Quest for Infamy Walkthrough, Act One: Brigand Cart Quest
Roehm has begun his new life as a Brigand, part of a proud tradition of beating people up and stealing their money in a forthright and honest fashion. Roehm has already returned the prize horse Mastadon to his owner, and now, on his third day in the valley, Roehm sets out to do another job for Brigand par excellence Kurdt. This means meeting one of Kurdt's contacts in the southern woods... a contact Roehm never would have expected.
- After waking up for the day and visiting Rayford at the Sheriff's office (or not - you can come back later and he'll be no more or no less surly), head across the bridge to the west of Volksville, to the place where you interacted with Kurdt on the Mastadon mission. Then head south through the trees, onto a path that's admittedly a little difficult to see.
- You'll wind up wandering through the forest a short ways, where you'll find a black bear. On other play throughs this bear will eat you for trying to pass through, and you'll have to give him a meaty snack to sneak by. As a Brigand, though...
- ... meet Chuy! He'll introduce himself and let you down into...
- Woo! A bunch of friendly jerks! Sounds like a great place. Wander around and talk to everyone, if you wish, though for the moment there are only two things you can do down here. First, you can practice with the dummy in the top-right corner of the screen. Do that enough and you'll raise Roehm's Hacking stat. Second, you can talk to Kurdt, who's sitting in the bottom-left corner.
- Ak Kurdt about Jobs. He'll tell you about a raid on a caravan that's going north, across the bridge (which doesn't currently exist). Agree to help and he'll ask to meet you on the road a short ways south of the Tower Bridge. You can get there quickly by jumping to Hermit Homestead via your Map.
- (A note regarding the Brigand's Den: Even if the Den looks like it's open, you must use the Hand tool to enter. If you try to walk down the slope Roehm will likely take the upper path that leads into the rest of the southern woods, and you won't be able to walk back to the west without leaving and walking by Volksville again. Annoying!)
Speak to Kurdt on the road to the east of Swart. He'll give you two ways of approaching this particular job:
Bloody Knuckles. Take out the guards and steal the loot. You'll have to fight one guard, and he's not that difficult if you block to conserve health and use your special attack to wipe him out.
Dirty Hands. Tie the wagon to Mastadon. He'll run off and take it with him. To do this you need to first unhitch the cart from its current horses, then slip back, grab the rope beside Mastadon, put it on the horse, and then send Mastadon on his way. You need to physically move Roehm around to accomplish these tasks, so be careful not to end him in front of the cart accidentally.
Regardless of your approach, you'll get a hefty 5000 bly from Kurdt when you return to the Bandit's Den, and either approach will earn you an achievement. (You may want to save before committing to an approach so you can do them both on the same game.)
Kurdt doesn't have any other jobs for you at the moment, so once you're done here you'd best head back to Volksville and see about getting drunk with the local farmers. Once you're done with them, come back to the Pub at night and you'll find a new face waiting... and after that, a familiar one that Roehm would love to know better. (More on all this in this general article on Act One.)