- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
How to buy Wollmeise yarn online - all about updates
All about the Wollmeise
If you are a knitter, a crocheter or any other sort of fiber enthusiast chances are you've heard of, and lusted after Wollmeise yarn. If you aren't familiar with this independent wool dyer after you've checked out all the beautiful colors she has on offer at rohrspatzundwollmeise.de chances are you will be a fan.
But getting your hands on the good stuff can be hard to do. Wollmeise is a one woman show and she can only dye so many skeins at a time. With the yarn in such high demand, it can be a challenge to get your hands on it. So here are a few ways to score some of this gorgeous yarn.
Buy direct from Germany
I've found this to be the most reliable method of getting Wollmeise yarn. If you are in Europe, this is definitely the best way to go as shipping is relatively inexpensive and the timing of the updates will coincide with your schedule. If you are in the US or elsewhere don't worry Claudia (the Wollmeise) will ship to anywhere in the world.
When to do it
The Wollmeise website is generally updated on Fridays. There are usually two updates.
Update 1: usually happens around 8 - 9 am GMT+1. For those in the US this means about 2-3 in the morning on the East coast and around midnight on the West coast.
Update 2: usually happens around 5 pm GMT+1. For those in the US this means about 11 am on the East coast and about 8 am on the West coast.
How to do it
1. About 1/2 an hour before the update is set to go live, go the the Wollmeise Website. www.rohrspatzundwollmeise.de Click on the yarn animation and then select "shop" at the bottom right of the page.
2. If you need the page to be in English, click the little American flag at the top right of the page.
3. Refresh the page every few minutes until you see the screen go grey.
4. Once the screen goes grey you have about 15 minutes before the update goes live. Refresh as often as possible.
5. If you see a screen with flags, keep refreshing. This just means there are lots of people using the server.
6. Once you get into the update, add items to your cart quickly and check out. Everything goes very quickly so you have to be on your game.
Buy from the Loopy Ewe
If you're in the US, this can be the easiest way to get a hold of some Wollmeise.
How to do it
1. Sign up to receive email from the Loopy Ewe for update times.
2. About 15 minutes before the update time, go to the site and refresh repeatedly.
3. Once the yarn goes up on the site, buy right away - it goes within minutes!
Buy or trade with someone else
An easy way to score some Wollmeise, particularly if you are looking for a specific color can be to buy it off someone else.
How to do it
1. If you aren't already a member, join up at ravelry.com.
2. Click the yarns tab.
3. Type in Wollmeise in the search bar.
4. Look for yarns that are for trade or sale and send a message to their owners.
5. Work out payment and wait for shipping.
Buy from the Brick and Mortar Store
Wollmeise has their own brick and mortar store. If you're not from the area, getting there may be a little out of your budget but if you're already planning a trip, it might be worth a stop. The store is in Pfaffenhofen near Munich in Germany. You can find details about opening hours and directions here.