Sega CD: A Commentary and Pictorial History on the System's 131 Original Games
First Person Perspective
Over the years I've owned several consoles which are the Atari 2600, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sega CD and the Playstation 1, 2 and 3. The Sega CD is the only gaming console I've had in which I've owned all of the game titles. So sit back and enjoy as you get to see a history of the 131 Sega CD games. This is just the games released in America and the list does not include unreleased games.
Did You Have One?
Have you ever owned the Sega CD?
Clips of Sega CD Sports Games
Sega CD (Sports and Racing Games)
1. Bill Walsh College Football- Walsh football has an updated roster for the 93 season and the plays for each team. Also, You can take Coach Walsh's advice on offense and defense and allow him to pick plays.
2. ESPN Baseball Tonight- This game has live commentary throughout and although the graphics were too choppy the game itself was as fun as it gets especially for the time it was released.
3. ESPN National Hockey Night- This game has updated stats, season mode or practice mode. The game is fun and you can fight during gameplay. The biggest drawback is that it's played from a side careen perspective.
4. ESPN Sunday Night NFL- A fun game that allows you to pass the ball, run the ball and score touchdowns against other NFL teams. Chris Berman calls the games with constant color commentary. The only thing about this game is that Berman has to call out jersey numbers because the game didn't have rights to the players last names.
5. Formula One World Championship- This racing game was advanced for the early '90's and it used polygonal graphics and the background would rotate and zoom in and out during races. The player's original car is ordinary but as races are won the cars get much nicer and faster.
6. NBA Jam- A remake of the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo version with improved graphics and sound. The game is a two on two player B Ball game and if you hit some good shots you become, "On Fire". The dunks are outrageous but so fun to do. You can play two player mode or through a season by yourself.
7. NHL 94'- The best part about this game is the high vertical view of the rink during play. The game has awesome shoot outs, cut scenes and realistic hockey play. The game has save season and playoff mode and the best feature is being able to control the Goalie to defend shots.
8. Sensible Soccer- This game was the worst Soccer game I've ever played but it did have several first such as the first soccer video game to have referees on the screen during gameplay. The controls were hard to use and the game got boring easy.
9. Prizefighter- This was a full motion video game and I mean the entire gem was full motion. Your boxer fights in a career mode and you box from a first person perspective. The game shows shady locker room talk and other parts of Boxing's slimy side.
10. Slam City with Scottie Pippen- This is a full motion video game and it stays that way throughout the gameplay and during cut scenes. It was a cool concept but it got old quick playing in video style. It is cool that you play one on one games outside on the concrete though.
11. World Cup USA 94'- This Soccer game has over 30 playable teams from around the world and the gameplay is fast and intense. The game has digitized graphics in the background which crosses over well with the gameplay graphics.
12. Championship Soccer 94'- This Soccer game is updated with all the stash teams and players from the '93 season in the NHL. The game can be played in multiple modes but the season and World Cup modes are very hard.
13. ESPN NBA Hangtime '95- All the NBA teams, players and rules are in this game and the graphics are unique for their time during replays and slow motion seems. The big complaint with this game is that it's just to easy to dominate at and after playing several times it becomes boring.
14. FIFI International Soccer- 3D cameras are used in this game but players from Soccer are not used in the game which sucks. Otherwise the game itself is one of the top Soccer games ever and it was the first in the FIFA video game dynasty.
15. Formula One World Championship: Special Edition- Moe cars, better polygonal graphics and improved controls helped this game become a hit on the Sega CD platform. Wrecks, pit stops and steering skills are all apart of the game in this version.
16. Joe Montana Football- The game was a complete failure mainly due to the fact that it had to compete with Madden and it only let you play the game in side view. The worst part is the teams were invented teams that were not real NFL teams.
17. Links: The Challenge of Golf- This game of Golfing teaches you how to really play and it takes patience to get good at it. If you stick with it the game is pretty fun and the big shots have great graphics as the ball soars through the air.
18. NFL trivia Challenge- You do not get to actually play a football game but rather test your NFL football knowledge against either the computer of against a friend. The game shows several full motion video scenes from classic football games from the NFL's best.
