List of Hotwheels Movie Car Diecasts in 1:64 scale - Part 1
Diecast replica of famous and iconic movie cars
Looking for hotwheels movie car diecast? Are you into collecting diecast collectibles? Fond of movies, action scenes, adrenaline rush high speed chase? If you answered “Yes” to all these questions, then you’re in luck as this post is all about movie diecast car collecting.
Some ground rules before we begin showcasing the awesome and relatively cheap movie car diecast:
- Diecast featured here are all in 1/64 scale
- Most movie diecast featured here are from Hot wheels but may include a select few from other manufacturers such as Tomica, Matchbox, Greenlight, Jada, and Joyride which will be stated for easier reference of the reader
- Will try to mentione on which part of the movie the actual car of the diecast replica appeared
- The list on this post is not final and will be updated regularly with new releases or discoveries
- For obvious reasons, movie diecast vehicles featured here are only memorable movie cars. This means that movie cars included on this list may have left an impression or awe on the viewer
- I already have in my collection most movie car hot wheels diecast cars on this list :)
- Don't forget to follow through with Part 2 hotwheels movie car diecast hub whose link is provided at the end of this post.
What to expect on part 2 of this series?
- Main vehicle used in the movie "Drive Angry" featuring Nicolas Cage (hidden movie car)
- Movie car used by Dominic Torretto (Vin Diesel's character) after the ending credits of the first TF and TF franchise.(hidden movie car)
- Ducati that exploded in the movie "The Losers" (hidden movie car)
- Hotwheels Mars Rover Curiosity - diecast model of the one sent by NASA in Mars (official movie car part of Hot wheels regular line)
- USS Enterprise from Star Trek (official movie car part of Hot wheels regular line)
- Angry Bird and Minion Pig (official movie car part of Hot wheels regular line)
- Bruce Wayne diecast collection (combination of both hidden and official diecast models)
- Bruce Almighty Saleen S7 (unofficial or hidden movie car diecast)
Movie Diecast: The Ecto-1 of Ghostbusters from Hotwheels
Here we have an iconic movie car. This Ecto-1 hot wheels car from the movie Ghostbusters is a diecast replica dream come true for many collectors as it is in their wish list for the longest time.
Hot wheels first released a diecast model of Ecto-1 in 2009 as part of its regular line. Though the stock Ecto-1 seems bland and simple, a little modding improves it a lot. Unfortunately, hoarders are everywhere that this cheap movie diecast whose SRP is 99 cents, will sell no less than 3 times its value at online stores and hobby shops.
Some additional interesting facts about this particular Ghostbusters vehicle diecast model:
- Hotwheels has released a more accurate representation of this Ecto1 diecast on their retro series, red line club, and hotwheels collectors club
- This model is a diecast replica model from the first movie
- Johnny Lightning toy manufacturer has released the Ecto-1A in 1:64 scale in singles and in diorama (Ecto-1A is from the second live movie of Ghostbusters)
- Hotwheels has released a diecast version of Ecto1 in 1:64, 1:43. and 1:18 scale. JL has released it in 1:64 scale, while JoyRide has released it in 1/12 scale.
Hot wheels Movie Diecast: Hal Jordan’s 71 Dodge Challenger
This hotwheels car is used by the character Hal Jordan (played by Ryan Reynolds) in the early parts of the movie Green Lantern. Naturally, he did not use the car when he gained his power of flight. Though the car is not heavily used in the movie, it surely caught the attention of any American muscle car fan.
This is an official Hotwheels movie car as can be seen from the Green Lantern logo on the upper left portion of the card. This means that Hotwheels may have entered negotiations with the movie makers to print the particular logo and market this car as such.
KITT and KARR from classic Knight Rider
Next we have a diecast replica of an iconic TV car from the 80's KITT and KARR. It is amazing how Hotwheels were able to grab license for these two vehicles but it is a dream come true for many diecast collectors.
Hot wheels first released these two cars in the Japanese market known as Charawheels. However, Hotwheels 2013 retro series lineup also includes these two awesome movie car diecasts.
Movie Diecast: BTTF’s DeLorean
Movie Title: Back to the Future
Surely, anyone born in the 80’s would have remembered this iconic car from the Back to the Future franchise. Unlike Will Smith's red GT500 in the movie I am Legend, this diecast DeLorean replica plays an integral role in the movie as it is the time machine used by Doc Emmet and Marty.
The ones featured below are official movie cars from diecast manufacturers Johnny Lightning and Hotwheels - the latter releasing this particular diecast model in its original lineup (first edition), retro series, San Diego Comic Con series, RLC, etc...
Hotwheels Back To The Future
Scooby Doo Where Are You?
Another TV theme car diecast replica released by Hotwheels this year is the Mystery Machine from the kiddie show Scooby Doo. The details are quite nice as it has excellent paint job and has rubber tires.
The Dark Knight's Tumbler
Since the Dark Knight is such a big movie hit, the Tumbler diecast featured here is also one of the best movie diecast replicas around. Still by Hotwheels from halfmoon packaging.
Additionally, Hotwheels has released "The BAT" diecast replica on 2012 as well as toy maker Matchbox. Since there are numerous batman diecast vehicles, yours truly opted to make a separate hub for this one titled "Batmobile Diecast Model Cars- Hotwheels Movie Cars Part 3"
For those who have not seen the movie The Dark Knight Rises, FYI please for some spoiler alert: the tumbler (camouflage version) fell to the wrong hands which is the reason why Batman is forced to use The BAT as well as the Batpod
Johnny Lightning Hollywood on Wheels
This section will highlight Hollywood on Wheels movie car diecast released by Johnny Lightning.
