Reading Is The Key To Success
Importance of Reading (reading comprehension)
Reading is the key to success. Do you enjoy reading? Apparently entrepreneurs and every successful person develop a passion for reading. This is because reading is a key element to obtain the information required to understand something. For instance: Lawyers have to study and learn every established law on their specific branches. Sometimes the law changes according to people's needs. A good lawyer has to be informed with the latest news in the supreme court. A doctor has to be informed of the latest advances in medicine.
Reading is very important for all mankind. If you can’t read, then you can’t write. Everything is relative in this world, especially reading. Reading can open many doors and it can lead you into a path of success. Studies have confirmed that reading to your unborn child is very good. This way your child will develop a passion for reading later on.
How do you develop a passion for reading? There is only one way you can boost your passion for reading. Let me explain this to you. If you want to learn how to ride a bike, you have to get on the bike as many times as possible until you have learned. It works the same way with reading. If you want to boost your reading take a book and read it all the way through. When you finish reading your first book (mission accomplished), take another book and do the same. Try to read as much as you can. If you are going out, grab a magazine, a book, an article or something to read.
There is a very important factor behind the reading. This factor is very essential when you read. It’s what makes you understand the meaning behind the text. Let’s assume that you read a document and you are supposed to explain the meaning of the document. How would you explain the document, if you couldn’t capture the message of the author? Do you see the importance of comprehension? Reading comprehension is extremely important.
To develop your reading comprehension skill you must do the following.
- Look for keywords (which will give you a hint about what you are reading)
- Follow through the entire reading (focus)
- Analyze the text (make sure your reading make sense)
- Read softly to yourself (do not scream or yell)
- Find a place with no distractions
- When reading a book, write comments on keywords (until you get to have expertise)
- Take breaks to rest your mind (summarize what you have read)
- Read as much as you can (Magazines, newspapers, books, articles, documents, etc)
- Write as much as you can (poem, songs, stories, documentaries, etc)
All of these will help you to develop the sense of catching the message expressed behind the visual content. Is good to be open to all kind of reading. Some of you are attracted by a specific type of lecture (could be drama, suspense, romance, etc). But, an open minded could capture better any message given on a plain text.
My purpose is to show you that reading isn't just to follow the words written on a piece of paper with your eyes, but to understand the true meaning that lies behind the visual content. Very often a writer sees his written work differently than how other people do. Only he knows the true meaning of it. You should be able to decipher the message of the reading. But if you can’t decipher the secret of reading, you won’t be able to decipher its meaning.
Reading Comprehension is defined as the level of understanding of a text. Proficient reading depends on the ability to recognize words quickly and effortlessly. There are many ways you can improve your reading comprehension. The common ones are:
- Summarizing what you have read
- Monitoring your reading
- Analyzing the structure of the text
- To summarize a text you must look for keywords. If you are reading an article or a document, find the main idea which is frequently in the first paragraph.
- Monitoring your reading simply means to make sure that what you read makes sense (if you were able to make a summary of a given text, you are actually completing this task).
- When analyzing the structure of the text make sure that is properly assembled (the use of heading in science text).
How Do We Read?
Reading starts with visualizing the written words. This process allows your eyes to recognize and identify the meaning of a word. Our eyes work as scanners, but only the center of our eyes (the fovea) is capable to recognize one or two words as we read.
To best understand a text when you read, you have to train your eyes and your brain. These combined together can be the key to improve your reading comprehension.
I hope you enjoyed reading the entire blog. This is an issue that affects many people even our ancestors. Many people take reading comprehension for granted not knowing the importance it has for all mankind. In this blog I used some of my knowledge and I've included few information that I found in the web.