19. NFL's Greatest: San Francisco vs. Dallas- This game allows you to control the action as a coach and full motion video clips play out the game as you choose the plays each down. The graphics and gameplay is okay but the plays on offense and defense are ordinary with small play books for each team.
20. WWF: Rage in the Cage- The game has 20 WWF wrestlers and lots of match choices such as: no rules, no count out, tournament mode and of course cage matches. The game has full motion video at several times in the game but not during action in the ring.
21. Jaguar XJ220- This racing game takes place in 12 countries and the graphics are tight not to mention the game allows you to change radio stations in the car which was a first at the time.
22. MegaRace- Megarace is a wild game to say the least. Your character is on a death game show where the goal is to race but to win you must kill your competition on the road. The game takes place in a futuristic world with 14 raceways to compete on.
23. BC Racing- Think, The Flintstones meet Nascar, Lol. Chuck Rock is playable in the game. Volcanoes, dinosaurs and riders who will attack are everywhere. Corny game I must admit but a true classic because it's loads of fun.
24. Racing Aces- The game uses complete 3D graphics and as a jet pilot you must win races and shoot them down with heavy firepower along the way. The game lets me down because you can only fly from behind the cockpit.
25. Road Rash- A remake of the racing game using motorcycles made for the Sega Genesis. You can race and do tricks such as flips off the heel and handle bar holds. The game is great in split screen two player mode and the music is fast rock music which fits the flow of the dirt races.
Night Trap (1992)
Night Trap Game Ending
Sega CD Fright Games
Sega CD (Horror Games)
26. Night Trap- Night Trap along with Mortal Kombat were the cause for the creation of the ratings system. This was the first official game to receive an M rating and it also is the first game to use real actors.
27. Corpse Killer- This one player, horror video game uses full motion video throughout. As a Marine, sneak through the jungle on a zombie filled island killing the freaks and save the day by killing the evil Doctor who I unleashing these zombies.
28. Dracula Unleashed- This full motion game is a cross between a horror and a role playing game. Gathering secrets, clues and keys are very important to putting a stop to the madness that is Dracula. The music and scary sound effects make this an awesome game to play in the dark.
29. Mansion of Hidden Souls- It is a point and click, horror/ adventure game. The only one on this list that's suitable for kids in fact. You must save your sister before the ghosts get her. She is in the mansion but the ghosts have a special power: the ability to turn people into butterflies.
30. Iron Helix- This game is actually hard and I never beat it, although I'm pretty far into it though. You control a robot and a ship at all times and it takes quick thinking and smart actions to win.
Sega (Founded in Hawaii)
Sega CD Classics
Sega CD (Action Games)
31. 3 Ninjas Kick Back- Choose from three different fighters and each has his own weapon. Battle using ninja skills through 8 rounds of action against all sorts of enemies until finally taking on the boss in Japan.
32. Brutal: Paws of Fury- Choose between several animals including a bear for your fighter. kick, punch, and knee opponents but in the end challenge the master Dali Llama if you dare.
33. Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside- Fight in one on one mode using karate skills and you must finish your adversary at the end just like Mortal Kombat.
34. Pitfall: Mayan Adventure- A remake of the Atari classic but with new levels and a 3D rendered background. Unlike the original, this one is fast paced and things happen quickly.
35. After Burner 3- Pilot a fighter jet armed with major ammunition and weaponry against enemy aircraft. Play in cockpit mode for the most realistic experience and aim at targets in real time. The music soundtrack in this game has 16 songs and they fit the game perfectly.
36. Android Assault- Seven levels of intense shooting and great full motion clips in between levels. Your ship's equipped with missiles, and other high tech weapons. The game is set in the future and war is breaking out between Saturn and it's bear by neighbors.
37. AX-101- In the future you must man a space ship shooting missiles and lasers at your threats as you try to save Earth from certain disaster. The game mixes Full Motion Video in at various points during play.
38. Battle Frenzy- First person point of view shooting game that takes place in outer space. 12 stages of battle against Aliens.
39. Heimdall- This game takes place upon a ship that travels to different islands. You must destroy hideous monsters as you fight Viking kings and other ancient warriors.
