Mibology is Latin for the study of marbles, a growing hobby among baby boomers, nostalgic for childhood toys. Not a mibologist yourself?
Here's some facts to educate you:
- 300: The years a marble tournamount has taken place in Tinsley Green, England, on Good Friday weekend.
- Pontil: The rough spot on a marble where it was sheared off the glass cane from which it was created.
- 1905: The year the first marble-making machine was created by American inventor Martin F. Christensen in Akron, Ohio
- Knuckling Down: The term for resting the knuckles on the ground during the act of shooting a marble.
- Mexico: Where more than 90 percent of the world's marbles are produced today.
- Four: The number of major factors that determine a marble's value: type, size, condition and eye appeal.