Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 Challenge #7: Go Berserk (with Heavy Hitter Achievement)
Your opponent has no creatures at all, but he has a wall of traps and bottlenecks you need to get through. In addition, if you win by dealing more than 200 points of damage you win an achievement and an avatar profile for whatever game system you're using.
Your opponent has four Trip Nooses (Artifact, pay 2 mana and tap to tap target creature) and Crawlspace (Artifact, no more than 2 creatures can attack). He can, and will, tap four of your creatures to prevent you from attacking with them.
You have an army of giant creatures on your side: Baloth Woodcrasher (4/4, gains +4/+4 whenever you play a land), Dungrove Elder (9/9, Hexproof, has a power and toughness equal to the number of forests you have), Multani, Maro-Sorcerer (10/10, Shroud, has power and toughness equal to the number of cards in all hands), Heedless One (2/2, Trample, has power and toughness equal to the number of Elves in play), Drove of Elves (6/6, Hexproof, has power and toughness equal to the number of green permanents you control), Primalcrux (Trample, its power and toughness are equal to the number of green symbols on cards you control). You have some very powerful cards in your hand and a lot of choices to make.
(Note: the solution presented here is not the only solution, but this will also earn you the "Heavy Hitter" achievement)
Still want to try to solve this on your own? These tips can put you in the right direction.
- He has many ways of tapping creatures, but he won't use them until you declare an attack
- You have many ways of untapping creatures
- Berserk is massively overpowered, and gets stronger the later you wait to play it
- You have a lot of creatures who have power greater than 10 or can easily become greater than 10
- You can use an ability to tap a creature in response to the Trap trying to tap it
- Play the Forest
- Play Quirion Ranger
- Play Mossbridge Troll
- Play Khalani Hydra (it's free because of how many creatures you control)
- Play Instill Energy on Mossbridge Troll
- Activate Mossbridge Troll's ability by tapping Primalcrux
- Activate Mossbridge Troll's ability again by tapping Drove of Elves
- Activate Mossbridge Troll's ability once more by tapping Dungrove Elder (it should now be a 65/65)
- Untap one of the either Primalcrux or Drove of Elves using Quirion Elf's ability (return a tapped Forest to your hand)
- Activate Mossbridge Troll's ability again by tapping the creature you untapped in step 9 (now an 85/85)
- Begin Combat Phase, opponent will use his traps on Mossbridge Troll, Baloth Woodcrasher, Heedless One, and Khalani Hydra
- In response to the final trap activating (it should be on the Khalani Hydra for some reason, even though it has summoning sickness) pause the action and activate the special ability of Instill Energy to untap Mossbridge Troll
- Still in response to the final Trap's activate Mossbridge Troll's ability one more time by tapping Multani, Maro-Sorcerer and Khalani Hydra
- Let everything resolve
- Cast Berserk on Mossbridge Troll's (now a 210/105)
- Attack with Mossbridge Troll
- Win, Achievement Unlocked
Do you care about achievements?
You can check out guides for the remaining ten challenges from the list below, or go to the master list to find a complete list of guides for both the 2013 and 2014 incarnations of Duels of the Planeswalkers.
- Command the Dead
- Gird for War
- Battle Tactics
- Blood is Life
- Defeat the Troll
- Sliver Strike Team
- Go Berserk
- Near Death
- Get a Grip
- Sliver Infiltration