40. Microcosm- Shrink down to the size of an ant and infiltrate. As a small sized fighter it's time to do damage. Defeat the Alien mothership before it's too late. Poor sound effects but rather addicting game play as you search for maps, keys and clues on your missions.
41. Novastorm- A full motion video game in which you must blast through enemies in order to get to the boss. The graphics are descent and the musical score is off the charts.
42. Lords of Thunder- Seven levels of action featuring armored soldiers with swords and the evil force which can toss you around with mental powers. It's played horizontally and the game is a one player only game.
43. Kamen Rider- One or two player split screen. This game features racing but with weapons such as guns and a car loaded with rocket launchers.
44. Prince of Persia- Battle through 12 levels in animation style gameplay with a sword and fighting techniques. Watch out during dungeon fighting because dragons await you along with killers with saber swords.
45. Radical Rex- As a dinosaur you travel with a skateboard and must burn your enemies up with your hot breath. Fight on land and in the water. Dinosaurs are on the earth but sea creatures are huge so be careful.
46. Road Blaster- Chase down those responsible for kidnapping your girlfriend. The video is full animation after you choose what to do using prerecorded animated scenes. Fight thieves, killers and watch out because everyone is against you on the street.
47. Shadow of the Beast- This side scrolling video game has 12 levels and you play as a warrior out for revenge. Magical powers are used by your character. This game produced two sequels and the PS4 has a remake of the original.
48. Supreme Warrior- This game is partially full motion video but it has interactive fighting. It takes place in China and your player must save a mask before the bad guy puts it on his face and commits untold evil with its power. Great music soundtrack in this game.
49. Wing Commander- The pilot controls the jet from behind the cockpit and you must shoot down enemies of the state and destroy ground targets as well in this wartime video game. The special effects and sound effects are wicked in this game and the cut scenes are awesome as well.
50. Wolf Child- Your player is Saul and he is trying to save his father from certain doom. Saul has the ability to turn into a werewolf and destroy his enemies... or should I say Prey?! The game has five intense levels and you play in a side view fashion but the gameplay and sound are excellent and the story isn't bad either.
51. Wonder Dog- The plot is lame and the game is even worse. You play as a dog from planet K-9 who puts on a suit that turns the dog into a super hero of sorts. You and an earth boy must defeat space enemies.
Tomcat Alley (1994)
Video Game Console Ranking
Sega CD and Sega Genesis
Video Game Hubs
- Best Panasonic 3DO Video Games of All Time
This article is about the Classic video Game System made in the early 90s, the Panasonic 3DO. There were many good games for the system even though it's success was short lived.
- Video Game's Best Characters of All Time
This article Describes the best video game characters of all time including Sonic, Mario, Luigi, Link and Jak. Pictures, Videos, polls and Commentary are listed here along with illustrations of each.
- Sega Saturn's Top Games of All Time
This article is about the top games for the SEGA Saturn game Console. Area 51, Virua Fighter, Virtua Racing and Daytona USA are documented in this classic video game hub. Pictures are in this blog.
- Best Horror Video Games of All Time
This horror hub features Splatterhouse, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 2 and The Thing. Pictures, videos and commentary are listed in this scary blog. First and third person point of view are features.
- Best Handheld Video Games of all Time
This article documents games for multiple hand held consoles including the Game Boy, Game Gear and the PSP. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube video clips and commentary are also featured in this hub.
Sega CD (Full Motion Video Games)
52. Sewer Shark- This game came packed with the Sega CD originally. It is a full motion game and your character pilots a flying object through a sewer filled with mutated rats and other gross looking freaks.
53. Wirehead- This game, released in '95, is the last and possibly the best full motion game the system released. Your character is Ned. He is normal except he has a special chip inside his brain. Bizarre men are trying to kill him and you must control his movements and fight decisions.
54. Double Switch- A pretty cool interactive movie type game. Is similar to night trap. You must trap Mafia gangsters inside of a building using a security camera and traps. Near the end of the game it's cool watching the mummy steal this huge Diamond everyone is after.
55. Tomcat Alley- In this full motion video game you control a fighter jet against other enemies of the sky. Make split second decisions and watch in real video to see the results of your actions.
