless. While you are crafting, make your pet his own house and pet bed.
- Makeover day!--A fun one for the ladies. Take this time to doodle designs on your pet, add glitter, glue on rhinestones, or try out new make-up. Your pet rock can be blue, pink, orange...multi-colored. Just use paint, nail-polish, or permanent marker. Try google eyes if you want to add personality. It can be scrubbed off or painted over on the next make-over day.
- Conversations--Looking to debate an issue with someone who won't argue back? Try your speech on your pet rock. Or if you just want to muse aloud, the pet rock is an excellent listener.
- Games--Whereas "Rock, Paper, Scissors" probably won't amuse your pet rock, it might interested in a game of "Quiet Mouse" or even chess. You may have to move the tokens for him or her, but after you have gotten to know your pet, you will understand what move it wants to make next.
- Parties--This is where your pet rock will really shine. Invite friends to any type of party and your rock will love listening to the conversation.
Have you ever owned a pet rock?
More About Pet Rocks
Practical Jokes and Other Hilarity
Are you more interested in keeping a pet rock for the sake of gag jokes? Don't worry, your pet rock won't be offended if you have a few laughs at his or her expense.
Here are some ways to use your rock to get the best of your friends and family:
- Pretend It Is Real--Want to draw a few stares? Take your pet with you everywhere. Insist that he or she is real, and that your pet be included in all family functions. Sign your pet's name on all the Christmas cards. Let it ride in the shopping cart when you buy groceries.
- Share The Fun--When your pet has babies (see photo), be sure to give them away to everyone you love.
- Talk In Public--Chat with your rock in the beauty shop, on the bus, at the office, in a coffee shop. Bonus points if you order a coffee for your pet as well.
- Creep People Out--Have a pet rock with really big google eyes? Make sure that it is always staring at people. Perch it near a snoozing relative. Have it appear in the shower. Hide it behind cabinet doors.
Relax and Enjoy Your Pet
No matter what you do or where you go, your pet rock can join you. There is no limit to the fun you can have with your pet rock.
You can simply keep her in your pocket, or you can go to the extreme and create a whole universe for your new best buddy.
How much or how little you enjoy being a pet owner is up to you. Your pet rock will have very little to say on the matter.