Hollywood on Wheels is quite popular and is on the wish list of many diecast collectors because of its amazing details, rubber tires, and good selection of cars from different famous movie and TV shows.
Below are some samples of Johnny Lightning's Hollywood on Wheels
JoyRide / ERTL Fast and Furious Diecast
Toy manufacturer JoyRide / ERTL has also released numerous movie car diecast - but my personal favorite are the ones from their Fast and the Furious lineup. This toy manufacturer has produced diecast replicas starting from the Fast and the Furious 1 up to the 3rd installment - Tokyo Drift. While Hot Wheels has recently released various vehicles in their Fast and Furious lineup (some of which are posted below)
The most hard to find FnF diecast is Suki's Pink Honda S2000 and the Honda S2000 of Johnny Tran.
The Road Warrior Mad Max Interceptor
Anyone who saw the movie would surely recognize the bad @$$ Ford Falcon Interceptor of Mad Max. AutoArt made amazing detailed replicas of the said vehicle and of course, a price tag worthy of such magnificent diecast model.
The 1989 Keaton Batmobile Diecast FIrst Edition
What we have here is the 1989 Batmobile movie diecast version starring Michael Keaton. This is one of the most iconic movie cars around and one of the reason why a lot of collectors started with the hobby.
Fun Fact: DC has recently released an animated movie called The Dark Knight Returns. The Batmobile used in that movie is also the hotwheels diecast featured on the right.
Movie Diecast: Lucy’s Thing – Volkswagen Type 181
Movie Title: 50 first dates
Brand: Matchbox 1:64 diecast movie car
Used by the character of Drew Barrymore in the film 50 first dates, the VW Type 181 enjoyed more movie time as it is the main car of Lucy (name of Drew’s character)
I am Legend Movie Diecast
Here is a red 2007 Shelby GT-500 diecast replica used in the movie I am Legend which starred Will Smith.
Similarl to Hal Jordan's Dodge Charger, this movie car did not enjoy much airtime but the short span that it was featured was enough to make the car chase scene memorable.
Vanilla Sky Diecast Movie Car
Another memorable movie car is the Ferrari 250 GTO from the movie Vanilla Sky. This Hotwheels diecast is a small scale replica of the Ferrari used in the said movie. Unfortunately, this classic Ferrari was crashed on the movie. Who would ever forget a classic Ferrari that enjoyed little air time and will eventually be crashed.
Note - even the expensive diecast Kyosho replica below is not officially licensed as a movie diecast car
Magnum PI 1:64 diecast
Not actually a movie car but more of a TV series diecast vehicle. The Ferrari 308 GTS is heavily used on the Magnum PI TV series
Manny Pacquiao's Ferrari Italia
Not actually a movie diecast car, this is more of a celebrity diecast replica. The gray Ferrari 458 Italia is a small scale replica of the Ferrari 458 Italia bought before his hard-won fight with Dinamita Marquez.
Trivia: It is reported earlier this year that Kobe Bryant also bought a red Ferrari 458 Italia. The red version of the 458 is the vehicle form of Autobot Dino from the movie Dark of the Moon (3rd installment of the Transformers movie franchise)
Sideswipe ROTF diecast
Hotwheel's version of the Corvette Stingray is a more accurate diecast representation of Sideswipe in the Revenge of the Fallen - 2nd installment of the Transformers movie franchise
Fast and Furious 4 Nissan Skyline
Of course, no movie car diecast list will be complete without the vehicles from the movie hit franchise The Fast and The furious. Featured on the right is Brian's ride in the fourth installment of the movie franchise Fast and Furious - a blue Nissan Skyline R34.
The A-Team Van Hotwheels Diecast
Who can forget such a memorable car from a memorable movie (my parents told me that this is also a big TV series hit of the 80's). Though BA's A-Team van got smash on the movie, for sure, my diecast movie car will be kept securely in my movie diecast collection cabinet
1970 Pontiac GTO movie diecast
The two yellow 1970 Pontiac GTO memorable movie cars on the right are replicas used on the movie Dazed and Confused and Two Lane blacktop. Though both vehicles are of the same model, one distinguishing feature can be noticed on the side tampo.
The one used by Two-Lane Bblack Top is by Hotwheels while the other one is by Matchbox
small scale Audi R8 movie diecast car
What we have here is a movie diecast replica of the Audi R8 popularly (but shortly) used by Tony Stark in the movie Iron Man. Interestingly, Audi R8 is also a memorable movie car as it is the vehicle mode of the decepticon Sideways from the movie ROTF (Revenge of the Fallen). It is also the getaway car of Steve Carrelle’s character from the movie Date Night. The Audi R8 featured here is from toy car maker Matchbox.
List of hidden / unofficial movie cars from Hotwheels
- Demolition Man
- Jack Reacher
- The Fast and The Furious 1, 4, 5
- Initial D - have also written an initial d diecast hub titled: Initial D Diecast Collection Rare Toy Collectibles
- Fifty First Dates (found here)
- I am Legend (found here)
- Charlie's Angels
- Soundwave (Tomica)
- Autobot Dino (Transformers DOTM)