OldGamer's Game of the Year 2016 - Let's start with FPS!
2016 - a Lazy Year!
I have to admit - with less than 10 blogposts, 2016 was one of the laziest years I have ever had in terms of writing about my facorite hobby. However, I took my time to play most of the releases we had this year. As 2016 comes to an end, I have finally kicked my butt and started this series of GOTY posts. Enjoy, share or tell me why I am outright wrong in my totally subjective judgements!
Guns, Guts and Glory!
FPS of the Year
Shooters - especially those made really well - are still among my very favorite genres. Unfortunately, straight & narrow FPS fun isn't a kind of gaming dish served very often anymore. And when it comes, it's often spiced with distracting "level your character up with smart skill tree choices" or "use social interaction for the ultimate combat experience" nonsense that works fine with other genres.
"First-person shooter (FPS) is a video game genre which is centered on gun and projectile weapon-based combat through a first-person perspective; that is, the player experiences the action through the eyes of the protagonist. The first-person shooter shares common traits with other shooter games, which in turn fall under the heading action game. From the genre's inception, advanced 3D or pseudo-3D graphics have challenged hardware development, and multiplayer gaming has been integral."
Well, that's a definition you can argue about or not. But in the end, the experience is as subjective as my ratings.
When I play a shooter, I want:
- A good reason why I am gunning around (doesn't need a oscar-worthy story, but, hey, at least a convincing menace I have to oppose!
- Lots of varying guns
- Tough or smart enemies to battle
- Skilfully created, different levels and map layouts
- Fast-paced combat or intelligent sniper / stealth mechanics, ideally both!
- Visuals that are at least o.k.
- Cool enemy design
Keeping that in mind, my choices for the FPS of the year may quite surprise you...
3rd Place: Overwatch
I am not kidding.
Despite the fact that Overwatch is pretty much everything I don't want in an FPS game, it *IS* exceptionally well-made. Yes, the comic look isn't what I want when running around with a gun, yes, it's MOBA approach isn't to everyones liking, too and - of course - it was heavily optimized for future E-sports popularity.
Still, it's such a huge load of fun I can't ignore it here, so I hand over the bronze medal to Overwatch.
Silver goes to... DOOM !
Wait, ONLY Silver?
I know, the unspoken laws of FPS gaming say that there will never be a better one than DOOM. More than 20 years after the first, ground-breaking one and 10 years after the last significant installment Doom 3, this law isn't valid anymore.
Don't get me wrong!
Doom is still and again a glorious, gory FPS experience:
- Excellent (although already-known) enemy design
- Excellent weapon design
- Excellent level-design
- Enough story to justify the violence
- Convincing visuals
- Great atmosphere
- No autoheal!
- Really cool movement and "finishing moves" (here, some innovation!)
- The BFG is back in town!
However, it suffers from some set-backs you can't ignore:
- The same enemy types like 10 or 20+ years ago trigger a certain "been there, seen that" experience
- Multiplayer is MEH
- Gameplay DOES get repititive
- You somehow expect a twist, a surprise - something that never comes along
So, in the end, it's a worthy 2nd place for this year.
And the winner is - Titanfall 2 !
All glory to Titanfall 2 !
As all ratings and GOTY lists are highly subjective, I could write "because I like it" and it would be a perfectly reasonable explanation. However, that would be lazy again, so here is my list of what I love that much about Titanfall 2:
- Excellent multi-platform execution, noone is left behind
(means it's the same brilliant stuff on PC, Xbox one and PS4)
- Glorious Multiplayer experience with smooth servers and almost-perfect match-making
- Fast-paced, yet intelligent Jump & Gun action
- Gorgeous visuals
- Very good soundtrack
- Almost-perfect balancing
- Real Mech-Feeling
- Several good game modes
- Over-the-top map design
And, both quite important & HUGE surprise:
- A really excellent campaign noone had expected
In the End, OldGamers "FPS of the Year 2016" goes out to TITANFALL 2!