14 Tips on How to Safely go AFK in an Online Game
Why is it important to go AFK safely in an online game?
Some online games can have permadeath (permanent death), or could cost you other items or resources if you die. If you have to go AFK, then it's important to do so in a way that doesn't hurt you in-game.
Going AFK in an Online Video Game
Leaving your keyboard in an online game can be a costly mistake if done at the wrong time. Steps have to be taken in order to prevent something unfortunate from happening while you are away from the keyboard (AFK).
This articles covers how and when you should go AFK in a video game.
Going AFK in a Spawn Room or Town in an Online Game
One of the safest areas to go AFK in will be the spawn room. Spawn rooms typically only allow team members from the same side to inhabit the room, making it a safe and easy place to walk away from your keyboard. There can be two types of spawn areas:
- Initial Spawn Room. This room is where players of the same side meet up, get together in groups, and head out to start assaulting the enemy territory. Not all games will have this. Persistent worlds will have this room, but other games like Call of Duty or Team Fortress 2 won't have that. Instead they will have spawning areas in a map that you can AFK in.
- Base Spawn Rooms. This room is typically in a base that has been taken over. This could be in a hot area and the enemy could be all around. If you are playing a game that causes bases to flip sides, it could be a very dangerous spot to go AFK.
- Towns. Most other MMOs have towns that you can AFK in, as long as player versus player attacking can't happen in them. If you are in a city where player versus player combat is allowed, then find a place where players tend not to go when going AFK.
Going AFK in Vehicles in an Online Game
If you are stuck in the middle of a map, with no clear and quick way to get back to a spawn room, then a vehicle can be your next option. There are a few choices:
- Turrets or other vehicles that you can get in at a base. If you are in a hotly contested area, this won't be a good idea, as that can get you killed easily. However, going AFK in a turret will not be as obvious as a tank or aircraft. The only downside is that you are not firing the turret while AFK, inhibiting the base defenses.
- Tanks. Tanks, bikes, and other ground vehicles can be good to go AFK in if you drive to a secluded spot. But if you are caught while AFK, you and your precious vehicle can be destroyed. Plus a friendly may not know you are gone, and could get in the vehicle waiting for you to take action.
- Aircraft. Anything that flies can be good if you can find a way to hover in mid-air when you go AFK. Other aircraft have a chance of finding you, and could quickly shoot you down. Ground vehicles with anti-craft could do the same as well.
- Other transportation in MMOs like World of Warcraft provide zero protection from going AFK unless it's a flying mount. There aren't many games that allow for being attacking while in mid-air, so flying usually works in games like that.
Going AFK Anywhere in an Online Game
Sometimes you have to go AFK right away and you aren't near a spawn room, vehicle, etc. then you have no choice but to find a good spot to go AFK in.
- Find a hiding spot. Find a corner to hide in if you are in a base, tower, building, etc. Try to move to the back of the building, if possible.
- AFKing in the open world. If you are out in the open, then find a tree, a mountain, etc. that you can hide yourself against. Just ensure you are in friendly territory if you have to do this.
- AFKing in enemy territory. If you are in an enemy territory, try to move away from it as much as possible. If not you will most certainly find yourself killed. Also avoid spots where players tend to populate.
Have you ever killed another player while AFK or as a result of being AFK?
Other Tips for Going AFK in an Online Game
Here are some more tips when you need to go AFK in an online game:
- Some games don't always have a safe spawn zone to go AFK in. Once you spawn, you could be vulnerable, especially if players are spawn camping. So try to keep your AFK's brief.
- Tell your teammates. If you plan to go AFK, tell your teammates. They will do their best to protect you and won't blame you if something bad were to happen if they know ahead of time.
- Quit if you plan to be away for awhile. If you plan to be away for awhile, or something comes up that might keep you away longer, then log out of your game. If the game automatically re-spawns you, you could get yourself killed over and over.
- You can set a trap while AFK. Sometimes players like to taunt those that are AFK. In cases like that, you can act AFK for awhile then ambush the player who thinks you are really AFK.