Pokémon X and Y Walkthrough, Part One: Choosing a Starter Pokémon
Another trainer, another adventure, another championship, another Pokémon game. Welcome to the world of Kalos, a land full of mystery, intrigue, experience grinding, and, of course, new pokémon to capture. Woo!
- Begin the game. Choose a name, a gender, and a look. It ultimately makes no difference to the game.
- Go upstairs and look in the mirror to change out of your PJs.
- Back downstairs. There's nothing of interest in the house, so head outside.
- Welcome to Vaniville Village. You'll be greeted by two young trainers who will promptly run off, encouraging you to follow.
- If you want, have a look around town. You'll receive some rudimentary pointers about items and pokémon and the like, but for the most part this is a dead end. Once you're done, take the northern gate out of Vaniville Village...
Route 1 - Vaniville Pathway
- … through Route 1, which is very straightforward on the whole… -
- … and up to Aquacorde Town. Once the shouting starts, follow it to the set of tables to the west.
- Cut scene. Meet the gang, and choose a nickname for yourself. Joy.
- It's also time to choose a pokémon. Ooo, the big moment.
You have three choices for a starter: Chespin, a grass-type pokémon; Fennekin, a fire-type pokémon; and Froakie, a water-type pokémon. Which do you choose? Drumroll…
… any of them! Seriously, any of these three are perfectly good for the challenges that lie ahead. The first gym in the game will be a bug-type gym, so if you want an early lead, Fennekin is a fine choice. That said, it'll be at a disadvantage for the rock-type gym that follows, something better faced by grass- and water-type attacks. You have plenty of time in-between gyms to get other pokémon, though, so go with the pokémon you like the looks of best. All three turn out great.
- After receiving your pokémon you'll also receive a Pokedex. You'll use this device to keep track of the pokémon you see and capture in the Kalos Region. Enjoy.
- Last up, you get a Prof's Letter to give to your mom. Swell. Now you can explore the town!
- Go down the stairs to the fountain in the center of town. A man near it will give you a Potion.
- To the left of the fountain is a store that sells Poke Balls for $200. You have $3,000 to start, but you don't really need these Balls just yet. (Though on your next trip through, feel free to buy four or five.)
- Down and to the right of the fountain is a store that sells Potions for $300. Again, not necessary right now.
- Up and to the right of the fountain is a small-town equivalent of a Pokémon Center. You can bring your pokémon here and receive a quick, full heal. Handy.
- In the top-right corner of town is a photo spot that's currently inactive. Come back later.
- Last, if you try to leave Aquacorde Town by the north you'll run afoul of a dude who's unwilling to let you pass. Jerk.
- Head home. On your way you'll get into your first pokémon battle. Woo!
Pokemon Trainer Shauna
Fennekin, Froakie, or Chespin, Level 5
Your first battle is a piece of cake, as Shauna's pokémon is automatically weak to your pokemon's type. Use your elemental attack to quickly whittle it down. Three hits at the most should do it.
- Head home for real this time. Your mother will pack the essentials for your trip, including a Town Map.
- Leave the house and set out on your epic adventure. That guy in Aquacorde will now let you pass. Woo, pokémon!
Post Game Stuff
- After beating the Champion, you can meet Shauna in Vaniville Town. She'll trade you the initial stage of her starter in exchange for any pokémon you like.