Model Railroad Secrets - Modeling A Garden Scene
Scale Vegetable Gardens
Bring your homes alive with a scale veggie garden
Ever see a model railroad layout where the buildings just seem to be stuck this way and that? They don't seem belong to the scene? Well you need to give your buildings a reason to exist and bring the entire scene to life by adding details around the buildings that make it seem live in.
For houses a great way to bring a scene alive its to add a vegetable garden. Drive around this summer and take a look at the houses in your neighborhood. People do more with their houses than live in the structure - they live in the yard. Planting a vegetable garden in the front or back of a house makes the scene look vibrant and active.
Luckily there are some very detailed foliage and model products available these days to pull off a very convincing garden and it can either be for vegetable of flowers. Products from Noch, Busch, JTT and Woodland Scenics can be used to pull off a very realistic garden scene.
Scale Vegatable Garden Resources
- Scenic Express! The Largest Selection of Scale Model Railroad Scenery on the Web.
The Largest Selection of Scale Model Scenery on the Web.
- Trees, bushes, grass and flowers for model scale railroad and dioramas
Scale bushes, hedges, flowers, grass, ground cover and vegetation for your diorama, model railroad or scale model scenery
- How to article on modeling a cabbage patch
Scale Garden Products
Tips For Building a Scale Garden
- Look around your spice rack for ideas. Ground spices and dried leaf spices can be used as ground cover or as scale plants.
- Look in the bulk food area of your local supermarket. Seeds or dried peas can be used as scale cabbages.
- If the scene is in the foreground plan on purchasing some highly detailed plants for up close inspection.
- Keep in mind a figure bent over weeding or leaning on a hoe can add a lot of character to a scene.
- Build a small garden shed, fences and add a critter or two like scale rabbits to add some humor to the scene.
Other Model Railroad Hints and Tips
- Model Railroad Buildings - Using Cork Tiles As Rubble Foundations
Tips for building model buildings.
- Modeling Basics: Working with Model Styrene
Build model structures from scratch with styrene.
- Using Free Plans to Build a Scale Model Building
How to scratch build a farm stand in O scale.