How to Make an Easy Homemade Nerf Gun
Make a Nerf Blowgun
Easy Homemade Toy Gun that Shoots
Want to make your own toy guns for yourself, or maybe for a crowd at a birthday? Easy my easy instructions for a cheap a toy blowgun that shoots Nerf darts. Includes directions for a gun stock, hopper and party games to play with Nerf Blowgun.
Materials for Easy Nerf Blowgun
Materials for Easy Nerf Blowgun:
- Schedule 40 PVC pipe (or electrical 1/2 inch) cut into 2 1/2 foot lengths (a 10 foot PVC pipe will make 4 guns)
- measuring tape
- sharpie for marking pipe
- Saw or Pipe Cutter
- Decorations: Electrical tape, Duct tape or stickers (optional)
- Darts: any Nerf dart works in the gun but off-brand Buzz Bee darts have a better suction and work best (plus, they are cheaper to buy for a large group)
Instructions for Easy Nerf Blowgun
- Measure the PVC pipe into 2 1/2 foot sections. Mark with a pen or pencil.
- Cut the PVC pipe with a saw or Pipe Cutters.
- Decorate the guns with electrical tape, Duct Tape (camo works great) or stickers
- Shoot your gun by putting in a dart and blowing. Practice to see how far you can shoot. Try shooting at targets, or shooting as far as you can over a lawn.
Easy Stock for Nerf Blowgun
Make a basic version to start, then make it better by creating a stock to make it look like a gun and to make it easier to shoot.
Materials for Easy Stock:
- 1/2 inch PVC "T" joint
- 3/4 inch PVC elbow joint
- 7-8 inches of 3/4 inch PVC pipe
- 3/4 inch end cap
- hot glue or PVC piping glue
- Follow the video and the pictures to put the stock together. It is a good idea to fit the pieces together an attach them to the gun before you glue them.
- The top of the 1/2 inch "T" joint fits inside the 3/4 inch PVC elbow joint
- Put the 7-8" piece of 3/4 inch PVC into the other side of the elbow joint and glue.
- Add the 3/4 inch end cap to the PVC pipe.
- Attach the final side of the "T" joint to the gun and adjust it so it fits comfortably on your shoulder.
- Use a rubber mallet to pound pieces together tightly, or else attach with hot glue or PVC piping glue.
Constructing Blowgun Stock
Nerf Blowgun Hopper
Make a Blowgun Hopper
A Blowgun hopper will automatically release a new dart for you to shoot. The hopper requires a little more engineering skill. You will need to use a hacksaw or other tool to cut the "T" PVC connector and will need to be able to glue it back together at an angle.
Materials for Blowgun Hopper
- 1/2 inch "T"
- 6-12 inches of 1/2 inch PVC pipe (schedule 40).
- 1/2 inch end pipe
- hacksaw or other cutting tool
- Duct Tape and hot glue
- Mark a "V" shape around the "T" pipe to show where to cut (don't cut all the way through). use the picture above as an example.
- Cut the "V" out with the hacksaw.
- Move the cut out part slightly to the right to get the angle shown above. Duct tape it in place while you adjust the angle and try it out.
- Attach the PVC pipe to the end of the piece you cut out. Attach the "T" portion to the blowgun.
- Cut some nerf darts to use in the hopper. Put them in and blow. See if the darts flow in smoothly. If not, adjust the angle until they work.
- You can leave your hopper duct taped or you can make it stronger by holding the pieces together with hot glue.
Nerf Darts for BlowGun
Party Games for Nerf Blowgun
How Far Can You Shoot? Line everyone up on the grass. Give everyone 5 darts (put names on darts with sharpie if you want to tell them apart). Have everyone shoot their darts as far as they can. Whose went the farthest?
Target Shooting: Make a Target (use dry erase marker on a glass window, or use a large piece of paper you've drawn a target on). Mark different points for each circle (10 for outside, 20, 40, then 100 for bulls-eye).Take turns shooting darts at the target using 3-5 darts for each player. Player with the most points wins.
Knock 'em Down! Put some empty aluminum drink cans or lightweight plastic figures on a board or table. Have players in two teams. Each team has a certain number of darts to use. All players on a team shoot at once to try to knock the figures down. Then put the figures back up and it is the other team's turn. Team that knocks the most down wins.
Nerf War: My kids play this game all the time. They do not actually play for a winner. Instead the object is to try to hit the other team more than you get hit. It works on an honor system to say when you are hit. Since you are never "out" in this game, it helps to keep people honest. Divide into two teams. Give each player the same number of darts. Object is to try to get as many "hits" as possible on the other team. Play inside a large area or outside. It helps if there are objects to hide behind. After you have used up your darts, you may re-load by picking up any darts you find on the ground. End when everyone is exhausted, or at a designated time.