PS3 Freezing Often. What Should I Do to Stop My PS3 From Freezing?
How to Fix Your PS3 When it Freezes
Last night, my friend was playing the new Final Fantasy XIII game when his PS3 froze. Having repaired my own PS3 before, I decided to check and see if I could fix my friend's machine too.
Though this isn’t related to the notorious yellow/red light problem (though in certain cases, it may be), we could still repair it.
Here is how I figured out why the machine was freezing and how to fix the problem.
Since most freezing problems on PS3 machines are caused by heat, it makes sense to cool the machine down to stop the freezes.
Next Steps If Cooling Down Doesn't Work
Here are some next steps you can take to figure out the problem:
1) Keep your PS3 in a cool place like the ground. Turn on a fan, but do not use any wet towels.
2) Restart the machine. This might stop the freezing problems. If not, try the following steps.
3) Check the game disc and make sure there are no smudges. If there are, clean them with Windex or eyeglass cleaner and a soft cloth. I use microfiber.
4) Try another game and see what happens. If it doesn’t freeze during the other game, then it could be the disk itself.
5) Check your cables. Are any of them loose? If so, then unplug them and plug back in. If this doesn't work, unplug all cables except the power cord. Once you’ve done this, plug them all back in.
6) Give your PS3 a break. Sometimes leaving it off for 24 hours will fix the problem.
Which of these steps worked for you to unfreeze your PS3?
What to Try Next to Unfreeze Your PS3
If none of these steps work, there may be a problem with the hard drive, Blue Ray drive, or software.
A good repair guide can help. I suggest using PS3 Lights Fix by Rob Sheffield. This is a simple guide with detailed videos and guides for beginners. One-on-one support is also available.
Alternately, you can send the player to Sony for repair. This may cost about $150 and can take 4-6 weeks.
How to Keep Your PS3 From Freezing
Make it easier for your machine to run game discs and start up. Here are a couple of useful tips:
• Make sure that you have at least 50% of the hard drive space free.
• Put your demos, music, and videos in a folder. It will make the PS3 start up a lot faster.