Old Number 494 in White River Junction, Vermont
Old 494 Steam Engine WRJClick thumbnail to view full-size
Next to the Amtrak station in White River Junction, under a covering built especially for it, rests Old No. 494. Old 494 is a former Boston and Maine Railroad steam locomotive built by the Manchester Locomotive works of Manchester, New Hampshire way back in 1892.
This engine hauled passengers on the Boston & Maine as well as light freight. In 1911 it was renumbered as No. 905 and under that number it hauled coal for the Mount Washington Cog Railway up in Bretton Woods, NH until it was retired in 1938.
In 1939, the 905 was restored to its original No. 494 and displayed at the 1939 World's Fair .In 1956, the engine was moved to the Westboro Round House in West Lebanon, NH. It was later donated to the Town of Hartford (White River Junction is a village in Hartford) and dedicated on July 27, 1957. This equipment was placed in the National Register of Historic Places on November 13, 1995. Its on display along with a bright red caboose in the heart of White River Junction for all to enjoy.