56. Fahrenheit- Putting out fires and saving lives in real full motion video time has never been more fun.
57. Mad Dog McCree- The best western game I've ever played. Shootouts and robbing banks are all part of the action.
58. Mad Dog McCree 2- A continuation of the first game. The wild west at your fingertips.
59. Ground Zero Texas- You must defend Texas using four full motion video camera angles in this one player game in which you must find the Aliens attackers and kill them with a special laser beam.
60. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers- One or two players can battle as the Power Rangers in full motion real time. Truth be told the game is fast loading but the footage is grainy.
61. Cobra Command- Shoot missiles and machine guns from your chopper at enemy forces in the air and on the ground.
62. Kamen Rider- Play as a half man half insect. Protect the planet from crime with a unique fighting style.
63. Sherlock Holmes- Solve crimes by using clues and maps in this full motion detective game.
64. Sherlock Holmes 2- Continue playing as Sherlock Holmes and preventing crimes.
65. Surgical Strike- Fight enemies from a hovercraft that has many, many weapons for war.
view quiz statistics
Cliffhanger (Sega CD)
Sega CD (Games Based On Movies)
66. Bram Stoker's Dracula- Defeat Dracula in the end but first deal with bats, Hell Dogs, huge rats and freaks from the other side. The game has awesome backgrounds with 3D graphics and rotating backdrops during gameplay. You have a whip, knife and fighting skills in this game based on the film.
67. Cliffhanger- Play as Sly Stallone in this adventure game. You have guns, knives and fighting skills to use as you battle past criminals. This game has a cool level in which your skiing down a snowy mountain and dodging rocks and other people.
68. Demolition Man- The game is based on the film and uses movie clips and the same story line for the game. The game is rather easy to complete which is a disappointment.
69. The Lawnmower Man- This game features 3D rendered levels and it is basically an interactive movie that follows the motion picture closely.
70. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein- Based on the film and the cut scenes are directly from the movie. The graphics are a bit choppy but the gameplay is entertaining.
71. Jurassic Park- This is the only point & click Jurassic Park game ever released. The game allows 12 hours to escape prehistoric beasts and nab a huge egg.
72. Hook- Follows the film closely with actual movie clips. The game takes place primarily on a pirate ship.
73. Star Wars Chess- Play chess Star Wars style. Be careful making moves cause one mistake and your are done.
74. Star Wars: Rebel Assault- Play in a ship shooting enemies in space. The best Star Wars game on any Sega console.
75. The Terminator- In this game you have guns and other weaponry to help kill the Terminator. The game has original film clips at the end of each level.
Sonic CD (199
Sonic CD: Video Game Review
Sega CD (Adventure Games)
76. Sonic CD- Sonic CD was made specifically for the Sega CD. It is similar in play to Sonic 1 and 2 with new levels, better graphics and far better sound on the Sega CD rather than just the Genesis.
77. The Adventures of Willie Beamish- A point and click, cartoon style game. Play as a teenage boy named Willie as he attends schools and tries to get out of class. Also, roam the halls and play with items in your room at home.
78. The Adventures of Batman and Robin- Ten levels with ten bosses and the game is based off of the Animated Series from television. Besides side scrolling action this version has two chase scene levels where, as Batman, you control the Batmobile and in the next level fly the Batwing through the city.
79. Spiderman vs. Kingpin- This one player game lets the user play as Spiderman. You can deal with criminals with kicks, punches and spinning them in web. Battle past minor thugs until you reach the final stage and battle it out with your nemesis, Kingpin.
80. Batman Returns- Batman Returns was awesome for 1993 because all the racing stages used 3D which made he Batmobile and the background really stand out. The game follows the film of the same name closely. As Batman you can use the Batarang, smoke, punches and kicks to make it to the Penguin and conquer the game.
81. Ecco the Dolphin- Play as a bottlenose dolphin and swim through the ocean killing enemies. Ecco can ram into objects and he can also sing to make enemies flee the scene. Ecco is a single player game.
82. Ecco: Tides of Time- Ecco part 2 continues where the first game left off. Ecco must come up for air occasionally and he uses sonar to destroy enemies in his path.
