- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games»
- Roleplaying Video Games»
- Western Roleplaying Video Games
Fallout New Vegas Sniper Rifles
Sniping in Fallout New Vegas is a lot of fun, and while many rifles in the game can be modified with a long range scope, that's just not the same as the real deal.
Here's a little bit about the Sniper Rifles that are available to you. Find them/buy them and start wreaking havoc from a distance, no modification required.
- Has the highest Critical Chance multiplier of all the Sniper Rifles at x5
- Can be repaired with standard Varmint Rifles
- Uses 5.56 Ammo
- Is equally the lightest Sniper Rifle when picked up at 4.5 kg's (standard Sniper Rifle can be modded to be lighter)
The Ratslayer may very well be the first Sniper Rifle you find in New Vegas, and it also has lowest attribute requirements, of all of the New Vegas Sniper Rifles requiring only a Strength of 3 for Optimal use. You can find it in Broc Flower Cave (roughly between Novac and Camp Searchlight) which is not all that difficult for a low level character to get to in the early stages of a game. The Ratslayer is a Unique fully modified Varmint Rifle that is slightly more powerful than the standard Varmint Rifle.
- Is Locked in a Very Hard Footlocker requiring a Lockpick skill of 100 to open.
- Requires Guns skill of 75 and Strength of 6 for optimal use
- Uses .308 ammo
- Can be repaired with standard Sniper Rifles.
- Condition deteriorates slower than other Sniper Rifles.
- Is the most valuable Sniper Rifle in the game.
Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle
Another Unique weapon. The Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle is a pre modded variant to the Sniper Rifle and is located not too far from Broc Flower Cave at the Snipers Nest. It can be obtained early on in the game. While it comes modded, it cannot be silenced. A single shot does slightly less damage than a standard sniper, however with a slightly quicker reload time it can do a little more damage over time.
- Can be modified with Sniper Rifle Suppressor to reduce Noise, and Sniper Rifle Carbon Fibre Parts Reducing its weight to 3 kg.
- Requires Guns skill of 75 and Strength of 6 for optimal use.
- Can be repaired with other standard Sniper Rifles
- Uses .308 ammo
- Has the smallest magazine capacity of all the Sniper Rifles of 5 rounds.
The standard Sniper Rifle can be found in a few locations in New Vegas, however these are locations mean that the player will almost certainly be between level 10 and 20 (depending on play style) before these locations are reached. Camp McCarran and Vault 34 are probably the first 2 locations you will come across where Sniper Rifles can be looted from. These destinations are very very difficult to get to alive as a low level (below level 10) character. It comes as no surprise then, that you cannot purchase a Sniper Rifle until you are at least level 11, from the Gun Runners, or Level 14 to buy one for 188 Trading Post.
- Requires Guns skill of 100 and Strength of 6 for optimal use
- Uses 5.56 ammo
- Is repaired with other Marksman Carbines
- inflicts the second highest amount of Damage Per Second of all of the Sniper Rifles.
A semi-automatic carbine with scope attached, means high speed sniping, which is good for dealing with moving targets. It also means that the Marksman Carbine is more than handy when the fight gets a little bit more up close and personal. You can buy one from the Gun Runners after hitting level 16, and also from the Brotherhood of Steel bunker in Hidden Valley after gaining permission to purchase weapons from their armory. You can loot the Marksman Carbine from a few locations in New Vegas, including the Vault 34 Armory, and in a room in the Nellis Array.
- Has the highest capacity magazine of all the Sniper Rifles at 24 rounds
- Inflicts the highest amount of Damage Per Second of all the Sniper Rifles
- Uses 5.56 ammo
- Requires Guns skill of 100 and Strength of 4 for optimal use
- Is the second most valuable Sniper Rifle in the game
- Can be repaired with the Marksman Carbine
The All American is a unique Marksman Carbine, with a higher capacity magazine, and scope with slightly more zoom than the marksman carbine.
You will find the All American in the Armory of Vault 34, just be careful as if you go there with a human companion they may pick it up before you do, if so you can just swap it out of their inventory. The All American is a good choice for your main weapon as it is lethal at both long and short range, plus ammo is fairly common.
- Uses .357 Magnum ammo
- Has the lowest Action Point cost for VATS attacks of all Sniper Rifles in New Vegas
- Requires Guns skill of only 25 and Strength of 5 for optimal use
- Has a Critical Chance Multiplier of x1.5
- Can be repaired with Cowboy Repeater rifles
La Longue Carabine
La Longue Carabine is the last of the Unique Sniper Rifles in the game. While its skill requirements are such that it could be used by a low level player, it's location means you probably wont come across it until you have levelled up a dozen times or more. The weapon is a moddified Cowboy repeater with Scope and Extended Feeder Magazine.
This is the private and much loved weapon of NCR's Corporal Sterling, stationed at Camp McCarran with the 1st Recon Sniper Division. You will need to kill him to get the rifle, which depending on how you do it has the potential to make the whole camp hostile toward you, so be careful.
Remember Sniper's love to remain hidden, and love 1 shot kills.
Note - Completing the I Don't Hurt Anymore quest will result in Corporal Sterling and the 1st recon unit relocating to Camp Forlorn Hope.
The big daddy of New Vegas Sniper Rifles. This 50 caliber rifle is easily the best Sniper Rifle in Fallout New Vegas when it comes damage inflicted by a single shot. However it's slow rate of fire means you only get 1 shot off roughly every 2 seconds. 1 shot while hidden will take care of a lot of foes for good, or at the least take a sizable chunk out of their chances of living much longer.
You can buy the Anti-Material rifle from a number of merchants in various states of repair, mostly not very good. Gun Runners should be able to sell a quality weapon if you have the caps. Ranger Veterans may carry Anti-Materiel Rifles, but they are almost always in poor condition. These weapons are expensive to repair and ammo is fairly hard to find, and expensive to buy (compared to other ammo types) so pick your targets well. You probably don't need to be using the Anti-Materiel rifle to take out a radroach, save it for the Deathclaws.
- Requires Guns skill of 100 and a Strength of 8 for optimal use
- Can only be repaired with other Anti-Materiel Rifles
- Uses .50 MG ammo - the most expensive ammo to buy
- A single shot can knock a target of its feet
- Is the heaviest Sniper Rifle in the game, and one of the heaviest Weapons in the game weighing 20 kg
Sniper Rifle Repair
New Vegas Sniper Rifles are not the cheapest weapons to repair, and can generally only be repaired with other Sniper Rifles. Because of this I would strongly suggest working towards getting the Jury Rigging Perk. This Perk is available to you at level 14 when you have a Repair Skill of 90 or higher. The Perk significantly increases the amount of weapons you can use to repair your Sniper Rifles and will help you keep your long range arsenal in tip top shape for the next hit.