Star Wars: the Old Republic
About Star Wars: The Old Republic
Star Wars: The Old Republic is the first MMORPG created by Bioware. They are known for their excellent single-player RPG games like Neverwinter Nights and Dragon Age. SWTOR actually follows the tradition of Bioware's story-driven RPGs, and is one of the few MMORPGs with player choices in quests, fully voiced dialogues, smart NPC companions, and cinematic experience. Read on to find out more about the game, its most interesting features, system requirements, and so on.
Some of the most exciting things about the game
Enter the Star Wars universe by choosing one of the eight iconic classes such as Bounty Hunter, Jedi Consular or Sith Warrior. Make meaningful choices as you progress through the story. Recruit many different companions and build or break relationships with them. SWTOR also offers PvP, guilds, multi-group Operations, star ship combat and more.
- Eight iconic classes: choose from distinct classes like Jedi Knight, Trooper, Imperial Agent, and Sith Inquisitor. Each class has its own abilities, backstory and quests - there's no re-used content. Once you achieve level 10, you may further specialize your character by choosing an Advanced Class.
- Fully voiced dialogues: no more skipping boring quest logs - it's now a cinematic experience. SWTOR offers 40+ novels worth of script and employs hundreds of different actors to give every character a voice.
- Elaborate storyline: this might be an MMORPG, but that doesn't mean its story is any worse than that of a single player RPG. You an play through the game as a hero, and make meaningful choices that have real impact on your progression.
- Explore the galaxy: visit tens of different planets like Korriban, Tython, Alderaan, Tatooine, Corellia and Ilum, and experience stunningly diverse environments.
- Companions: you can recruit several different companions, adventure and finish quests together, build relationships and even experience romance and love. Each companion has their own opinions and expertise.
- Player versus Player: yes, you can slice your enemies with your lightsaber or blast them with Force lightning! The game offers open-world PvP (in certain areas), instanced Warzones, and Duels. Watch a Warzone preview video.
- Starships: what would Star Wars be without starships? With the Galactic Strongholds expansion, SWTOR allows guilds to launch Guild Flagships, and fly around the galaxy conquering planets for their cause.
Join the Fight Trailer
SWTOR classes introduction video.
Minimum System Requirements
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz
Windows XP and later
Windows XP: 1.5 GB RAM
Vista and Win 7: 2 GB RAM
A minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 support required:
ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
Broadband internet connection
If your PC barely meets these requirements, it would probably be wise to upgrade your CPU, RAM and video card. While these requirements are listed in the official FAQ, the game is unlikely to be playable during mass PvP or in crowded locations with a system like that.
SWTOR vs WoW Poll
Will SWTOR beat World of Warcraft in popularity?
Star Wars: The Old Republic Strategy Guide
New offering from the pro gamers at KillerGuides
KillerGuides is known for creating some of the best MMO game guides in the industry, and their Star Wars: the Old Republic unofficial Strategy Guide is no exception.
This detailed compendium shows you how to level at record-breaking speeds, lists datacron locations, offers walkthroughs for every important mission, gives tips on professions and their skills, and explains the secrets of making credits fast. Also available in German and French.