83. Dragon's Lair- A true classic. Dragon's Lair is one of only three video games to be in the Smithsonian Institute. A one player game in which Dirk the Knight must save his future wife, the Princess, who is being held captive from the fire breathing Dragon.
84. Earthworm Jim: Special Edition- This one player, run and gun game had great colors and it was hilarious with constant jokes being told. The complaint would be that a six year old could beat the game. Too easy.
85. Mickey Mania- This single player game takes you through Mickey Mouse cartoons from the 1920s all the way through the 90s. Play as Mickey, himself, and battle past seven stages. Mickey can jump on enemies and crush them dead or he can shoot them with different colored marbles. A bit repetitive but, still it was fun to play.
86. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs- Single player, rail shooter. The game has full motion video before and after each level. It was fun for a while but far too easy to beat.
87. Chuck Rock-Side scrolling, one player game. Think of it as Tomb Raider with a comedic flow. As the caveman Chuck Rock You will toss rocks at enemies or belly bop them. All throughout the game battle prehistoric creatures.
88. Chuck Rock 2- This is like part one except you play as Chuck's son and you have a caveman club in addition to tossing rocks.
89. Dune- Science fiction meets the military in this on player game based on the book of the same name. As you drive aliens from planet dune you must alsotake are of asll aspects of it.
90. The Misadventures of Flink- An excellent musical soundtrack and the graphics are cool but this is an immature game for five year olds sat best.
91. Panic- In this one player game navigate through a puzzle with a mouse or controller. Teleport through stages trying to solve a computer bug.
92. Popful Mail- This side scroller fighting game doubles as a role playing game. Punch, kick, jump and solve clues using maps, keys and brains.
93. Iron Helix- Control the robot and the mechanical elements of this ship. Great music and intense game-play at times. This 2D game has 3D maps and backgrounds.
94. Rise of the Dragon- Cartoonish cut scenes are very slow loading which makes the game kind of boring. You use a cursor to move around through levels but, the game is very hard also. As a detective you have to get clues and talk to people. Say the wrong thing, and you will be stuck in the last section of the game for good. Lame.
95. Sole-Feace- Control a ship in outer space shooting enemies with lasers and missiles. Eight levels await you with a space alien boss at the end of each stage. The music and sound effects were top notch but, the game was average at best.
96. Soul Star- This 3D shooter takes place in space and it is a direct competitor for Star Fox on Nintendo. This one or two player game has intense sound effects and music as well as outstanding 3D rendered graphics.
97. Space Ace- This game is an animated game in which your decisions affect the outcome. You play as Space Ace but, you get lasered on to become a little kid again.
98. Starblade- This rail shooter is famous for having 3D graphics during the entire game. Sound and graphics are excellent for the time but the game was so simple to conquer which made it fun for only a week.
99. Time Gal- Time Gal came out in 1992 and it utilizes full motion video to complete fight moves during action. Use time travel to warp into during areas and periods of time.
Sega CD Classics
Crime Patrol (1994)
Sega CD on Amazon
Sega CD (Crime Games)
100. Crime Patrol- A rookie cop shoots his pistol at criminals and eventually works his way up the ranks. In this one player game you shoot with a light gun or you can use the Genesis control. The graphics are choppy but if you play with a light gun it's rather entertaining.
101. Lethal Enforcers- This game was rated M and it came packaged with a laser gun that you used to kill criminals instead of using a normal controller. It was in first person view and the thugs are in photograph form which looks quite realistic.
102. Lethal Enforcers 2- Gunfighters was the sequel which picks up where the first one ends. It is a one or two person game and you play at the same time. Fight in the Old West using cannons, shotguns and revolvers.
103. Snatcher- As a cop in a futuristic society use your guns and brains to destroy these robots that take human lives and then replace them.
Sega CD Video Game Console Review
Sega's Video Game Consoles
Sega Master System
Sega CD (Fighting Games)
104. Final Fight CD- This video game can be played in one player or two player, simultaneous mode. You fight through several rounds with a boss at the end of each round. Bats, knives, pipes, garbage cans, chains and more are used along with kicking, punching and throwing opponents.
