How to play World of Warcraft for free
Get the most out of WOW
This is a quick guide on how to play World of Warcraft (WoW) for free. For those of you who are unfamiliar with WoW, it is a popular massive multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG) It offers an easy to use gaming interface, friendly community, as well as fun and rewarding content. For those of you who are already familiar with WoW, you probably already know that along with the initial game price, there is a $13 monthly fee to play.
One of the problems players have with the regular World of Warcraft is the monthly fee. Another problem is the amount of time it takes to reach the maximum level as well as reach high-end game content. It often takes players weeks, even months to max out there character and only a few can even dream of being the best.
In this guide I will not only show you how to play World of Warcraft for free, but also how to have any level 70 class with epic gear, and get to experience end game content.
The way this works is through private servers. A private server is a server separate from Blizzard and is hosted by another indivudal . Private servers require have no sign up fee, mothly payment, or requirements. It's free to join and play.
There are several kinds of private servers.
- Blizzlike: This type of private server offers experience and item drop rates similar to Blizzard servers. Blizzlike servers include working instances, raids, pvp, quests, tradeskills, and often battlegrounds. They also have up to date content or are only a patch behind Blizzard servers. If you enjoy Blizzard Servers, but want to play for free, this may be the server for you.
- High-Rate: This kind of private server offers increased experience and item drop rates. High-rates also include working instance, raids, pvp, quests, tradeskills, and often battlegrounds. Some High-rates also offer PvP everywhere and teleporter NPCs. If you enjoy Blizzard servers but would like to level faster and get more drops, this may be the server for you.
- Fun: Fun servers offer the most freedom to players, leveling to 70 is instant and Teleporter NPCs making traveling easy. They often contain custom content, such as items, quests, zones, and instances as well as events hosted by GMs. In addition they often have item malls with a wide variety of weapons, armor, mounts, and tradeskills items. If would like to experience everything World of Warcraft has to offer without spending months of time, this may be the server for you.
- Multiple servers: Some private servers even offer multiple types of servers all under the same provider. These can be the best because you can log onto different types of servers while still using the same user name/password.
Because private servers are hosted separately from Blizzard, you can't get banned on your Blizzard account for anything you do on a private server.
Aside from being free, private servers can offer players experience and knowledge that can be applied in the real game.
- Private servers can allow players to experiement with gear and talents builds that can be applied on Blizzard Servers.
- Priavte servers can also be a great experience for early raiders before they get involved in a serious raiding guild on live servers.
Joining a private server is quick and easy. In the next few steps I will show you how to find and join a private server so you can get in on the fun.
Before you get started
Install World of Warcraft and Burning Crusade. If you already have these installed, then you are good to go.If you don't make sure you have both World of Warcraft and the Burning Crusade installed before patching and connecting to a private server.
1st step: Finding a server
2nd step: Patching
Make sure your Word of Warcraft is updated to the supported patch for your desired private server. Some servers are up to date with regular Blizzard servers, however most are not, so it is important to check what patch the server supports before trying to join.
To find out what patch you have, open World of Warcraft and at the login screen look to the bottom left of your screen. It will show what patch you currently have.
3rd step: Connecting
Once you've found a server you like, it's time to connect. Some servers will offer a step by step guide on how to connect on their websites, however some do not, so I will show you what you need to do.
- Sign up for an account on the private server. Account set-up requires basic information and can be done from the specific private server website. In the links below, you can register for a free account from some of the provide servers I have suggested. Make sure to write down your information so you don't forget!
- Change your realmlist. This is the only step that requires any work. Each private server has a specific address that works like a url, this is their realmlist address. To play on a specific private server, you need to change your realm list to match theirs. Realmlists are usually found on the homepage of the private server site or in a connection guide. In the links below, I will provide some realm lists for some of the better private servers.
Here is a quick step-by-step on how to change your realmlist.
Here are a few of the top servers
Click the link to register and use the realmlist for the appropriate server to log in and play.
Wowscape This server offers 5 different realms, Funserver, Blizzlike, Blizz-Highrate, Instant 60, BG-PvP.
Wowscape's realmlist: set realmlist logon.wowscape.net
Wowfusion This server has a lot of custom content as well as a Blizzlike and High-rate/funserver with item mall.
Wowfusion's realmlist: login.wowfusiononline.com
ToxicWow Offers high-rate, mid-rate, and low-rate servers along with up to date content
ToxicWow's realmlist: set realmlist logon.toxic-wow.net
WowBeez Fun server, Instant 70 server, and high-rate server. Also includes item mall, season 4 arena, custom starter gear, and taxi teleporter system.
WowBeez's realmlist: set realmlist wowbeez.no-ip.biz
ChaosCrusade The coolest and most unique private servers out there. Chaos Crusade offers two types of servers, a high-rate fun realm with custom content, item mall, and teleporter. The other is an instant 70 Battleground realm, which is unlike any other realm offered. It allows players to engage in huge Alterac Valley battles, earning gold for killing enemies or completing tasks. The gold can then be spent on items in the item mall. The best part is all the items are up to date with Season 4 arena and Sunwell items.
ChaosCrusade's realmlist: set realmlist login.chaoscrusade.com
The Most Common reasons for not being able to connect...
- The patch you are currently using is outdated or not supported by the servers.
- Your "realmlist.wtf" does not have the correct IP
- Can't login after creating account
- The server is down.
- An error has occurred which corrupted your game files (run the repair.exe found in the Warcraft directory).
To solve these problems...
- Make sure your game client has the required patch for the server you want to play on. For example, WowScape -> 2.4.3. (To see your current patch, open WoW and look in the bottom left) If you have patched to far, you will have to downpatch in order to play on some of the private servers.
- Double check your realm list and make sure it matches the required text file for the server. Also anytime you update to a new patch or repair, the realm list is reset. It is impoprtant to check after updating a patch. Also make sure to save your realmlist after you edit.
- You need to wait for your account to be activated on the server, this can take up to 10 minutes.
- If the server is down, there isn't much you can do. However, you can always try another server while it's down.
- Using the repair.exe can remedy this, only use this as a last resort
What do you think?
I'd love to hear your thoughts. If you have any questions or would like to voice your opinion, please do. If you enjoyed this hub or found it informative, be sure to give it a thumgs up. Happy Hubbing!