How to Play the Latest PC Games Without a Graphics Card
Have you guys wondered which graphics card to get? Well I have found a real alternative to a new graphics card here, with a software called SwiftShader 3. Using this software I have have been able to play Crysis with only a g31/g33 express chipset: the default graphics on a laptop. Without a graphics card, I have played Pro Evolution Soccer, Fear, and many more graphics-intensive games.
I tested a number of games after installing SwiftShader and recorded my results below. You can judge how well Swiftshader will work for your system. Then I go through the easy steps for how to find, download, and install the software.
Testing Conditions for SwiftShader 3
My PC specs are:
- Intel core 2 duo @ 2.70 GHz
- Win XP SP3
- 1 GB RAM
- And Intel G33 Chipset graphics card with 256 MB VRAM
After downloading and installing SwiftShader 3, I tested out the following games:
- Crysis—runs on lowest settings.
- Need For Speed: Undercover—runs on low settings.
- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands—runs on medium settings.
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2011—runs on medium settings.
- Burnout Paradise—runs on lowest settings but a bit laggy.
How to Use SwiftShader 3 (Download and Tutorial)
Step-By-Step Guide for Installing SwiftShader
Downloading and installing SwiftShader is easy. Just follow these steps:
- Download SwiftShader from its official site: http://transgaming.com/swiftshader.
- Extract the .zip file after the download is completed.
- Right-click the d3d9.dll file.
- Paste the file into your game folder.
When you open the game to play it, you'll see a SwiftShader logo in the bottom left-hand corner. You can't get rid of the logo because it's a demo; if you want to play logo-free, then you'll need to actually purchase the software.
A number of players also report lag with this method. But there's another easy fix to this problem. Just take the following steps.
How To Get Rid of SwiftShader Gameplay Lag
This fix requires downloading another piece of software, 3D Analyzer, which can emulate many of the key features of 3D games.
- Download 3D Analyzer here.
- Extract the .zip file after download completes.
- After extraction, open the file titled 3danalyzer-v236.exe.
- It will ask for a "Destination Folder." Give the location you want the file to be located.
- When completed, go to the Destination Folder and open the application called "3DAnalyze."
- When the application, click the "Select" button under the "File Selection" tab.
- Then, in the selection window, locate the original .exe of the game you wish to play (not the shortcut!)
- Below the "File Selection" tab, there are two text boxes, one labeled "VendorID" and the other "DeviceID." Next to them is a pull-down menu with the Vendor and Device IDs of four graphic cards. Select the desired graphics card you wish to simulate.
- Click "Run" and enjoy your game!
If you want to see the difference that SwiftShader 3 makes, check out the video below, which shows the gameplay of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas before and after installing SwiftShader.
More Graphics Cards Alternatives
There are also a number of other ways to boost your PC's graphics. Here are some of the other methods.
- Razer Game Booster. A free and easy to install downloadable software. This software boosts performance by turning off all the applications and programs running in the background.
- Adjust Settings. Try de-fragging your hard-drive once a week. That will help the game run faster by keeping all the files close together. Also, try lowering the resolution to 800x600.