105. Mortal Kombat- A CD version of the original cartridge version with better graphics and improved sound quality. Fight in one on one fights and the winner gets to "Finish Him" with his own specific death move.
106. Black Hole Assault- This game was made only for the Sega CD and it is part 2 of a game that was titled Heavy Nova. To be honest I did not like this game at all. You battle past 8 stages fighting very big and tall robots.
107. Samurai Shodown- Two players fight at the same time either against each other or against other fighters using weaponry such as swords. Also, each battler has a finishing move similar to Mortal Kombat except not near as brutal.
Sega CD + Game Shows= Fun Times
Sega CD (Games and Game Show Games)
108. Wheel of Fortune- This game is based on the television show of the same name and it allows you to create a character or play in two player mode.
109. Jeopardy- Jeopardy is just like the show of the same name and it can be played in one or two player mode.
110. Trivial Pursuit- Trivial Pursuit was based on the Family Channel T.V. Show called Trivial Pursuit. One or two players and build your own characters and show your brain power.
Sega Video Game Classics
Sega CD (Music and More)
111. INXS: Make my Video- Direct and build a video with Inxs performing three of their hit songs.
112. Kris Kross: Make my Video- Make three Kris Kross videos and control the backgrounds and the colors.
113. Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Make my Video- Direct and produce three Marky Mark videos and control all aspects of the video shoot.
114. Power Factory: Featuring C+C Music Factory- Make music like a professional and then sit back and watch the video presentations.
115. Sega Classics: Arcade Collection- This game compilation consists of several Sega Genesis games including Shinobi, Sonic the Hedgehog and Golden Axe.
116. Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia- This CD-ROM is a full size Encyclopedia that helps you navigate and learn.
117. Flashback- This one player game has 3D graphics and the story is a deep one filled with plot twists and turns throughout.
118. Heart of the Alien- My favorite all time Sega CD game next to Prizefighter. The music, sounds and unique poly graphics make this game different than the norm. Battle outer space aliens in their territory.
119. Flying Squadron- A one or two player airplane racing game. If your really good you can play by doing flips in mid air but truthfully the graphics are choppy and the 6 levels can be beaten easily.
120. Who Shot Johnny Rock? Play as a detective, investigate and solve a murder. Play the game in pool halls and casinos. One player game with descent load time and an even better plot.
121. Wild Woody- This was actually the final game produced for the console and it was poorly put together. Single player game where the main character Woody erases his enemies and draws things and they appear. Wow, really?
RPG Sega CD Game Scenes
Sega CD (Role Playing Games)
122. Dark Wizard- This role playing game is actually very long and difficult to beat. The cut scenes give tips and tell the plot with Anime style cartoons. You play on a map layout with four warriors to control.
123. Dungeon Explorer- This is an action, role playing game about demons and it uses religion throughout such as having Judas betray the King. You can play as several characters even a witch. Deal with Aliens on land and even worse in the dungeons.
124. Dungeon Master 2- This RPG is a point & click game that requires survival skills and brains to win in the end. Always stay healthy, rested and fed just like real life. This one player game was released in 1993.
125. Eye of the Beholder- Play in first person mode as you traverse through dungeons full of killer dwarfs with the help of four fighters. Bring back the dead but hope the ones you bring back are on your side.
126. Lunar - This role playing game is played from a top down style and two can play at the same time. The world of Lunar is under attack and you got to save the day. Destroy enemies with weaponry or magic spells.
127. Lunar 2- This is a full motion video, role playing game in which you must master the art of slaying dragons because a huge, fire breathing dragon is on your heels. This game is the second best seller of all time among Sega CD games.
128. Power Monger- This strategic RPG is played using a 3 Dimensional textured map. The game is realistic in the sense that snow, rain and sleet fall and the people of the town live their lives eating, fishing, etc.
129. Secret of Monkey Island- Solve puzzles as a pirate wannabe in this point and click RPG. The game is fairly easy and mainly focuses on tracking across the land and locating items.
130. Shining Force CD- Fight against the enemy using earned weapons but remember every action you take has a different consequence.
131. The Third World War- Choose a country any country and build it from the ground up. You can play in the past, present or the future. Build the economy and of course the military power.
© 2015 Buster Johnson