- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Toys for Kids
How to Make a Purse or Handbag for Barbie (Without Sewing!)
All fashion plates need accessories, and Barbie is no different. How can one be a trendsetter if they can’t find the right purse?
But never fear…
I will show you how to create a multitude of purses for your Barbie using nothing but a tiny square of material and some glue. And the best part? If you lose these purses, you can easily make more and for next to nothing!
Materials You Will Need for a Barbie Bag
This project requires:
- A piece of material (whatever you like), 2 inches square. I like wallpaper or upholstery samples for this because they have more weight and body than regular paper, and because they often have unusual or raised finishes, making them perfect for our favorite fashionistas!
- A hot glue gun or white glue
- A decorative “closure” (optional)
Making a Clutch Purse for Barbie
- Place your cut material in front of you, with the correct side face down.
- Measure about .25 inch from the left and right sides, fold toward the center, glue along the edge, and stick.
- Fold the bottom edge about .5 inch from the top edge, glue along the edge, and stick.
- Fold the top edge over, and glue in the center.
- Optional: glue a small bead, sequin, rhinestone, bow, or other decorative piece in the center so it looks like a closure.
And you’re done! It took about one minute, and poof! Barbie’s got a brand new bag!
Do you make accessories and clothes for Barbie, or do you buy them?
Suggestions for material:
Because this accessory takes so little material, it’s ideal for leftover scraps of pretty much anything.
- Wallpaper book samples (to match your Barbie’s wallpaper clothes!)
- Upholstery book samples
- Scrapbooking or heavy wrapping paper
- Fabrics of any kind
Making Customized Barbie Purses
There are so many ways to gussy up these bags:
- If you like, add a chain or strap to the clutch. Make a smaller bag and affix a jump ring to its corner for a wristlet, or glue straps to the inside of the bagbefore folding over the final flap and gluing it in place.
- For a larger bag, simply cut a larger square.
- For a differently-shaped bag, change the proportions: increase the width for a wider, more rectangular bag or the height for a taller, narrow one.
- Stuff the bag with a small amount of batting, yarn, or paper for a fuller look.
- Glue feathers or another exciting type of trim across the bottom or on the top flap for an exotic look.
- Cut a scalloped or pointed edge using pinking shears or craft scissors
- Significantly heavier than paper, upholstery samples are especially good for larger bags.
- Or, make a really large rectangular piece into a well-stuffed pillow! (You wouldn’t want Babs to be uncomfortable, would you?)
These would also be great for other fashion dolls, like Monster High or Bratz dolls. Because you don't need to do a lot of measuring, these are especially easy for kids to design. Assist them with the hot glue gun though, or provide regular white glue for sticking.
Ideas for Play with Barbie Bags
Besides simply having the hats with which to accessorize your dolls, consider these ideas for play:
- Set up a bag or accessory shop like the 1982 Barbie dream store series
- Match a handbag to a Barbie hat made from a K-cup!
- Make Barbie a bag to match your personal favorite
- Why not make a purse for each outfit in Barbie's closet? As the quintessential well-dressed woman Helen Gurley Brown said,
"You can be better dressed when you own a lot of stuff."
Where Can I Find Wallpaper or Upholstery Samples?
Many crafters already know – finding the right materials can be expensive. It’s unrealistic and wasteful all around to buy a yard of fabric for a tiny project that only requires five inches.
So get friendly with your local paint store and ask to put your name on their call list for the next time they are clearing out their outdated sample books.
If you get really lucky, they might have some in the back of the store already, just waiting for someone like you.
Buying Handbags for Barbie
Of course, you could always just buy your favorite diva some handbags, but the odds are high that they will not be as sharp-looking or sophisticated as something handmade, by you.